Royal Cup improvements thread

To document changes we can make to improve.

1/ Balance out ending between Stud and Omaha round

2/ Schedule in time for captains to pick HU matches

3/ Perhaps change the limit round to PLHE instead? This was suggested by a few ppl. Do we really hate limit that much.. Where's Kristy when we need her?

Please post any additional things we may be able to improve on.

Comments

• Less HBK cashes, and more Pinheads.

I think keeping the limit round is a good idea but liked a suggestion after the previous RC to maybe start the blinds a bit higher but with longer levels. Makes all the pots more important from the start and would push the action a bit more early without making it complete bingo by level 3-4
  • <- Needs to play better. :)
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    <- Needs to play better. :)
    Could be said about a few of us....
  • I am happy with the limit round. I would much rather play limit than PLHE. With the blind structure we have, I don't see it much different from NLHE - just extra math on the first few bets.

It will be tough to figure out how to even out the Omaha and Stud rounds. I think it is the nature of the games. I would hate to see the Stud round changed much.

I would suggest you make the extra bets $10 total. Either find a 5th thing or make the MVP buy-in $4. It seems a little silly to have an $8 buy-in for that part.
  • Pinhead wrote: »
    Less HBK cashes, and more Pinheads.

I think keeping the limit round is a good idea but liked a suggestion after the previous RC to maybe start the blinds a bit higher but with longer levels. Makes all the pots more important from the start and would push the action a bit more early without making it complete bingo by level 3-4

Wrong. Read my post about that from previous Royal.

As long as the 50k HORSE remains the premier event at the WSOP, limit HE stays unless you think people would rather play razz.
  • live internet broadcast would be cool. Moving it to Richmond Hill would be handy.
  • I hate limit.

I think it should stay.
    Pinhead wrote: »
    Less HBK cashes, and more Pinheads.

+1

+1000

/g2
  • moose wrote: »
    Wrong. Read my post about that from previous Royal.

So you want more HBK cashes and less Pinheads? ;)

I've never looked at it too carefully but the feeling seems to be the limit events drag on a bit longer. This may be from people who are not used to playing limit games so they don't have the level of anticipation that any hand could be your last, but when you match up the PLO/Stud games there are usually a couple stud tables running after PLO finishes.

Personally, I'm fine with the limit round as is because I usually only get to play the early levels anyway so I'd rather have a little play then. If we can get the Stud/PLO finishes lined up that would be great, but the timing seems to have come a long way over the last couple events even (from what I read on this one, at least).

Maybe a 15 minute "dinner" break to let the captains set the HU matches before the NL round starts? Wouldn't extend the day much and should be enough time to get it done without the distraction of actual play.

Also, I like Sandy's suggestion to make the side-bets a round $10, either with a $4 MVP so the 50% for each person is closer to the high hand jackpots, or a $2 LVP maybe? Would be much less tilting for whoever draws my name...
  • I would suggest you make the extra bets $10 total. Either find a 5th thing or make the MVP buy-in $4. It seems a little silly to have an $8 buy-in for that part.
    Also, I like Sandy's suggestion to make the side-bets a round $10, either with a $4 MVP so the 50% for each person is closer to the high hand jackpots, or a $2 LVP maybe? Would be much less tilting for whoever draws my name...

I like it too but I would be afraid of rewarding the LVP. You don't want a situation where people would like to lose heads up as it is usually the main determining factor in crowning the champions. Losing shouldn't really be rewarded but just come naturally like with me.
  • Remove Limit and everybody plays Stud, PLO, NL and a HU match.

I'm all for upping the MVP 50/50 to $4.

KEEP THE SAME VENUE!
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    Remove Limit and everybody plays Stud, PLO, NL and a HU match.

KEEP THE SAME VENUE!

+ 1

KEEP THE SAME VENUE!

I like this!
  • I like limit

It should stay. It's more relevant than stud.

Mark
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    I like limit

It should stay. It's more relevant than stud.

Mark

But we get to play Hold'em twice already and 7CS is a limit game.
  • I'd like to see a hyper-turbo Team SNG to start the event.
    Gets all the teams together at their own table, everyone can see who's who and it doesn't need to extend/delay the start more then 15 minutes.
  • Wolffhound wrote: »
    I'd like to see a hyper-turbo Team SNG to start the event.
    Gets all the teams together at their own table, everyone can see who's who and it doesn't need to extend/delay the start more then 15 minutes.

