How much to pay yourself?

Playing poker takes money (obviously). Most of us have day jobs to keep the bankroll rolling until, eventually, poker pays for its self. Early stages of playing poker are not very profitable because building a bankroll is key. My question is, at what point can someone start pocketing some cash? I suppose it would depend on several factors, many would be individually unique. But in general, would bankroll size, what you play (tourneys/cash and at what limit), bb or buy-ins be considered? Lavish life style? Would it be a percentage of the wins to time spent (hourly wage)?

How do you pay yourself through poker?

Comments

• Shifty wrote: »
    Playing poker takes money (obviously). Most of us have day jobs to keep the bankroll rolling until, eventually, poker pays for its self. Early stages of playing poker are not very profitable because building a bankroll is key. My question is, at what point can someone start pocketing some cash? I suppose it would depend on several factors, many would be individually unique. But in general, would bankroll size, what you play (tourneys/cash and at what limit), bb or buy-ins be considered? Lavish life style? Would it be a percentage of the wins to time spent (hourly wage)?

How do you pay yourself through poker?

I put my winnings in my bank account. I keep track of my sessions on my phone and online in case I lose my phone or it dies. I used to keep my poker money separate, but I don't bother anymore. I know that I make money at poker and I put it into my savings account...ez game.
  • I pay myself 10% of any winnings I get from MTT's. I transfer the 10% into a cdn account on stars and then cashout when there is a good amount to cash out. Use that money for whatever I want. I figure you have to reward yourself for all that hard work grinding.
  • i keep poker money and other money separate. i really only cash out some when i'm looking to purchase something poker related actually (i.e. books, software, chips, live tournaments etc.).

well that or i spew my winnings away in stars mtts.
  • I wouldnt know what its like....hoping to one day though
  • I know what you mean, Shifty. The only thing I have taken poker $$$ for is to send my daighter swimming with Dolphins on our first trip to Cuba. got to give my daughter a once in a lifetime experience, and it did not cost me a dime. Eventually I would like to be rolled enough to have this problem. The 10% idea sounds reasonable . . .
  • Read Jennifear's classic BRM and cashout strategies. My cashout strategy is whenever my wife thinks I have too much money online & keeps nagging me to withdraw! :-[
    Shifty wrote: »
    I suppose it would depend on several factors, many would be individually unique. But in general, would bankroll size, what you play (tourneys/cash and at what limit), bb or buy-ins be considered?
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    Read Jennifear's classic BRM and cashout strategies. My cashout strategy is whenever my wife thinks I have too much money online & keeps nagging me to withdraw! :-[

I think there is a that's what she said in there somewhere
  • Because I do this as my job, basically my life roll is my bankroll...Havent had to worry about it too much lately though. I just always look to increase it anyway I can. If mtts aren't going well Ill switch to more sngs for a day or 2. But I usually make myself cash out off stars if I want to buy something so it doesn't take a hit to my bank account. If I want to buy something for myself I make sure I earn it.