What are the odds?

I was playing hold em on Stars today.. My hole cards were 10 Q

I ended up getting quad queens, with a set of tens on the side.

Would anyone be able to calculate the odds of getting quads and a set on the same hand? Seems to me its less likely than getting a royal flush.

Comments

• Eric270 wrote: »

I ended up getting quad queens, with a set of tens on the side.

yes-rudy1.gif
  • [ ] had a set
  • 50 50 -- prolly higher if you are playing with an unlimited 2/5 bankroll
  • Eric270, I'll answer you seriously, I'm assuming you mean the board ran out QQQTT, pretty much filling almost all the case cards. It's definitely very rare, but if you've played over 100,000 hands of poker, you'll see a lot of rare hands come up. In terms of numbered odds, maybe someone can calculate it for you, but in reality....does it really matter? :)
  • simple, you're holding 2 cards, then you have 5 outs for the first card, 4 for the 2nd 3 for the third 2 for the 4th etc, mathematically it's

5!/(50!/45!) or 5/50 * 4/49 * 3/48 * 2/47 * 1/46

now go run that through a calculator and multiply it by 100 to get % :P
  • Richard~ wrote: »
    simple, you're holding 2 cards, then you have 5 outs for the first card, 4 for the 2nd 3 for the third 2 for the 4th etc, mathematically it's

i always hated finite math. definitely preferred algebra (and even calculus).
  • I took them all in grade 13. At this point, I can't remember a bloody thing about any of it.

Sad, as I really used to enjoy that stuff.
  • That would be grade school arithmetic: )
  • Richard~ wrote: »
    simple, you're holding 2 cards, then you have 5 outs for the first card, 4 for the 2nd 3 for the third 2 for the 4th etc, mathematically it's

This is wrong, since there are 6 cards that he could hit. It is actually 3*2*1*3*2*2*5!/3!/2! Over 50!/45!

(The first extra *2 is the fact that you could quad either your higher or lower card. The 5!/3!/2! Is to compensate for the different orders that the cards could come in)
    Or about 1 in 175,563
  • Lol, wondered if Al would find this... Our resident math guru is rarely wrong..
  • I took them all in grade 13. At this point, I can't remember a bloody thing about any of it.

Sad, as I really used to enjoy that stuff.

i took them all in grade 13 as well. i always like math but i didn't want to take it in college. too much math theory involved. also, math is the type of class that you can't skip ^-^
  • thats like a super-full house hahahahaha