WSOP Final Table Trip Report

On this trip to Vegas, it was to play the Venetian deepstack. I had planned this trip to return on the Monday red-eye. When I checked the WSOP schedule, I realized that I would be able to go to the Rio to experience the start of the final table.

On Sunday at the Aria 1pm daily, one of the guys playing was a reporter (didn't get his name) who covered poker. He gave me some tips about how to get into the theatre to see it. Since I was checking out anyway from Ballys, I marched my stuff up to the Rio (the free shuttle doesn't allow luggage) for about 2pm and got in line for general admission. There are two other reserved lines - one for the mosh pit at the very front and other for reserved seating in behind. General admission was sent up to the balcony. But by being in line early enough, we sat in the first row which was closer than being on the floor.

For those of you having been to the WSOP, you'll know that you pass the Penn & Teller theatre on your way to the convention centre at the back. The line-up did go from the entrance to the theatre all the way back to the convention centre. However everyone got in and general admission was only about half full. Doors opened for us about 3:45.

About 4:15 the TD started announcing the arrival of the players. But this is TV and it was just to gauge the audience, so just a teaser. About 10 minutes later, he did it for real, seat by seat. Each of the players had their own theme music and were marched in on the arm of a lady following another carrying the seat# sign.

While watching a poker table from afar is almost as exciting as watching baseball, at least they had a big screen which basically showed the broadcast feed without sound. We counted at least 10 cameras, not including the hole card cameras. There was another big screen that tracked the table action and showed the cards flopped along with chip counts by player. Sometimes the dealer missed putting the showdown cards in the correct place, so we missed some of those hands.

Also, it being TV, during the commercial breaks, there were no hands being played, so we sat and watched the paint dry a little longer. At times the TD had to remind the players more than once to take their seats before the break ended. A little like babysitting.

The award for the most original way to check goes to Greg Merson. He would always sit with his arms folded on the table padding and would lift the top arm up and down twice. Since the TD was standing directly behind Greg, he never saw a check, just then notice that it was Jesse's action.

I left shortly after Steve Gee busted in 9th, had dinner, and went to the airport. Air Canada now flies out of the new Terminal 3 as does WestJet. I walked the entire terminal to check it out. I found at the far end of the terminal at gate E12 a pub which has good food (including takeout) and local organic beer. It also was open until 11pm whereas everything else closes around 9 or earlier.

While this Vegas trip was (again) less than satisfactory on the bankroll, it was another learning experience. Maybe next time.

Attachment not found.

Comments

• Nice report
  • nice one Tom, so what did you play? How did it go?
  • Was there Thursday to Monday. Played Aria 1pm Thursday. Then Venetian Day 1b Friday. Made it to Day 2 on Saturday but had lowest stack, so busted in 3 hands. Then played $1-2 cash at Venetian for a bit - typical group: tourist with $60; woman with sunglasses and baseball cap (played with her in June); reg with earphones and a book; 2 old guys with wives as spectators (Caro's tell #8 - classic - showing their hands, just watch the wives), couple of kids. Too many bad beats, so I left. Then played the Aria 7pm and got to 8th - 5 pay. Played cash at Bally's - a lot of pros there, so tough game. Lost big pot playing AKo against pro on my right - flop QT7, J on turn, all-in against TT, fkn 7 on river. Played Aria 1pm on Sunday - got to 30th of 130.

As for daily tourneys there, the Aria fits my game. But found the 7pm much softer than the 1pm - less regulars, more drinking. Floor had to be called several times. Turns out it was also a full moon, as the TD pointed out.

But got 2 straight flushes in 30 minutes playing 3-card poker waiting for a seat. Pays 40-1.
  • asxn557 wrote: »
    But got 2 straight flushes in 30 minutes playing 3-card poker waiting for a seat. Pays 40-1.
    Niiiiiice, see skill does eventually show through... ;) Hopefully you used up all the runbad for PFC.. Will certainly let everyone know my thoughts on Aria and Venetian and see how they compare to yours. That AK hand was just gross...