Being TD and playing, can it be done?

I'm starting to host fundraisers for events as I now do rentals for poker tables. One of the services I offer is running the tournaments. I've done 2 gigs so far, for the first one I only provided tables and they ran their own game so I was able to play (and got a free buy in).

For the second one which was last week, I ran the event acting as TD. We weren't sure how many players would be there so I opted not to play as we were hoping to have in excess of 80 players. It turned out that we only got 47 but even with the smaller numbers, I was running around a fair bit trying to maintain order.

In my league games that we play once a month, I run it and play with usually 20-30 players no problem. However, there's normally no rebuys or add ons and we aren't selling anything like raffle tickets or food/drinks. With the fundraisers, though I don't handle tickets and food/drinks, I do handle rebuys, add ons and chip ups.

I would love to play in the events I host, but is it possible to do both and still run the games efficiently? I realize that by playing, if any TD stuff comes up then it is a priority and will likely cause my chip stack to suffer which is fine. I would just rather play some hands rather than stand around for 5 hours watching everyone else have fun. Works comes first, but can I have my cake and eat it too?

Comments

• Fields this size, I think your fine as long as you don't mind missing an orbit here and there. When I did the same for Big Slick, pretty much how it went and what mare it fun. If your using seating cards or tournament director, breaking tables should be pretty easy so bar any runs of angle shooting or side pots gone sideways, what's there to do really? ;p
  • I don't want my td playing if he's getting paid to td
  • who makes the ruling if you're involved in the issue?

in a friendly game with people you know, i'm sure it's fine. with strangers i'd be worried.
  • Tony, I would stick to business. If you are taking the role of TD then stick with it and don't play. Nice new venture!
  • If I were involved in a TD ruling where I was involved in the hand, I would rule in favor of the other person almost every time even if I was in the right. I would explain the situation but let them have the pot. Just another one of the drawbacks of being TD and playing.

I already decided that I would run tournaments as TD and not play, but I thought that if I could play as well without sacrificing my duties as TD, then why not. Sounds like most so far think it's not a good idea though, so I'll probably stick to just being the TD.
  • Imagine you're the worlds greatest magician.

You're dealing.

You get a royal flush runner runner in a pot with a life changing amount of $$

You can't win.

You muck.
  • I never said I couldn't win. I doubt I would ever win though since I'd have to sacrifice hands to attend to my duties, but if there was a controversial situation that involved my own hand, I would rule in favor of the other person. I see your point though, it would be sketch if the TD won a game or even cashed.
  • I never said I couldn't win. I doubt I would ever win though since I'd have to sacrifice hands to attend to my duties, but if there was a controversial situation that involved my own hand, I would rule in favor of the other person. I see your point though, it would be sketch if the TD won a game or even cashed.

Think about this for a second.

This is why you can't TD and play.

You TD to keep integrity in the game and make correct decisions, this is the most counter productive thing you could do.
  • OHTNCTRHM wrote: »
    You TD to keep integrity in the game and make correct decisions, this is the most counter productive thing you could do.

I'd have to agree here. I don't think it would be in the best interests of the game to rule in favour of the other person if that isn't the correct ruling. Detracts from the integrity of the game for sure by arbitrarily applying the rules.
  • And there's the deal breaker. Thanks for pointing that out, makes total sense. I guess I have to just work... while I'm working.

I guess it gives me a chance to socialize with people and try to network.