PLO hand from 8 game

i was playing some 8 game on stars and had the following hand come up. no stats or HUD since it's 8 game. villain seemed to be pretty fishy and was playing fairly loose in most games.

PokerStars 8-Game (Omaha Pot Limit, $0.05/$0.10 USD)
Table 'Spitzer III' 6-max Seat #5 is the button
Seat 1: BB ($11.68 in chips)
Seat 2: UTG ($9.04 in chips)
Seat 4: HERO ($9.96 in chips)
Seat 5: BUTTON ($7.55 in chips)
Seat 6:VILLAIN ($5.14 in chips)
VILLAIN: posts small blind $0.05
BB: posts big blind $0.10
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to HERO [Js Td Kd 9s]
UTG: folds
HERO: raises $0.25 to $0.35
BUTTON: folds
VILLAIN: raises $0.65 to $1
BB: folds
HERO: calls $0.65
*** FLOP *** [9c Jc 2s]
VILLAIN: bets $1.80
HERO: raises $5.61 to $7.41
VILLAIN: calls $2.34 and is all-in
Uncalled bet ($3.27) returned to HERO
*** TURN *** [9c Jc 2s] [6d]
*** RIVER *** [9c Jc 2s 6d] [7d]

what do you think about this flop play? villain didn't have a big stack to start the hand. his reraise preflop had me thinking he had something like AAxx or KKxx although a strong connected hand was possible (however slightly less likely at this level i think as people rarely reraise preflop without holding AAxx).

i only hold top two which in omaha isn't the greatest. also, i'm needing the Q gutshot and i only have a runner runner flush draw.

i think i played it this way because of his stack size (if that makes any difference).

Comments

• Of course effective stacks make a difference...as played it's ok for 50bb as long as you don't play it this way deep. As stated, you don't just have top 2, you have top 2 and a gutshot and an overcard and a backdoor flush...those things make a big difference in hands if you want to get better at PLO.

I generally always raise 3/4 pot pre (I open lots of hands) so that the pot is smaller when I get 3b pre...I would rather have more streets to play (when deeper) as this gives me a greater advantage than shoving it all in on a flop. Players make much larger errors when you get them all in on a turn without proper drawing odds...it's hard to make them make big mistakes aioflop in PLO as without any math what looks like a nice hand is probably getting the right odds to get it in on the flop.

PS -- I should have lots of time off this month, if you are playing PLO online let me know and we could go over hands, etc. if you want
  • I would play it the same as you. GII. My guess is AAxx or AKKx with nut flush draw. With his stack size and in SB he is looking to get most of his stack in on the flop. If he flopped a set of J, unlucky and reload.
    I like to reraise often with wrap style hands (89TJ) in position. In 8 game even more at this level because the players are usually softer and they tend to only put you on premium hands. With this being said watch him have 89TJ.

Please post his hand once you receive enough responses.
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    PS -- I should have lots of time off this month, if you are playing PLO online let me know and we could go over hands, etc. if you want

that would be greatly appreciated!
  • trigs wrote: »
    that would be greatly appreciated!

sure, let's try and play a few sessions together...what/where/when do you usually play?
    Of course effective stacks make a difference...as played it's ok for 50bb as long as you don't play it this way deep. As stated, you don't just have top 2, you have top 2 and a gutshot and an overcard and a backdoor flush...those things make a big difference in hands if you want to get better at PLO.

pretty sure that's at least two or three times you've corrected me on this mistake. something i definitely have to work on.
    I generally always raise 3/4 pot pre (I open lots of hands) so that the pot is smaller when I get 3b pre...I would rather have more streets to play (when deeper) as this gives me a greater advantage than shoving it all in on a flop. Players make much larger errors when you get them all in on a turn without proper drawing odds...it's hard to make them make big mistakes aioflop in PLO as without any math what looks like a nice hand is probably getting the right odds to get it in on the flop.

i'll try to keep this in mind next session. also, i'm assuming i'm playing tighter than you normally do (i fold sometimes ;)).

and due to this being 8 game, the stacks are generally shorter than in a regular PLO game.
  • payperview wrote: »
    I would play it the same as you. GII. My guess is AAxx or AKKx with nut flush draw. With his stack size and in SB he is looking to get most of his stack in on the flop. If he flopped a set of J, unlucky and reload.
    I like to reraise often with wrap style hands (89TJ) in position. In 8 game even more at this level because the players are usually softer and they tend to only put you on premium hands. With this being said watch him have 89TJ.

Please post his hand once you receive enough responses.

i will post results later.
    sure, let's try and play a few sessions together...what/where/when do you usually play?

usually stars, but i could do full tilt or party as well.

i play up to $.25-$.50. i prefer 6 max.

during the week i sometimes can get some hands in afternoon to evening. weekends i'm pretty much free all day. i usually play in the afternoons.
  • cool, I work 4 days and then am off for 10 so we will set something up
  • well i guess i'm not getting any other comments so i'll post the rest of the hand.

fyi, i was concerned about this hand for my flop push and not for the results below (in white):

villain shows KhKs8h5s and wins with the straight
  • You were in great shape when the money went in. Just an unlucky run out.