trigs' holiday motivation thread

my last day of work today and then i'm off until january 6th. december 23rd, 24th, and 25th are booked with xmas crap, but i have nothing else to do over the holidays except poker (unless the gf manages to find something to occupy my time with - let's hope not).

i'm apprehensive about being too specific in my holiday goals. i don't want to attempt to play a certain amount of MTTs because i don't want to feel like i'm forcing myself to play them, and i also don't want to limit myself to which games to play (depending on my mood i'll probably be going between MTTS, SNGs and maybe some omaha cash). i don't want to set a money goal as i'm only looking at a block of two weeks and i think that is just too short to realistically achieve an adequate money goal.

therefore, instead of a personal challenge thread, i'm doing this as a motivation thread to hopefully get my lazy ass out of bed and playing some cards while i have the time.

i'll try to start tomorrow (as long as i'm not too hung over from my work xmas party tonight). i'll post updates over the holidays in here to keep me motivated. feel free to come watch me dump a few hundred bucks over the next couple weeks! >:D

EDIT: and for those who are interested, there may be a xmas holiday BAP in the future.

Comments

• Good luck. Looking forward to reading the updates. Off to see if you posted a BAP.
  • We want bap! We want bap! We want bap!>:D
  • I'll be looking for ya, good luck!.......Did someone say Bap?
  • lol, i'll set one up eventually. after xmas most likely.

$2.20 turbo $5K busted
    $5.10 hyper $2.5K busted (i think i'll try to stay away from any other hypers)
    $5.50 PLO $5K 82nd $11.00
    $2.20 rebuy 500 cap busted

i can't start any more MTTs today but if i bust these early enough i'll probably play some omaha cash.
  • Railing. Good luck!
  • Railing. Good luck!

short stacking it right now.
  • played a little bit of 6 max omaha as well.
    176 hands
    88.3 BBs profit
    50.2 BB/100

no more time to play today. hopefully tomorrow will be an actual full day of poker!
  • 4 tabling some 6 max PLO.

EDIT:
    326 hands
    96.3 BBs profit
    29.5 BB/100
  • was tired and had a little nap. playing some more omaha for a bit.

EDIT:
    248 hands
    -35.3 BBs loss
    -14.2 BB/100
  • trigs wrote: »
    played a little bit of 6 max omaha as well.
    176 hands
    88.3 BBs profit
    50.2 BB/100

no more time to play today. hopefully tomorrow will be an actual full day of poker!
    trigs wrote: »
    4 tabling some 6 max PLO.

EDIT:
    326 hands
    96.3 BBs profit
    29.5 BB/100

I think you may have found your game.
  • I'll be looking for ya, good luck!.......Did someone say Bap?

You did!:p
  • djgolfcan wrote: »
    I think you may have found your game.

i'm enjoying the omaha for sure but it's such a volatile and swingy game.

for example, the 2nd session i started out down over 100 BBs early and fought back slowly for a win. 3rd session i was down over 200 BBs early, fought back to even, and then lost a little back before quitting. i could easily drop 500 BBs (i.e. 5 buy-ins) in no time at all if i hit a bad run.

as long as i can keep my mind in it 100% i think i will do okay. i do tend to get a little bored when playing cash games though and then i start to not focus enough.
  • okay, the ice storm has convinced me to stay home all day and play some pokerz!

the bigger $5.50 $40K busted QQ<TT
    $5.50 PLO $5K busted
    $5.40 turbo knockout $7.5K 336th for $12.35
    $3.30 6 max $3K busted 77<JJ
  • power outages all around me so i don't think i'll be registering for any more MTTs just in case.
    power outages all around me so i don't think i'll be registering for any more MTTs just in case.

I thought part time grinder like you would have a generator.
  • I thought part time grinder like you would have a generator.

lol i'm not sure if i'd even categorize myself as a part time grinder. i hardly play at all anymore :(

and i've considered getting a generator (not for poker though, but it'd work with that too!)
    lol i'm not sure if i'd even categorize myself as a part time grinder. i hardly play at all anymore :(

and i've considered getting a generator (not for poker though, but it'd work with that too!)

I'm sure you are aware of this, but if you're going to get one:

• Run it outside (sounds obvious, but many die each year by not doing so and getting CO'd to death.)
    • Don't suicide wire it, or backfeed and kill some poor guy trying to repair your power lines somewhere down the line. Again, happens every year.
  • have been 4 tabling omaha for a bit. forgot to look at starting bankroll though so i have no idea how much i'm down right now (like half a buy in i think?)

played just shy of 600 hands. my best guess is i was down around 100 BBs (1 buy-in) in the end. 10th hand in i lost an all in so was fighting back right off the bat. dropped to probably close to 300 BBs down at lowest point.
  • played more omaha today.

512 hands
    268.7 BBs profit
    52.5 BB/100
  • no more poker for today. heading out to tucker's marketplace for xmas dinner tonight!
    played more omaha today.

512 hands
    268.7 BBs profit
    52.5 BB/100

What stakes are you playing ?
  • Nice session, keep it up.
  • djgolfcan wrote: »
    What stakes are you playing ?

Low stakes. 4 tabling PLO 6 max $.05-$.10

I'm still learning Omaha.
  • today and tomorrow are most likely write offs as far as poker goes. i may be able to squeeze in a few hands this afternoon but i doubt it. i have two xmas gatherings today and another two tomorrow, so i think i'll have to wait until boxing day. real life is always in the way :D
  • I'm sure you are aware of this, but if you're going to get one:

• Run it outside (sounds obvious, but many die each year by not doing so and getting CO'd to death.)
    • Don't suicide wire it, or backfeed and kill some poor guy trying to repair your power lines somewhere down the line. Again, happens every year.

already happened a bunch of times in toronto, the 1st one, unreal
  • Play .05/.10 deep. It Allows you to 3 bet pre flop more and disguise your AAXX hands. At at those blinds it won't hurt you financially. This will help your game.
  • payperview wrote: »
    Play .05/.10 deep. It Allows you to 3 bet pre flop more and disguise your AAXX hands. At at those blinds it won't hurt you financially. This will help your game.

i've sat at the deep tables a handful of times and got decimated for some reason. i may have just had a bad run of cards though. i'll consider giving it a try again in the future.

like i mentioned, i'm still new to omaha and i'm still learning the game. i'd like to play more hands before i start to hop around into different versions of the game. honestly, i've probably played less than 5000 omaha cash games hands in my entire life ;) i've just started taking omaha seriously this year.
  • check the staking section for my xmas BAP.
  • played a few MTTs yesterday that are not included in the BAP:

$1.10 busted
    $5.50 1000 cap $2K 80th $8.94
    $2.20 turbo $5K busted
    $3.30 $4K busted
    $2.70 turbo knockout $7.5K busted
  • Remember in PLO it's starting hand value that is very important. Position is also important. Phil galfond had some great videos saying how you don't want to play weaker hands in a multiway pot.