Ice Storm '13

Anybody "lose" anything yet? A tree in my backyard is coming down one piece at a time. So far nothing seems to have damaged the house, though a large piece seems to have caromed off the roof on it's way to the patio furniture. Might need to by some new furniture, but hopefully the roof is unscathed. Looks okay from what little I could see. Whatever might be left in the morning is going to have to come down at some point. More about safety than the health of the tree now.

Comments

• Nothing lost, just spread out my 2nd bag of ice melter/faux salt. My driveway has a bit of an incline so it got interesting parking in the garage...
  • Just really starting here. About 2-3mm ice so far.

Supposed to leave for the Soo tomorrow morning. Not looking good.
  • Glad I'm safe at home, went to Orillia this morning but came back mid afternoon to beat the worst of it... Definitely bending the trees here, wondering about hydro lines for sure..
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    Supposed to leave for the Soo tomorrow morning. Not looking good.

Tell your daughter she has to make her own way home.. ;)

Just don't tell your wife I said that!
  • Branch from the tree in front has come down . . . neighbour wants to "cut it down". Told him he was crazy.
  • Just some light, wet now here. I think the freezing rain is missing us, but when this all freezes tomorrow when we're supposed to go to the inlaws for xmas dinner... It's not going to be pretty.

Heard from a relative in Kingston that his street is encased in ice. Including the crane from the fire the other day that they were supposed to disassemble today. Not sure whether that went well or not. That's gotta be a lot of extra weight.
  • Neighbour is now outside with a ladder, yanking on branches to bring some down . . . I'll let you know when the ambulance gets called.
  • Milo wrote: »
    Neighbour is now outside with a ladder, yanking on branches to bring some down . . . I'll let you know when the ambulance gets called.

Darwin's theory at work. That's just stupid.
  • It's pretty much a hockey rink where I live... Roads are terrible and haven't been plowed or salted all day. No trees are down yet but I'm sure they will be come morning.
  • Well, after about 3 hours of frequently interrupted sleep, we have lost portions of two trees, one of which took out a portion of our eavestrough. Both trees will have to come down when safe to do so. Eavestrough on the upper portion of our backsplit will have to be replaced. Doesn't look like it damage the soffits or facia, but daylight may bring new surprises. Lot of "gunshot" style cracking and banging last night. I am sure there are people more affected than us, but sometimes Mother Nature can be a BITCH.
  • PEI is on Storm #4 for this year. Expecting 15-20 cm of shit to add to the 50-60cm we've already had. Luckily no Ice Storm yet.

Stay safe Ontario!
  • 4y6u7eja.jpg

We live downtown with 100 year old trees everywhere. This Hyundai missed a paint job by 1 foot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Looks like it would have been more than a paint job . . .

Okay, looks like the damage is in . . . two trees written off, and a new eavestrough will be required. Soffits, facia and shingles look to be salvageable, but I am no roofing expert. We spent an eventful morning cutting down branches. I am a big guy (6'4" . . . maybe 275lbs.) You can imagine my delight at being 20' up an extension ladder sawing through frozen branches . . . I have done my feats of daring for the winter now . . .

Neighbours crab apple tree is a goner, a six inch thick main branch snapped while we were clearing our driveway, crushing part of the hedge on the property line. One big risk remaining is a similar sized branch that tilts toward his house. If it goes, so will his front window.
  • Yeah, I'm a bit of a squirrel on extension ladders but even I wouldn't like being up there today. Too many variables. What it's standing on, braced against, etc.

Plus the damn thing's cold to hang on to.
  • Our power has been out since 7:45. No tree damage that I can see in the neighborhood.
  • Nice side note to the crab apple coming down . . . it has shattered the ice on a lot of the berries, so now a crapload of birds are flitting about the house, to say nothing of squirrels.
  • Yeah, I founf it strange that your neck of the woods seemed to get off lighter than mine. Little bit of role reversal . . .
  • pretty bad here in hamilton. already had a few huge branches off the front tree fall down.
  • 5e8u9a7e.jpg
    Can't get enough

• Hope this is all cleaned up by the time I land! I'd hate to be told "you have been delayed by an ice storm". When I came here 18 months ago, I was delayed in Toronto 8 hours because of a typhoon in Korea. Sitting alone in the airport is pretty bad.
  • 5e8u9a7e.jpg
    Can't get enough

QFMFT . . . Cleared my driveway yesterday afternoon in anticipation of guests. Used one of two 20kg bags I had bought in the morning. My driveway looks like it has not been touched at all. Goo thing about the little bits of broken branches all over the place is that they make for great traction.
  • I'm too lazy to carry around the 20 kg bags. I pay extra for ease of 10kg bags

• DSCN0782_zps9f5314e0.jpg only 7 more months than this

• guess I may get stuck in Bermuda for xmas..could be worse.
  • I just spent over 1.5hrs beating ice off our vehicles and chipping away at the skating rink formerly known as my sidewalk and laneway. Of course we can't use salt because the dogs will whine and complain about their feet being burned.

Tried the pet safe stuff. First of all it doesn't seem to work very well, second of all because most people I talk to say it isn't really petsafe anyways.
  • Couple of trees down near my house in waterloo
  • my front yard...
  • Is the actual drive on the highways such as QEW OK? I was persuaded not to drive out last night, but I'm getting the itch to drive out soon. Google Maps claims that the traffic and drive along the QEW is not any slower today.
    I just spent over 1.5hrs beating ice off our vehicles and chipping away at the skating rink formerly known as my sidewalk and laneway.
  • 4 hours no power in Cambridge. Called the wife at work and her hospital in Hamilton is code grey - emergency power only. Must have been a fun drive in and they may tell her she can't leave. Lost one big branch off a maple in the backyard and one of my 50' birch trees is bent over almost double.
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    Is the actual drive on the highways such as QEW OK? I was persuaded not to drive out last night, but I'm getting the itch to drive out soon. Google Maps claims that the traffic and drive along the QEW is not any slower today.

Personally, for today I am vowing to just stay off any highway. On top of that most parking lots will be skating rinks as well. By tomorrow they'll have had time salt the hell out of everything until it's saturated.

Otherwise, you can check out this website which you might already know about for conditions and closures. I use it all the time to find out if the highway here is closed.

Traveller's Road Information Portal - Interactive Map