How about team flipaments?
  • The spread of games and the blind structures are fine. I wouldn't change anything.
    But we get to play Hold'em twice already and 7CS is a limit game.

Right

But if you look at game relevance, limit is 2nd most behind NLHE only I'd bet. If we disregard relevance, let's get 5 card draw, badugi, razz, 5 card stud, or some such in there.

I think limit should stay because not everyone knows other games. Limit Hold em, though a hold-em game, is clearly different enough from NLHE give the whining (I mean, difference in results) of the NLHE fanatics.

Mark

KEEP THE SAME VENUE!

This is fine. Solves the problem of mismatched stud/plo round. To fix, you would have to add a level or more time to the PLO matches, which went pretty fast.

QFT
    moose wrote: »
    BTW as far as modifying the blinds for limit - if the first level is 25/50 blinds with limits of 50/100, then capped preflop, two bets on the flop and a bet on the turn and river is 10% of the starting stack - how can that not be considered meaningful decision making? There is no reason to change.

Eliminate the 'dinner break' and start the no limit round with a 15 min break, during which people can eat and the captains can make the heads up picks and then everyone can start together. No need to put the captains table a level behind.
  • Wolffhound wrote: »
    I'd like to see a hyper-turbo Team SNG to start the event.

Why don't we just flip $100 bills in the parking lot?

Hyper-turbo SNGs aren't anything but bingo poker.
  • eliminate 7stud and introduce pineapple.
  • rwpkrplr wrote: »
    eliminate 7stud and introduce pineapple.

nooooooo!
  • haha...like i said before. as much i would like to not to see stud at all..the royal was built around this these four variations!! keep it the same
  • IF you are going to change anything, I like Johnnnie's idea. Keeps the basics of the Royal being a multi-disciplined event, while forcing all players to play all variants on offer. It also ensures that all variations of betting (Limit, Pot, and No Limit) are played by all players, too. That being said, I have played all of 4 royals, so I will abstain from further comment.
  • holychow wrote: »
    Why don't we just flip $100 bills in the parking lot?

Hyper-turbo SNGs aren't anything but bingo poker.

Simply a way to get each team together at the same table, prior to the event to kick it off.
  • I think the games that are included in the Royal have a good tradition and it would be a shame to see any of them lost. I disagree with Stud being irrelevant. I think the issue is that Omaha is not a limit game and Stud is which leads to an imbalance in the timing. I think Johnnie's suggestion is interesting and I personally would really like it. However, I do think it would be hard for some teams to find players who are willing to play both Omaha and Stud. I know including anything beyond Hold'em limits the number of people who feel comfortable playing.

I should say, I would be happy if nothing changed in terms of the format of the games themselves.
  • Everyone plays Omaha

Everyone plays Stud

Fire Limit.

Johnnie for President.
  • Limit poker is real poker. Don't take out the LHE.

IF for some reason the organizers decide that there should be a change, the suggestion to have everyone play PLO is a much better one than adding PLHE.
  • Personally I like the format the way it is, maybe add a level or two to give a little more play to the PLO? That way we would balance out the first round but not make the entire event any longer... Remember we used to not finish until almost 11? For the last 2 or 3 it has been done and outa there by 9. As an old guy I like that!

I would NOT like to see everyone forced to play Stud as that would cut the number of players significantly, I'm pretty sure.

As for the HU picks that we do as captains I sure do agree with us either delaying the start of our SNG until we are done, either by having a 15 min break, us just skipping the 1st level, or us running 1 level behind the rest. I kinda like the last one, similar to the way we did it this time.

Any other suggestions as to things we could do to improve? I know we have it pretty well refined by now but there is always room to improve... 6 sigma forever!
  • Forcing stud on everyone would 100% cripple the numbers.

As captain of HBK, who has consistently had different members come and go, filling stud has ALWAYS been the challenge.

Talking with beanie, he had a good idea. Instead of making it stud/Omaha round, make round one all PLO, and round two stud/LHE pair off for the Limit haters.

Mark