-273°C deck

1/2 home game. Fairly loose aggressive with pots often > $100. Stacks range from 150 to 900.

Decent profitable player with 900 straddles utg for 5. Apparently he was down a couple hundred at this point.

Loose profitable player with 700 in mp who usually plays higher stakes causally tosses in 5. He was around even at this point. Fairly tight marginally profitable player with 300 in mp+1 raises to 31. He was about even at this point. Standard 3x raises are called 7 ways usually so the usual raise here is 5 to 10x.

Utg player thinks about it for a second and calls. Mp player doesn't hesitate to call.

Flop is aq6 with 2 to a flush. Checked around.

Turn is an off suit k. Utg nervously rams 200 into the 96 pot. Mp calls very quickly. Another guy starts talking about the hand and utg quickly and angrily tells him to shut up. Mp+1 counts his chips a few times mutters a bunch about filthy cock suckers and finally folds.

Utg bets 400 in the dark. River is a brick. Mp folds fairly quickly. Mp+1 shows mp his folded hand and mp says he had that beat. Utg says it is hard to believe either lay down because he didn't see the cards

What hands could they have? Did any of these plays make sense? Anyone want to discuss before I reveal any of the hands and spoil it? Anyone care?

tapatalk puts this here to annoy YOU

Comments

• That is ABSOLUTELY a cold deck. ;)
  • MP+1 Qx suited, UTG Kx, MP JJ.. Not sure why it's a cold deck...

Course I don't play poker...
  • JJ doesn't beat Qx

• Ahh, I don't read well..
  • Maybe the fact I was also in the hand will help fan the fire.....
  • Also, it was a $1/$2 $10k max game, although max buy-in was only $1k [footnote for BF, rake-free]. True deepstack game, not like that pussy 300bb crap they play in Calgary.
  • sounds like an awesome game, I love the deepstacks.

i'll take a stab:

tight marginally profitable player with 300 in mp1: Raises the limpers to $31. Has a good hand obviously, and wants to narrow the field. So lets say AA KK QQ JJ, AK and AQ are possible, AJ A10s are possible, a steal the blinds scenario is possible so lets say 5 or so hands he'd attempt to steal with.

utg player thinks and calls: I figure this range is wide. You guys are playing dee-eep, so suited connectors are coming in, all pairs, AK AQ, suited broadways... and depending on how often these $31 bets are being called (ie, are you guys drinking?:) i'd include one gappers like 9-7, 8-6

MP player doesn't hesitate to call: he knew he was coming in if utg called and instacalled, so he's got an easy decision type hand. I think that means all pocket pairs 10's and under, all suited connectors, all connectors, suited one gappers, basically the same range as utg but with even more garbage on the bottom end.

Flop is aq6 with 2 to a flush. Checked around.

one of these guys hit the flop and checked, hoping for a bet to check raise. Could be anyone, but given the range its most likley the tight-ass in mp1 with 2 people behind him or the UTG who still had a player to act behind him when he called $31.

Turn is an off suit k, Utg nervously rams 200 into the 96 pot.

This bet could be anything. UTG's range was wide, so a semi bluff is surely possible. On the flip side, he could have AK, AQ and deciding that having missed his check raise attempt on the flop had to overbet now. Even still, he may even be betting here with nothing due to the weakness shown on the flop.

Mp calls very quickly
    The call narrows his range. We're deep stacked so a call with flush draw can't be ruled out. A pair and flush draw combo like a J10s, KQs, QJs, AQs, AKs would be in even better shape. Could be a set trying to control the size of the pot.

UTG bets 400 in the dark. River is a brick. Mp folds fairly quickly.

MP needed to improve to win, so we're looking more and more like a flush draw with a pair. Given the insta-fold I'm going to say something like QJs for the flush draw and a pair.

UTG's bet in the dark smells like another flush draw and a pair. what other hand bets that river in the dark? No way hes betting dark with a set, 2 pair, 1 pair, he has to have the draw. He may even be putting MP on the same draw, thinking that if both guys hit the flush he gets all the money. I'm going to say AKs with a flush draw for UTG.

Mp+1 shows mp his folded hand and mp says he had that beat.

ditched AQo?

(probably way off on all that, but it was fun to speculate!)
  • Bill you get a cookie. Not quite right though.

If mp1 had AQ then what did mp have that beat it?

Don't forget jt would be a damn good hand here.

• Oh damn you are right i totally overlooked the J10 straight... But given the folds how can anyone have it?? 400 dark with the straight???? Sign me up for this game if the straight bet 400 dark there!
  • I think mp bets the flop with a flush draw 75-100% of the time. Especially with a pair or any kind of straight draw

If a straight doesn't bet dark then what hand does?

• K now I am dying to know what everyone had!
  • Bfillmaff wrote: »
    K now I am dying to know what everyone had!

Not yet, waiting for GTA to chime in.

I was the MP player and the shove blind really confused me. I know the utg player well and when he over bet the flop,, I knew he had a big hand. The most sensible hand was J10 suited, with the nuts and a draw to the flush. So he knows he is good and a flush can only improve his hand. So he bets blind and hopes if the flush comes it is good. I have seen him push all in with a big draw but not after a big flop bet. My fold on the river wasn't that fast. I concluded I was facing J10 and didn't hit one of my anticipated outs on the river.
  • Who?

• Yeah. J10s is for sure a part of his range - and you are right, if hes got the nuts and the flush draw he could definitely make that dark bet. What an interesting hand... Still dont know if i like the dark bet, but it does make sense if hes suited.
  • Mp had kk

• pkrfce9 wrote: »
    Mp had kk

Prick! Now you have gone and ruined the ending!
  • oooh damn, big laydown for sure.

did you actually get to see the winner's hand? (I wouldn't be able to sleep at night!)
  • There's an ending?

• pkrfce9 wrote: »
    There's an ending?

What the other two players had.
    r
  • Is it time? Seems like interest has died down.

Mp+1 hand next? Go ahead JAH

• Yawn

Mp+1 had qq

• did anyone actually see what the dark betting UTG had?
  • Bfillmaff wrote: »
    did anyone actually see what the dark betting UTG had?

We were told AA. So basically AA vs KK vs QQ with AQ flop, no action and K on the turn. Lucky for me the board doesnèt pair on the river :)

btw, how do I get rid of this annoying èèèèèèèèÉÉÉÉÉÉÉ in Windows 8!
  • press ctrl and shift at the same time jah

now hold on... did anyone actually see said AA?
  • Utg saw it

• Not buying it. No way he has AA.

I'd wager that KK was good.

(How can we explain dark betting 400 with AA?)
  • How much you wanna bet?

• How much I want to bet is not the question...

"How do I find a game where people dark bet 400 into that river with AA"
    ... Now THAT is the question...

Not trying to shit on UTG's play... But for the sake of discussion... What is the logic behind that bet?

In my mind, he's making all hands he is beating fold (as they did) meanwhile anyone drawing gets to raise him when they hit or fold when they dont. To top it all off, when they do hit he has built a huge pot that he likely has to call off the rest of his stack.

I just love discussing this stuff... What am I missing?
  • Btw... if you were the UTG pardon my criticism. hind sight is 20-20 and sometimes you have to go with your instinct.

Maybe utg was representing the draw, hoping to get raised by a worse hand when it didnt get there? What does the math say?
  • Mp didn't have much behind the 400. So no risk of being raised out of the pot.

Apparently he put mp on a flush draw also with a gut shot potential. So there were a lot of scare cards he claimed he didn't want to worry about. Seems like faulty thinking to me.

Seems like a lot of mistakes were made this hand.