Suited Ace - Starting Requiements

One hand I always seem to have touble deciding on is a suited ace. What are your standard calling requirements for playing a suited ace (A2 - A9)? I usually don't raise these hands but when faced with a raise, I sometimes don't know if a call is an optimal decision.

I usually play 2/5 (100 - 200bb deep) where the standard raise can be $30 - $45. If I am 200 bb deep, and the other player has me covered, I will usually call, especially if there are other callers in front of me. If it is heads up and if out of position against a player that is say 100bb deep, is this typically a bad call? A friend mentioned a standard 20x rule where you can call the initial raise if the other has 20 x the initial bet and you have them covered.

It is very rare that you will flop a flush and if you do flop a flush draw, it is usually quite obvious and normally won't get paid off unless someone else is also on the same flush draw.

Comments

• I won't give you any more advice because invariably you use it incorrectly but bust me any way.

OK. OK. Up to 5% of effective stack might be OK. It depends.

tapatalk puts this here to annoy YOU
  • calling gives you a bit of implied odds etc, but a 3 bet or fold is better IMO. You're right in that you are not going to hit a flush often, so get heads up and gain the initiative or just dump it preflop.
  • I don't think three betting is profitable, especially out of position. Definitely folding is not optimal.
  • Suited wheel hands have way more value than A6-9.
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    Suited wheel hands have way more value than A6-9.

Yes, but this is not a comparison qustion of which suited cards are better to play. It is specifically addressing A2 -A9 and pre-flop requirements.
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    depends

More.
  • As Wetts1012 hinted to you, folding A6s-A8s to a raise is the best play in a lot of situations. Just to give one example, if there was a raise and even though I'm only in the hijack, I would prefer having A2s-A5s (& sometimes 3-bet with them) and would fold A6s-A8s.
    pokerJAH wrote: »
    I don't think three betting is profitable, especially out of position. Definitely folding is not optimal.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    Yes, but this is not a comparison qustion of which suited cards are better to play. It is specifically addressing A2 -A9 and pre-flop requirements.

Sorry, thought I was clear. A6-9 I fold in most situations, a2-5 I dont.
  • I would rarely fold a suited ace deep and in position in a cash game...then again, I rarely fold anything deep and in position in a cash game
  • If I might quote beanie here "Ace 9, the dumbass hand" Should clear it right up, you play this hand in SB and BB, UTG short handed maybe at best only to rob, outside that 6,7,8 are good folds too.