Best paint colour for poker room?

Which paint colour have you found best while playing online poker? I have my own bedroom, which is white and empty right now, so I want to paint it a better colour to make me less sleepy and distracted while playing poker.

I have no problems with tilt or sleeping after a losing day, so I don't need a relaxing or anti-tilt colour. The colour of the new engineered hardwood flooring is maple hazelnut below.

blondefish-albums-wpt-montreal-picture246-maple-hazelnut-engineered-hardwood-flooring.jpeg

Comments

• I stay completely out of the whole discussion when it comes to colour choices for customers. I may tell them certain things like darker colours in smaller rooms will make the room appear even smaller.

When you narrow your colour selections down to a small range/selection, go grab some tester pots of them. Put some on walls in various locations in the room. For example on a wall opposite the windows, on a wall around the windows, etc. Then look at them at various points during the day as appearance of colours can change based on lighting. Generally I advise people not to skip this part as it really sucks when people pick a colour and you finish the room and they hate it.

Or in one case where I painted out the main floor of someones house while they were away on vacation. They picked the colours, skipped the last step and said it would be fine. They returned, hated it and had me repaint the whole thing at huge expense.
  • I stay completely out of the whole discussion when it comes to colour choices for customers. I may tell them certain things like darker colours in smaller rooms will make the room appear even smaller.

When you narrow your colour selections down to a small range/selection, go grab some tester pots of them. Put some on walls in various locations in the room. For example on a wall opposite the windows, on a wall around the windows, etc. Then look at them at various points during the day as appearance of colours can change based on lighting. Generally I advise people not to skip this part as it really sucks when people pick a colour and you finish the room and they hate it.

Or in one case where I painted out the main floor of someones house while they were away on vacation. They picked the colours, skipped the last step and said it would be fine. They returned, hated it and had me repaint the whole thing at huge expense.

This is very solid advice Bill, but I hope you repainted the room at huge expense to them, not to yourself.
    BlondeFish wrote: »
    Which paint colour have you found best while playing online poker? I have my own bedroom, which is white and empty right now, so I want to paint it a better colour to make me less sleepy and distracted while playing poker.

I have no problems with tilt or sleeping after a losing day, so I don't need a relaxing or anti-tilt colour. The colour of the new engineered hardwood flooring is maple hazelnut below.

The whole concept of colour affecting mood is a bit of a misnomer. i.e. A red room is not more likely to make you tilt.

What does have merit, however, is lighting. If you want to stay more alert, maximize your sunlight into the room and change your lighting from soft white bulbs to cool white. Paint can help in this regard by keeping your colours light. Having the hardwood flooring will also help.

Also, make sure you have good air circulation.
  • Is this real life
  • Card Dead wrote: »
    This is very solid advice Bill, but I hope you repainted the room at huge expense to them, not to yourself.

Oh god yes! Not just a room either. Entire main floor. Big house.

Only time I paint for free is when I blow a quote, which I do every now and again. I'm terrible at quoting stuff, usually when there's a boatload of furniture, etc. in the work area.
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    Is this real life

You do realize there's an entire industry built around answering questions like the one BF asked. If it was a doctors/lawyers/psychologist's office would that make it different?

Hell, last year I painted out one of the local vet clinics. They spent days going over colour fans trying to figure out what went well with all the stuff in the exam rooms/waiting room, etc. Strangely the place ended up with some sort of Sesame Street colour combo, not sure how they came up with that.
    Is this real life
    equals "RookieC tho" ;)
  • Oh, if you're doing the ceilings, don't forget to move your couch to the center of the room and cover it with Poly before painting.
  • Very interesting having 2 painters on here providing advice... lol.. Maybe we need a paint off? Techniques, etc.. I imagine they both have different ways of doing things, ie do you both do baseboards freehand, what needs taping , what doesn't, do you use drop cloths when doing ceilings, any difference if you are painting popcorn vs flat?

