Royal Cup suggestions thread

I know we have asked for suggestions before and I'm not looking to re-open the old discussions re should be get rid of limit, etc as this is a unique event and to change it significantly now would effectively render previous events somewhat meaningless in comparison...
This is more looking for ideas to tweak the event.

I do know we need to do something re the picking of the heads up matches, that was far too long a delay this time..

Also what did everyone think of the food this time? I didn't think it was quite as good. Man that beef stew last fall was excellent... :)

AFAIK the location/venue is great and I know they like having us, Barbara told me after this event that we are one of the best behaved bunch that they host... Makes me feel proud to be part of. Good job everyone...
Perhaps we should invite Josh back?

Other ideas?

Comments

• I thought the venue was great for this. Food was good and servers were very friendly.

I agree that the picking of the heads up matches was too long. Have g2 computer generate them beforehand, like all the rest of the games.

Other then that, great Royal Cup.
  • I don't hate the idea of randomly assigned HU matches..

But there is a strategy component... maybe the captains pull their heads out of their rum and cokes, and start collaborating as soon as then bust from Limit hold em? (And again, that for not letting that be debated by the whiny contingent).

Mark
  • As a Captain this time around, I would give a +1 to the idea of randomly generating the HU matches. the caveat being that it be set up similarly to the formay it is now (ie equal number of opponents from each team).

I "get" the strategy aspect of matching players to maximize a team's chances, but I would be curious to see how it would work out if done by computer. Perhaps a unilateral decision for October to do it this way (ONCE) and examine the results afterward?

There have been plenty of lead changes in the recent HU portions. If that trend continues when the match-ups are computer generated, then I think we have our answer.

Venue is fine. I agree that the fall menu was superior. I can also sympathize with the site in that this is probably very early in their operating season (was the course even open?), so options might be limited. But the wife and I deliberately waited to buy dinner until we were heading home. I am fine with a certain amount of fried foods, but one "healthy" choice on the menu would be nice. Hell, put out a bowl of fruit next to the tarts.
  • I'm against randomly selecting HU.

We screwed up this year. g2 put the matches on two pages, we should have been filling out both pages simultaneously. I didn't remember that until the 1st page was almost full. If we stick to that next time, it will go much faster. Each captain will need an individual team list though.
  • moose wrote: »
    I'm against randomly selecting HU.

We screwed up this year. g2 put the matches on two pages, we should have been filling out both pages simultaneously. I didn't remember that until the 1st page was almost full. If we stick to that next time, it will go much faster. Each captain will need an individual team list though.

Three pages. I assumed you guys knew what you'd be doing and fill them out simultaneously. My bad ;)

I do apologize for not having individual team rosters printed for each captain. I had thought of that at one point when I was putting the spreadsheet together for RC XV, but then 1am rolled around and I still wasn't finished and my brain had turned to mush at that point. I'm just glad I didn't break anything.

Any captain could have printed anything from the spreadsheets the morning of the event though. How much babysitting do I need to do? :P

Next event I will email the captains the link when it is posted.
  • g2 wrote: »
    Any captain could have printed anything from the spreadsheets the morning of the event though. How much babysitting do I need to do? :P
    A lot.. Obviously...

Problem is, a lot of the captains have turned to mush by the time we do the picking so maybe computer generating the matches might not be that bad..>:D
  • I like that the captains pick the matches. It allows players to request matches.

Brent (and others) have suggested that the NL round starts at the same time as the Captains pick matches. Then they would just use their own blind timer. Or perhaps start exactly 1 round behind.
  • We went to the picking beforehand after we nearly lost AJ prematurely after he nearly blew a gasket on a misdeal when he had AA. Trying to play and pick created more issues than the time saved. People can eat, drink and play cash while they wait.
  • Just throwing this out there, but I don't get why there should be a cap on the blinds. I'm sure this contributed to the wait on the last stud game.
  • I thought the cap in stud was odd too.
  • Being relatively new by comparison to all of the veteran captains, I personally do not see the elimination of the limit round as having any effect on past events' legitimacy or worth.

I am merely expressing my teams' collective desire when I say that there should be four rounds, one PLO., one stud one nlhe and hu.

As for the hu selections, I agree with Anthony: let's try a random selection once this fall (if Greg is not opposed to setting it up) and revisit options for the following spring event. If the opposition to that is so strong, then I think having the captain's table running on its own timer would be the next best option.

Neither I nor any of my members have any significant issue with the venue itself, I agree with other comments regarding the quality of the food and limited selection. How much would they charge us to pay for the space, rather than via their menu and bar? That way, the cost could be spread out across all entrants to the tune of what, an extra 10.00, 5.00? Perhaps then we as a group might have some latitude in terms of being able to bring our own food and soft drinks (no one wants to jeopardize the the course's liquor license by bringing in outside booze, I'm sure).
  • TammiM68 wrote: »
    Neither I nor any of my members have any significant issue with the venue itself, I agree with other comments regarding the quality of the food and limited selection. How much would they charge us to pay for the space, rather than via their menu and bar? That way, the cost could be spread out across all entrants to the tune of what, an extra 10.00, 5.00? Perhaps then we as a group might have some latitude in terms of being able to bring our own food and soft drinks (no one wants to jeopardize the the course's liquor license by bringing in outside booze, I'm sure).

First of all to rent a venue of that size and quality could not be possibly found for less than 12-1500 for the day at best... Believe me I looked when we lost the last place in downtown Kitchener and it was a dump in comparison. Then we run the risk of charging rake to pay the venue... I'm not doing it myself.

I have already started the process of improving the menu.

However if you can find a place yourself I'm more than willing to consider it. I just don't have the time or resources any more.

We are definitely going to consider changes to the picking of HU though.
  • Presenting, the Royal Cup . . .
  • All past winning teams are present on the Cup, and future winners will be added. As an added bonus, the Cup hold almost two litres of liquid celebration.
  • Nice job on the engraving.
  • Wanted it to be classy . . .