Comments

• im not a business guy, or all that intelligent, but any time a super successful/profitable business completely sells out, its cause for concern, isnt it?

or is this like, standard for corporations? share holders get a massive ROI and lives lavish and lets someone else live with the headache?
  • OHTNCTRHM wrote: »
    im not a business guy, or all that intelligent, but any time a super successful/profitable business completely sells out, its cause for concern, isnt it?

or is this like, standard for corporations? share holders get a massive ROI and lives lavish and lets someone else live with the headache?

Ownership (Board of Directors, etc) had to change otherwise they would not be allowed to re-enter the US market. Speculation is that it will be like the Disney acquisition of Marvel where they're just owner in name and everything else stays the same
  • The huge ramification for Canadians is that since Amaya is a Canadian public company that does business with the government lottery corporations who have their own poker site, it may be forced to stop offering PokerStars/FTP to Canadians! :o My friend - who is going to retire to become an online pro - and others may have to move out of Canada if they want to continue being Supernovas or pros.
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    The huge ramification for Canadians is that since Amaya is a Canadian public company that does business with the government lottery corporations who have their own poker site, it may be forced to stop offering PokerStars/FTP to Canadians! :o My friend - who is going to retire to become an online pro - and others may have to move out of Canada if they want to continue being Supernovas or pros.

This is a potential (and scary) possibility as well. Or it'll turn into one of many Euro only sites potentially.
  • got to follow this shit
  • As notified by jontm, here is
    THE MORNING AFTER AMAYA’S ACQUISITION OF POKERSTARS AND FULL TILT POKER
    Amaya is a Canadian-based company and Canadian police haven’t been shy about taking down any and all Canadian-based non-governmental online gambling operations. Bottom line, Amaya will have little choice but to eventually pull its new brands from the Canadian market or Baazov will be engineering his next blockbuster deal from a Quebec prison.

The needs of the many Americans outweigh the needs of the few Canadians, so Amaya will sacrifice Canada. So after withdrawing my entire Skrill balance into PokerStars, at some point, I'll have to withdraw my entire PokerStars balance just like Black Friday.
  • philliivey wrote: »
    I knew something was up by the way pokerstars employees have been acting or not posting at all for weeks and some of the recent actions lately.

This is something to keep a eye on for sure, I hope it turns out to be good for the state of the games.

The front line employees most likely knew NOTHING.
  • Wow this could suck a lot
  • There's a good book about this

tapatalk puts this here to annoy YOU
  • Sucks, almost bought this stock a while back for $5....now at $20.
    As notified by jontm, here is

The needs of the many Americans outweigh the needs of the few Canadians, so Amaya will sacrifice Canada. So after withdrawing my entire Skrill balance into PokerStars, at some point, I'll have to withdraw my entire PokerStars balance just like Black Friday.

LOL, The police are not going to do anything. That had to be a american who wrote that.
  • philliivey wrote: »
    LOL, The police are not going to do anything. That had to be a american who wrote that.

If it was Calvin Ayre who wrote, he's actually a Canadian who turned a few dollars in his pocket in Vegas into a gambling industry fortune. Of course he's now on the DOJ most wanted list and living in Antigua, but he has proven time and time again to be spot on when it comes to these type of things. Owns a little company called Bodog
  • Canadian Calvin Ayre predicted the purchase of PokerStars by Amaya. I would give him & his writers more credibility than phil ivey.

Police have raided several gaming companies in Canada before. I remember a not-so-smart friend whining to me about the police raiding the headquarters of an online gaming company that he bought shares of (Canadian-listed company like Amaya), and he is now deeply in debt.
    philliivey wrote: »
  • An Overview of Online Gaming in Canada
    Part VII of the Criminal Code of Canada (the “Code”) makes it an offence to operate a commercial gaming enterprise. Although these sections were enacted to deal with traditional gambling in Canada, they have also been applied to most forms of Internet gaming. Except for gaming conducted over the Internet by a provincial government, online gaming continues to be illegal in Canada.
    While neither the RCMP nor FBI could arrest the Scheinbergs in the Isle of Man, the Amaya executives are in Quebec.
    The Mohawks of Kahnawake
    :
    In Canada, courts have explicitly rejected First Nations’ claims to an inherent right to conduct gaming activities. Section 35(1) of Canada’s Constitution Act, 1982 recognizes and affirms aboriginal rights. However, only certain activities fall within the ambit of being an “aboriginal right.” In 1996, the Supreme Court of Canada in R. v. Pamajewon (1996), 138 D.L.R. (4th) 204, held that gaming, or the regulation of gaming, was not an integral part of the cultures of two Ontario First Nations at the time of European contact.
    If Amaya can't stand the heat, one option may be to move to Kahnawake, where both the federal and Quebec goverments are too scared to enforce the law.
    The huge ramification for Canadians is that since Amaya is a Canadian public company that does business with the government lottery corporations who have their own poker site, it may be forced to stop offering PokerStars/FTP to Canadians! :o My friend - who is going to retire to become an online pro - and others may have to move out of Canada if they want to continue being Supernovas or pros.
    westside8 wrote: »
    This is a potential (and scary) possibility as well. Or it'll turn into one of many Euro only sites potentially.
    BlondeFish wrote: »
    As notified by jontm, here is

Not "exactly" what he was speculating on, but the effect is the same, so lets just start calling him Wettstradamus.
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    Over/Under till PS pulls out of Canada?

They won't, they'll reach a deal to segregate Canadians from the rest of the world, like they have with other countries. Smaller player pool, smaller prizes.
  • That doesn't make sense. It is either legal or illegal for Canadians to gamble online. What does keeping us from the rest of the world have to do with it?
  • moose wrote: »
    That doesn't make sense. It is either legal or illegal for Canadians to gamble online. What does keeping us from the rest of the world have to do with it?

Its what happened in France, Spain, etc.. Rather than shut out PokerStars and Full Tilt, etc, they regulated it, made it legal and taxed it. I suspect Canada will do the same.
  • Agreed. Amaya will try to have an agreement with the government gambling corporations such as Loto Quebec, so that it will be business as usual for PokerStars/FTP for now - until online gambling regulation becomes a higher political priority.
    moose wrote: »
    That doesn't make sense. It is either legal or illegal for Canadians to gamble online. What does keeping us from the rest of the world have to do with it?
  • So received a nice little tip from ca.pokernews reporter Lane. Anyone else notice that right about when T8 questioned in VIP thread why sats stopped abruptly, all Stars branding has disappeared off upcoming Playground Festival web ads?

Montreal Poker | Playground Poker Club :: PokerStars Montreal Festival 2014
    Canadian Calvin Ayre predicted the purchase of PokerStars by Amaya. I would give him & his writers more credibility than phil ivey.

Police have raided several gaming companies in Canada before. I remember a not-so-smart friend whining to me about the police raiding the headquarters of an online gaming company that he bought shares of (Canadian-listed company like Amaya), and he is now deeply in debt.

Hey Philli:

http://www.pokerforum.ca/f8/pokerstars-vip-rep-thread-26032/index14.html#post378818

Also, reading about your boy bailing out triadish betting ring billionaires?
  • Nope. I mean you. You were one saying Ayre doesn't know squat. You don't think this is all tied together?