WPT Thrilla in Manila, October 16-28, 2014

World Poker Tour to hold first tournament in the Philippines in October
... coming to Manila are WPT executive tour director Matt Savage, poker legend Mike Sexton, and the Royal Flush Girls.
I believe pokerJAH's favourite, Filipina Ivy Teves, will be one of the RFG.

WPT National Philippines: 13 total events from U$120 - $25,500 High Roller; ~U$125 super satellites on Oct. 16-18; U$2000 + $200 Main Event starting on Oct. 25.

My plan is to go with DirtArse and a Canadian pro. Anybody else considering going?

Comments

• There may be high stakes Macau-type cash games during WPT Philippines. Daniel "jungleman" Cates will be degen-ing in the Philippine jungle.

10688089_386124234871487_5668345259805995419_o.jpg

Jeppe “JD” Drivsholm, who has spent the past 4 years in Macau playing the high stakes games: “The good thing about Macau is the presence of 24-hour action. You can walk into the Wynn anytime of the day and for sure, there’s a game going on, but Solaire has deeper buy-ins. I’ve seen guys here bought in for a total of 500 BBs which I really like. Also, there’s not much grinders here, which in my opinion, is good as I think the presence of too many grinders killed the action in Macau.”

There will be more media coverage than WPT Fallsview, including BJ Nemeth. DirtArse & I are tentatively going >= Oct. 16. I will teach him how to eat the duck embryo shown in Survivor - "balut." Look for us in the live streamed final table on October 28. :D
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    I believe pokerJAH's favourite, Filipina Ivy Teves, will be one of the RFG.

Nevermind Pokerjah, pics!
  • Ivy and Jeannie going
  • actyper wrote: »
    Ivy and Jeannie going
    Kewl. Balut-eating prop bet with JimmyHo FTW!
  • Hi Buddy,

Looked at the airfare, and it came in @ $290 Toronto to Hong Kong.

I'm gonna head out to Vegas on Oct 5th for a five day cash game sampler
    ahead of my holidays. I'll let you know how the experiment turns out, and then I'll make a call regarding Manila.

In the meantime, looks like I'm off for Sunday, so I might head down
    to Brantford for the $550. See you there.

DirtArse
  • 290 sounds super cheap -- what airline?
  • Are there any tax withholding in the Philippines?
  • None, afaik. The US is just about the only country that one should avoid buying into tournaments subject to the extra 30% tax/rake, especially Seneca ripping you off from even a min-cash.
    T8urmoney wrote: »
    Are there any tax withholding in the Philippines?
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    290 sounds super cheap -- what airline?

Air Canada... I work for the airline and can get steep discounts for my friends as long as I fly with them... Buddy has promised me a nice Philippinna for my troubles so I guess I have to go!!!:)
  • Hydrofoil ride to Macau, and visiting the two future gambling capitals in the world in one trip FTW.
    DirtArse wrote: »
    promised me a nice Philippinna for my troubles so I guess I have to go!!!:)
    Ivy, this is DirtArse.
  • DirtArse wrote: »
    Air Canada... I work for the airline and can get steep discounts for my friends as long as I fly with them... Buddy has promised me a nice Philippinna for my troubles so I guess I have to go!!!:)

Its Filipina. Can you get me one airfare at that price??
  • JimmyHo wrote: »
    Its Filipina. Can you get me one airfare at that price??

I can take up to 4 friends with me, so yeah I could get you that price
    if I knew who you were... Stay tuned to this topic, and maybe the opportunity will be there for CPF members to join us in the Phillipines if
    they have a flexible schedules, and can commit on short notice. The plane leaves on Oct 20th with a return to Toronto of the 29th.
    I can take up to 4 friends with me, so yeah I could get you that price if I knew who you were...
  • in b4 handy for discount fare
  • I think i am a shoo in for that seniors 50+ event any backers interested.LOL
  • Poker pro sees Philippines as an emerging Poker hot spot

Good luck to DirtArse, who is going on a worldwide poker tour. :D
    Looked at the airfare, and it came in @ $290 Toronto to Hong Kong.

I'm gonna head out to Vegas on Oct 5th for a five day cash game sampler
    ahead of my holidays. I'll let you know how the experiment turns out, and then I'll make a call regarding Manila.
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    Poker pro sees Philippines as an emerging Poker hot spot

Good luck to DirtArse, who is going on a worldwide poker tour. :D

Thanks Buddy!

It's all set and ready to go!

I'm flying out on Saturday night on the 8PM flight to Vegas landing around
    10PM Vegas time. I'll pick up my car and head straight to The Orleans for
    a 12 hour session! I did not even book a hotel for that night since I plan
    to play thru the night! Then it's off to the Riviera for some ZZZ's. The plan is to sleep in the daytime and grind from 6PM to 6AM til Wednesday!

