Poker League Points Formula help!

I am trying to put together a satellite series and I don't want to use a simple points structure of 10 points for 1st, 9 for 2nd or anything of that nature. I would like to build a formula that can take in account the finishing position, player knockouts, level lasted, time busted more factors than just win or lose to create a formula for points ranking for this satellite series.

Bad news is I am pretty bad with this stuff, so if there is anyone out there that has one or can create one for me I would greatly appreciate it. Also I know when I used to go to AJs games back at ching hill, he had a formula that counted hits and so forth, if anyone maybe has that I would also love to take a look.

Anyone able to help?

Comments

• I am trying to put together a satellite series and I don't want to use a simple points structure of 10 points for 1st, 9 for 2nd or anything of that nature. I would like to build a formula that can take in account the finishing position, player knockouts, level lasted, time busted more factors than just win or lose to create a formula for points ranking for this satellite series.

Bad news is I am pretty bad with this stuff, so if there is anyone out there that has one or can create one for me I would greatly appreciate it. Also I know when I used to go to AJs games back at ching hill, he had a formula that counted hits and so forth, if anyone maybe has that I would also love to take a look.

Anyone able to help?

If this is a satellite series, I don't think the dynamic formula is a good one. Too many skewing variables where the skill of a poker player (IE # players knocked out) aren't accounted for.

OPT uses a formula that accounts for #players, #levels lasted, etc. If its just a league, this really works.
  • Im confused, on the OPT site for the main event satellite series it is listed like 1st 20 pts, 2nd 17pts and so on. I would like to account for a players skill making it to bubble, making it 8 rounds opposed to knock out first hand etc.... or do you feel that this type of formula is not good for a satellite series and just purely base it on finishing position as my understanding of the opt structure is?
  • What difference does it make how long a player lasts? Last is last, first is first. If a player has the right equity and gets it all in on the first hand and loses, it doesn't mean he has less skill than someone who gets garbage for the first 20 hands and loses with AA on a 4 flush, 4 straight board.
  • OPT Satellite Series is just the points listed on where a players finishes.

In the OPT League the points takes number of players in a tournament and the round you bust in.

If you have an epic heads up match in the league the you end up with more points then those that say last one hand at HU.
  • Your definately not wrong, getting it in with the best and losing does not deter from skill, but you can't get rid of variance in the game. But doesn't something also say for someone who plays a patient enough game and is disciplined enough to make it deep even being on a short stack say for 3 hours vs I'm at 8 bb let's just shove and you either win or lose. My point is not to be able to factor in everything because you just can't. I think a point system that rely only on finishing spots is just part of the story. Someone gets dealt aces every time someone else gets qq or kk doesn't make that person better. But folding the qq when your behind and patiently waiting or playing the game should count for something as well. Of a person goes deep 8 of 10 games but finishes 4th but someone wins 1 and finishes 3rd another and is out the rest of the games in the first level doesn't seem right to me either.

The point is how can I come up with a formula that factors more things in other than finishing spots. If it just isn't right or doesn't make sense to all the players then it will be a standard point system, I would just like to try so.ething different.

Can anyone help with a formula?
  • Steve just hit the nail on the head with regards to his league formula, that is what I am getting at. I appreciate your feedback steve as that is what I am looking for. Would you mind sharing the formula you use for points for the league?
  • SteveKerr wrote: »
    OPT Satellite Series is just the points listed on where a players finishes.

In the OPT League the points takes number of players in a tournament and the round you bust in.

If you have an epic heads up match in the league the you end up with more points then those that say last one hand at HU.

While that premise is interesting, it lends itself to collusion, no ? I get heads up with someone, I would want to make it last as many rounds as possible, for more points. Same with 3 - 4 handed even.
  • djgolfcan wrote: »
    While that premise is interesting, it lends itself to collusion, no ? I get heads up with someone, I would want to make it last as many rounds as possible, for more points. Same with 3 - 4 handed even.

But you want to win the money. So it ends whe. It ends. If you make a deal. Then One hand is played, cards face up. Winner of that gets 1st place points
  • SteveKerr wrote: »
    But you want to win the money. So it ends whe. It ends. If you make a deal. Then One hand is played, cards face up. Winner of that gets 1st place points

True enough, I guess it depends on prize for the league winner. Which is probably more chips in the league ending game, not money.
  • I am trying to put together a satellite series and I don't want to use a simple points structure of 10 points for 1st, 9 for 2nd or anything of that nature. I would like to build a formula that can take in account the finishing position, player knockouts, level lasted, time busted more factors than just win or lose to create a formula for points ranking for this satellite series.

Anyone able to help?

Bad idea.

The person with the most money is the winner.