tournament satellites a good idea?

interesting article from one of my favourite poker strategy writers andrew brokos. he brings into question the legitimacy of playing satellites to enter into larger buy-in tournaments. thought i'd share.

Thinking Poker: Are Tournament Satellites Alchemy or Fool

Comments

• I was just reading that yesterday. Was wondering if the article was correct in that generally the rake works out to be much higher for satellites?? I've never really played them but had assumed it was relatively equal.

(Example from article was $50 for a 1/12 shot at a $480 - is that the norm??)
  • #rakefreeftw
    #billsthough
  • Bfillmaff wrote: »
    I was just reading that yesterday. Was wondering if the article was correct in that generally the rake works out to be much higher for satellites?? I've never really played them but had assumed it was relatively equal.

(Example from article was $50 for a 1/12 shot at a $480 - is that the norm??)

i was also curious about that point. i'm really not sure how the rake for satellites normally works.
  • pkrfce9 wrote: »
    #rakefreeftw
    #billsthough

thanks but i'll stick to satellites that actually pay out the tickets to the winners.