Total cost of the trip is

Airfare = $0
    Hotel & car = $280 - $65 picked up by AC, so total $215 for the 4 days.

The plan is to have a min gross profit of $1215 for the trip, and then I'll
    consider it a success. That would net me a cool $1000, but to be honest
    I won't be totally happy unless I double that! If I succeed, then Manila here we come!
  • Oh and I forgot... Saturday and Wednesday are both considered workdays for me
    so I'm also getting paid my salary to play!! Sweet!
  • 1215 over 4 days at 1/2 or 1/3 is very doable. Heck, even in 1 12 hour shift if you get a decent table.

But what about food?

You got yourself a great deal on a flight, car and hotel!

tapatalk puts this here to annoy YOU
  • pkrfce9 wrote: »
    1215 over 4 days at 1/2 or 1/3 is very doable. Heck, even in 1 12 hour shift if you get a decent table.

But what about food?

You got yourself a great deal on a flight, car and hotel!

I should be earning some comps... I think it will average out to about
    $1.25 an hour so that would be about $60. Tthat should buy me a couple
    of cheap eats... no fancy restaurants for me on this trip!
  • Ya that works.

What games do you plan on playing? Guys here can offer advice on which rooms might be best.

Good luck!

• pkrfce9 wrote: »
    Ya that works.

What games do you plan on playing? Guys here can offer advice on which rooms might be best.

Good luck!

Probably spend all four days at The Orleans playing 1/3 and 2/5 depending
    on which games look good. It has the lowest (Max $3) rake in Vegas, so
    I'm pulling a Buddy on this and going for max +EV!
  • Here are some tips for you to consider depending on how much time you have left:

- Read the recent trip report of moose, including freerolls (probably not worth the hours spent away from cash games) and food deals.

- The biggest conventions that week are: 10,000 at Mandalay Bay (starts Oct. 7); 30,000 at Las Vegas Convention Cente (Oct. 8). Many of the 17,000 attendees at Sands Expo & Convention Center that ended yesterday may still be around this weekend.

- Last, play MyVegas on Facebook and mobile devices for Las Vegas deals on food, etc.
    I should be earning some comps... I think it will average out to about
    $1.25 an hour so that would be about $60. Tthat should buy me a couple
    of cheap eats... no fancy restaurants for me on this trip!
    Probably spend all four days at The Orleans playing 1/3 and 2/5 depending
    on which games look good. It has the lowest (Max $3) rake in Vegas, so
    I'm pulling a Buddy on this and going for max +EV!

don't forget table selection, tho

we found no shortage of open tables at venetian and bellagio. others were kind of hit and miss. we only played on the strip, tho
  • I hate using the tablet to type with, but here is a small update.

1st session I played 10 hours at the Orleans and dropped $501. Card dead most
    Of the night. Key hand A/I PF with JJ 3 way... I. Lose with JJJ88 to quads!

2nd session down $350.... Binnions... Key hand.... Lose a big pot with
    A straight against a bigger straight. So down $850 after 13 he's..... Sheesh!

Then I headed over to the Nugget.... Sit down with $300... Five hours later I'm looking down
    At a $1550 stack! That's what I'm talking about! Key hand, I mike a really tough shove with
    top two for an $1100 pot.

So about $300 up so far... Behind target for now... Hopefully run good again tonight.
  • Now at the airport waiting for my flight home. Day 3 & 4 both went well, although
    day 3 could have been much better had I not made two really boneheaded moves that
    cost me $420.

Day 3 = +$385 nine hours @ The Nugget
    Day 4 = +$311 nine hours @ The Nugget

So total just about $1K in 37 hrs. I'll try to do a trip report with pics when
    I'm home and have access to real computer.
  • DirtArse, any good news?

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk
  • Orleans is probably the worst cash game choice in Vegas... Game selection is too important to waste time there
  • Aside from introducing you to Royal Flush Girls Ivey and Jeannie, Lacey Jones and other ladies invading WPT Philippines, I'll introduce you to:

10710585_639882136111037_1391236044695096202_n.jpg?oh=720e63f21be4c44c45f60ef1c53ceba2&oe=54B7FD63
    ... has promised me a nice Filipina for my troubles so I guess I have to go!!!)
  • The thrill of poker reigns at WPT Philippines Bloggers Night
    DirtArse and I will hopefully soon be going fishing in the Philippines, in the poker room :fish: and hopefully in the world's #1-rated island, Boracay.

sailboat.jpg