Range of steal and cbet

Hey guys, my name is Wegis Silveira, I just signed up pokerforum.

I need a help to adjust my range of steal in cash.

Analyzing my stats I realized that despite my percentage of steals not be as high, at times I try to steal with very weak hands. For example, in one hand I tried a steal of BTN with 62o and got BB's call; on board (QAQ) I made the cbet of a half pot and received call. dropped on the turn, of course.

I know the cbet was horrible, but which range steal you advise me? and what better way to make a continuation bet or not?

Comments

• like most poker strat questions, the answer is it depends.

some questions you need to answer first are:

1) is this full ring or short handed? (probably a lot more blind stealing in 6 max compared to 9 max)
    2) how often are you opening preflop normally? (if you are tight then you can probably attempt to steal more often, for example)
    3) what are the tendencies in the opponents you are stealing from? (if they are really tight, you can probably steal more, for example)

your stealing range can change drastically depending on these above factors.

as far as cbetting goes, i tend to cbet a lot, especially if i'm up against only one opponent. i don't have numbers in front of me but i'd assume it's like 80%+. against multiple opponents however, that number will drop a lot.

in your example, i would not say the cbet was horrible at all. you were repping a good hand. you could have easily had Ax and made a standard cbet, for example. i personally think the steal attempt with 62o was probably not the best play as it has to be a complete bluff to win the hand more or less. 65o or other low and connected cards are slightly better, but a three gapper that low is junk. just muck it.

EDIT: i suck at poker though, but it's just been so long since someone asked a strat question that i felt excited to write a response.
  • Oh, thanks Trigs.

I really understood your observations. All you spoke make much sense and i'll try to adapt my game to every situation.
    On the issues, i play 6 max and lately i usually be loose-agressive, stats like 35/29, in the micro limites. In this limits do you have some example about range?

My real goal is to become a solid player online and go to live, because of this i don't intend play high stakes online.

thanks again!
  • wegispoker wrote: »
    Oh, thanks Trigs.

I really understood your observations. All you spoke make much sense and i'll try to adapt my game to every situation.
    On the issues, i play 6 max and lately i usually be loose-agressive, stats like 35/29, in the micro limites. In this limits do you have some example about range?

My real goal is to become a solid player online and go to live, because of this i don't intend play high stakes online.

thanks again!

from the little i've read, you can have a button opening range of almost 80%. again though, this is player specific. if blinds have shown a willingness to 3bet preflop a lot, then you may have to tighten up a bit as hands like weak aces probably lose some value, for example. although, it may be possible to keep your range mostly in tact and up your 4betting % as well in that specific situation

again, very player specific, but i'm opening a lot on the button. i'm mostly a nit and i'm still opening the button like 65%-70% of the time or higher. i mostly play 6 max PLO though and i open the button with practically anything.
  • Oh sure. this is very enlightening to me. Thanks so much.

I really will adapt my game. Your example was very helpful.