What you would have done on this hand ?

Hello everyone,

This is my very first post on this forum. Hope I'll have some feedback from other players. Always looking to be better. By the way, sorry for my english.

Here is the hand I played : $0.50/$1 USD NL Texas Hold'em Full ring

- I'm on BB with KcJh
- MP limps 1$, MP2 raise 2$, MP3 calls 2$, CO calls 2$, SB calls 1.5$
and I check.

First question : what do you guys think of that check ?

Flop : Jc 4s 8d
pot = 12$

SB check, I checks, MP checks, MP2 bets 5.70$, MP3 calls 5.70$, CO folds, SB folds, I call

Turn : 4c
pot = 29.10$

Everybody check

River : 8c

I check, MP2 checks, MP3 bets 20.73 $, I fold, MP2 fold.

What is the best line I should have done in order to maximized my chance to win this hand ?

Thank you for your answers everyone :)

Comments

• Good game where you can see the flop for half a bet....+++EV
  • need stack sizes to comment on your actions.
  • @ pokerJAH

Everybody has 75% or more of a full stack.

I could have 3bet Pre-Flop and then play HU or 3way on the flop. Then Cbet value on the flop. I don't know ...
  • Samuel wrote: »
    @ pokerJAH

Everybody has 75% or more of a full stack.

I could have 3bet Pre-Flop and then play HU or 3way on the flop. Then Cbet value on the flop. I don't know ...

I assume you are stating that everyone had $75 in front of them?

I don't think three betting with KJo is profitable, especially out of position. On the flop, if you like your king against these players, then maybe it is better to three bet on the flop versus just calling and expecting another bet on the turn. If you get 4bet on the flop, then you are likely behind and you can fold. Versus calling on the flop and expecting to call another bet on the turn.

It is always better to be betting/raising in most situations than just calling.

If you want to maximize your chances to win the hand, why not come out betting on the flop?

If you raise, you can win in any of the following situations:

- you raise, best hand folds
    - you raise, worse hand folds
    - you raise, worse hand calls

If you just call, the only way you can win is if:

- worse hand raises, and you call.

So you have a lot more ways to win the hand if you are raising versus just calling.

Everything is always game dependant and player dependant.
  • I think you way overvalue KJo, as Jah says, especially when you are OOP against a raise, it's pretty much trash. You can call a buck to flop a straight or two pair. Even trips you can likely be badly behind and get stacked.
  • @ pokerJAH
    Thank you for your very detailed answer.

I think betting the flop is a good idea.
    Or if I check when the action is coming back to me, I should raise. And if I encounter aggression, I should consider folding.
  • @ moose

Indeed, I did not 3bet pre-flop cause beeing OOP with KJo is not a good spot.
    But when I just call 1 BB to see the flop in a 6 way hand and flop top pair on a board not so coordinate, what should be my line now you think?

Do you think I took a good decision in check-calling and keeping things quiet?
  • As jah says, either donk bet out on the dry board or in this instance a c/r would have worked. Problem with those min preflop raises is there is no guarantee of a c-bet. So I probably would have bet out first.

.5/1 seems like too high a level for you. I assume this was on Stars and .5/1 is loaded with regs doing 1000s of hands a day. Not a lot of soft spots.
  • depending on the players in the hand, if they are complete donkeys, i am barrelling

depending on the players, i fold if my plan was to hit at least two pair.

depending on the players i think you have 3 options preflop: call, fold, raise, in that order

a similar spot i played when i started playing poker was, raise, call, call, call, call, i call in the BB with QTs. flop is QT3 all clubs. again, what to do here when you face pressure? fold. i stacked off like a donkey and the guy flopped a flush.

anyways, i sometimes fold preflop because, well sure you're getting 10:1, but you need 20:1 to smash the flop, and when you smash the flop AND get paid, is in spots when the flop comes KJ2 and the guy has QT and they have a ton of equity against your hand, and you're gonna lose 1/2 times. but normally if you smash the flop, either you're not getting paid, you're out-tripped, or they have bottom set *puke*.

i think here you should be betting. a pot bet. the guy who won probably had an 8. but maybe they fold to your flop bet. MP2 probably had a straight draw.

what could have happened was you bet, they both call, you bet turn, the guy with the straight draw may call again, the guy with the 8 folds. bet river, he folds. you pick up a nice pot.