Are these good tips?

http://www.familyhandyman.com/painting/techniques/10-interior-house-painting-tips-painting-techniques-for-the-perfect-paint-job/view-all

Sorry for the derail Buddy.. >:D
  • compuease wrote: »
    Very interesting having 2 painters on here providing advice... lol.. Maybe we need a paint off? Techniques, etc.. I imagine they both have different ways of doing things, ie do you both do baseboards freehand, what needs taping , what doesn't, do you use drop cloths when doing ceilings, any difference if you are painting popcorn vs flat?

Sorry for the derail Buddy.. >:D

Real painters don't use tape for the same things non-painters would think of using it for. If someone needs tape to make a straight line, they're a hack, unless it's in the middle of a wall.

Use drop sheets no matter what you're working on. Floors are expensive.

Most of those tips aren't a bad idea. Two is kind of weird "mix several cans"? How big is this room you're painting!? If you're doing a very large area, boxing paints isn't a bad idea. I don't usually bother because I'd buy all the paint at the same time and have is shaken at the same time. Three, I've already addressed. No taping edges. Unless you're spraying, which I don't do.
  • You do realize there's an entire industry built around answering questions like the one BF asked. If it was a doctors/lawyers/psychologist's office would that make it different?

Perhaps. There are more factors to consider in the above mentioned spaces. I can decide the colour of my own bedroom. Having a love of architecture I can see the validity of such an industry for pesonal spaces as many people have zero taste.

What is a sesame street colour scheme? Yellow green red and blue? In have been looking at clinics for sale and okanahan vet clinic has to rival your sesame street clinic...take a google and let me know.
    Perhaps. There are more factors to consider in the above mentioned spaces. I can decide the colour of my own bedroom. Having a love of architecture I can see the validity of such an industry for pesonal spaces as many people have zero taste.

What is a sesame street colour scheme? Yellow green red and blue? In have been looking at clinics for sale and okanahan vet clinic has to rival your sesame street clinic...take a google and let me know.

I would agree in that I'd never ask for help in that regard as well for my own living space, however like you say some people have no taste whatsoever. Absolutely not saying that BF doesn't, some people just need help/reassurance/suggestions.

Yep, bright red/blue/banana yellow/green. It actually looked pretty bright and happy I guess.

The Okanagan clinic is pretty similar, they used more yellows throughout than the clinic here. Each room here was a very different colour. The clinic here used a lot of antique/rustic furniture from old farm houses. That looked pretty nice.

They've since moved, but I'll be heading up there today to address our female dogs very infected/impacted (not sure what word to use) ANAL gland. I'll take a peek to see what colours they used at the new clinic as I didn't even notice last time I was in there.

Sorry Buddy, this was a complete derail. Go to your local Benjamin Moore outlet. Tell them some of the colours currently in there on non wall surfaces (ie.furniture, floors, curtains, etc.) They'll give you a general range of what might go well with those. Also mention what sort of 'vibe' you're hoping to get by painting and the particular purpose of the room.
  • Live Update:

Wildbill now offering rake-free painting and decorating advice.

:D
  • Card Dead wrote: »
    Live Update:

Wildbill now offering rake-free painting and decorating advice.

:D

You mean I'm not getting paid for that? Time for some editing!

"Paint all surfaces Lantern Black. Use slow drying industrial epoxy infused oil base paint, thinned with gasoline. Smoke while applying. Do not ventilate. All surfaces must be dry ice blasted first followed my a muriatic acid etching as preparation."
  • Now that's MY kind of party.
  • Oh, if you're doing the ceilings, don't forget to move your couch to the center of the room and cover it with Poly before painting.

There's a guy here in the business, he can probably give you a quote.
  • Buddy, use my avatar for one wall. It is a piece from the National Art Gallery in Ottawa, and it is the size of a good sized wall. Seeing as how it is valued at $2.5M, I am guessing that either of our two experts could replicate it for about tree-fiddy.
  • I'm up for black as well
    I'm up for black as well

Just got back from the vets office. Dark blues, light greens, our exam room was red. Lengthy discussion of anal glands ensued. Gonna be a tough couple of weeks.

