basic PLO preflop raising question

i tried googling it but i couldn't find anything. in PLO cash games i'm usually raising the size of the pot preflop. i'm curious if that should be the same case in PLO MTTs, or should i be sticking to the 2xBB like in NLHE MTTs. what's the argument behind your preflop raise size? does it change between early and late in the tournament? when antes kick in?

Comments

• anyone?

like i mentioned, i tried googling it but i really couldn't find anything specific to pot limit omaha MTTs, only cash games.

i understand that when you have a preflop raising hand in omaha cash, you should be raising the size of the pot most of the time. i'm under the impression that this is the case because it gets other weaker hands to fold and also builds the pot which is very important in pot limit games (since you can only bet the pot at most at any time).

however, my issue with MTTs is that betting the pot preflop can get pretty crazy as soon as the blinds start to increase. however, at the same time i feel that a 2xBB raise in pot limit omaha would just price too many opponents into the hand with any kind of drawing hand.

i'm of two minds on this concept.

T8? where are you? moose? is this thing on?
  • What am I chopped liver?
  • Okay . . . what this thread needs is a sleep deprived donk to chime in . . . so here goes.

Standard raises in NLHE used to be 3BB for the first in the pot. That seems to have decreased to 2.5BB as the new standard, and even lower as the tournament progresses.

A pot sized raise in PLO is 3.5BB for the first player in, so not too much beyond the old "standard". Seems like a 2.5BB - 3BB raise might be the new "standard", so long as the rest of the table is aware of these changes, no?
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    What am I chopped liver?

Well step in here big boy!
  • Hutchinson Point system is a good start for value of hands.

As for raising, I don't know why min-raising is all the rage with these kids nowadays. In PLO, you're rarely a huge favorite PF, so if you are ahead, I'd suggest maximizing their mistakes and pot betting. Especially at the limits we're (in general) at here, none of us are so good as to make whatever pro's do work as well.

Mark
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    What am I chopped liver?

honestly, i'd love to hear your input on every question i pose on this forum (and that means not just poker related). however, i'd never outright ask for it. GTA gotz no time for us micros.
  • Milo wrote: »
    A pot sized raise in PLO is 3.5BB for the first player in, so not too much beyond the old "standard". Seems like a 2.5BB - 3BB raise might be the new "standard", so long as the rest of the table is aware of these changes, no?

lol, well i can always just ask in chat before we start playing :D
  • I can speak for PLO tourney......I pretty much will always open 2.5x with all hands (so there are no sizing tells). Make pots big enough where people won't play without nut hands or draws...and, as long as you can fold to tight aggression...pretty ez.

Also make sure if you're a 3-betting AAxx kind of guy....you have to 3-bet other hands regularly as well so you don't get stuck on a range. Biggest mistake I see from other players is playing AAxx face up....I'll play any 4 against that (assuming we're deep enough).

PLO MTT's have been alot tougher since we lost the bad American players (and only kept the good ones willing to relocate). But can still be very profitable.
  • trigs wrote: »
    lol, well i can always just ask in chat before we start playing :D

Hey you asked for answers . . . next time specify that you want GOOD ones. I plead sleep deprivation, and agree with Mark's idea of "pot" sized bets allowing you to exploit their mistakes.
  • DrTyore wrote: »

just for fun (and to practice) i'm thinking about attempting to write a program that evaluates your starting hand based on hutchinson's point system. am i crazy? probably.
  • If there are multiple players already in the pot, then I will pot to thin the crowd, but I'm with T8urmoney, tournies and cash games I'm opening 2-3x and rarely potting.

Stackwise I prefer to control the pot size such that on the flop I can cbet without pot committing myself, yet be able to 3 bet jam if my opponent repots.
  • moose wrote: »
    Stackwise I prefer to control the pot size such that on the flop I can cbet without pot committing myself, yet be able to 3 bet jam if my opponent repots.

i like that moose. thanks.