Looking around the vets office though GTA, I'd have to say you'd have to make a choice based on flooring, furniture and the cabinets in the exam rooms. There's not really much else in there. Waiting rooms, same deal.

Go with pearl finish, more durable/washable, not overly shiny like semi gloss. Put chair rail half way up all walls; dogs, pet carriers, carts, etc. will scuff up walls and when it's repaint time you might only have to do up to the chair rail not that it's a huge deal. I suggested this the local dog grooming place and it worked pretty well, contractor had his own guys do the painting at the vet office when they moved and had the new place built. They did a terrible job and didn't do this.

Invoice for advice is in the mail. No warranty inferred.
  • One of our awesome female forumers, Sherry-Animaux,who is also a brilliant interior designer/stager recently showed me an awesome website for this sorta stuff... Houzz.

Check it out. It'll give you a feel for floor/colour/lighting combos.

Post results please!
  • I think I let Animaux know about our planned renovations, but she went away on vacation, winning poker moniez. "cheers:
    Kristy wrote: »
    One of our awesome female forumers, Sherry-Animaux,who is also a brilliant interior designer/stager recently showed me an awesome website for this sorta stuff... Houzz.

Check it out. It'll give you a feel for floor/colour/lighting combos.

Post results please!
  • Thanks for the various advice from the pros. I wanted to hire a pro painter for a poker-themed paint job, but my better half didn't want to pay for any more contractors after a week of renovations. I used the new ColorSnap Studio App for the iPad, and listened to conflicting advice from Sherwin-Williams and Benjamin Moore salesmen. My daughter and I voted for the orange family colour called "Invigorate," choosing Sherwin's best brand and satin finish.

Below is the "Before" picture with the plain white paint, so I think a less plain colour will keep me more awake while poker grinding.

blondefish-albums-wpt-montreal-picture247-beforerenovations.jpeg
    Card Dead wrote: »
    The whole concept of colour affecting mood is a bit of a misnomer. i.e. A red room is not more likely to make you tilt.

What does have merit, however, is lighting. If you want to stay more alert, maximize your sunlight into the room and change your lighting from soft white bulbs to cool white. Paint can help in this regard by keeping your colours light. Having the hardwood flooring will also help.

Also, make sure you have good air circulation.
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    Thanks for the various advice from the pros. I wanted to hire a pro painter for a poker-themed paint job, but my better half didn't want to pay for any more contractors after a week of renovations. I used the new ColorSnap Studio App for the iPad, and listened to conflicting advice from Sherwin-Williams and Benjamin Moore salesmen. My daughter and I voted for the orange family colour called "Invigorate," choosing Sherwin's best brand and satin finish.

Below is the "Before" picture with the plain white paint, so I think a less plain colour will keep me more awake while poker grinding.

Be careful taking advice at paint stores. Most people who work there have no training and very little experience in decorating, and they will always upsell you to their "best brand" whether it's needed or not. It's also difficult to give advice when you have not seen the space. Pics are not enough.

BTW, a good painting contractor would have been done in a day.

That said, as long as you are happy with the results, it's all good.
  • Has own bedroom...is married...I'm confused ?
  • JimmyHo wrote: »
    Has own bedroom...is married...I'm confused ?

That's because you haven't been married long enough.
    Has own bedroom...is married...I'm confused ?

too many pics of poker girls IMO
  • So, where are the after pics?
    Has own bedroom...
    Where do you think the RFGs sleep over? ;)
  • After "Invigorate" paint.

blondefish-albums-wpt-montreal-picture248-afterorange.jpeg
    BEFORE
    GTA Poker wrote: »
    So, where are the after pics?
  • #wideanglelens
  • Well, I'm glad you mentioned not having a problem with tilt, because that's a lot of stabby glass things mixed with a fire coloured wall mixed with a few beats...

I just don't want to see a hide yo wife, hide yo kids situation pop off that could be avoided with rounder trophies and calmer walls.