Where to start. Returning player

Comments

• Homonyms, the bane of the 4th grader.
  • philliivey wrote: »
    Yes not as much since poker came along :biggrin2:economy is still crap. If people Are saying it takes a year at least to find a job their is a problem.

hmm correlation between time is takes to find a job and benefits running out.
  • I guess I lost connection to this thread. Why are we talking about economy and finding jobs?

But I am from Europe, finding a job is not harder over here than over there.
    Btw. I found a job, 3 weeks after landing....

But as I said, this is very OT
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    If you haven't played for a long time and expect to be making money online you are in for quite a shock. Training sites should be much more useful than books for online play.

shock, why? I'm not thinking of winning within the first year of ''practice''. Do you know any good training sites?
  • Don't use the pocket 5's one that's for sure. Got a free month and I want my $ back.

Very little new content.
    NO PLO content to speak of.
    Only a couple of SnG videos that are old.
  • Hobbes, what do you think of DragTheBar? I had a free trial with them and dropped it before the billing date because I couldn't get audio on any of the videos.
  • I found DTB and Grinder School to be decent
  • What about cardrunners and leggopoker. They look pretty decent
  • DTB / Grinderschool have more micros iirc.

What do you play?
  • winterfell wrote: »
    What I'm trying to find is a sirt of general book, with strategies, maths, odds etc. in generell. Some basic concepts.
    Sounds like you want to start first with a very basic book such as Phil Gordon's Little Green Book. After you've applied the basics, you can read Phil's new Little Gold Book or one of the many e-books available from US online pros who got fired by the US government on Black Friday.

If I was a micro stakes cash game player, I would look into buying Canadian blackrain79's Crushing The Microstakes: The Definitive Guide From The #1 Winner of All Time for only $19.99!
    Hobbes wrote: »
    Don't use the pocket 5's one that's for sure. Got a free month and I want my $ back.
    Very little new content.
    NO PLO content to speak of.
    Only a couple of SnG videos that are old.
    I thought Wetts1012 & darbday spoke highly of PokerPwnage/P5. Is it because the US coaches stopped producing videos after Black Friday? I found this to be the case at DragTheBar where the only new MTT videos was by Colin Moshman's wife. Even though I'm a DragTheBar member, I haven't used it much as I continue to find higher +EV ways to spend my learning time than training sites, such as studying how to maximize poker software like PokerTracker and AHK.
  • gritgar wrote: »
    In Canada, you can also deposit (and very smoothly cash out) on Party Poker using Canadian EFT, which basically transfers money back and forth from your chequing account to your Party account. That's how I do my poker transactions. But like Milo I'm a BMO customer and TD and/or CIBC might block transactions of that sort.
    Does anybody know if EFT works with PCF (President's Choice Financial) without any fees or problems? Instead of continuing to withdraw from PartyPoker to a U$ account via wire transfer, I'm thinking of converting my PartyPoker account from U$ to C$, then EFT C$ withdrawals to PCF. Is EFT the best choice in PartyPoker for C$ withdrawals?
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    I thought Wetts1012 & darbday spoke highly of PokerPwnage/P5. Is it because the US coaches stopped producing videos after Black Friday?

That's what I think too
  • Thanks for the great help.

I basically want to start with micro and play my way up.
    Does anybody know if EFT works with PCF (President's Choice Financial) without any fees or problems? Instead of continuing to withdraw from PartyPoker to a U$ account via wire transfer, I'm thinking of converting my PartyPoker account from U$ to C$, then EFT C$ withdrawals to PCF. Is EFT the best choice in PartyPoker for C$ withdrawals?

I do that no prob. Mine is in usd though so they get me on exchange
  • winterfell wrote: »
    Thanks for the great help.

I basically want to start with micro and play my way up.

Grinder school then. It is a micro targeted training site.
    I thought Wetts1012 & darbday spoke highly of PokerPwnage/P5.

TPE has eclipsed Pwnage/P5, and by a significant margin for MTT.
  • actyper wrote: »
    I do that no prob. Mine is in usd though so they get me on exchange
    PartyPoker seems to have a ~5% spread for withdrawing U$ into C$ so we lose some money on every conversion, just like Instadebit, etc. That's why I'm thinking of converting my PartyPoker account into Cdn $, since I spend in C$ not U$.
  • Is it possible to change your existing Party Poker account from USD to CAD, or do you select your account currency only when you first create the account?
    Is it possible to change your existing Party Poker account from USD to CAD, or do you select your account currency only when you first create the account?
    Yes, you can change your account currency, just like many Europeans have changed from U$ to Euros. I plan to withdraw most of my U$ first to minimize any conversion loss to C$. It's best to use your home currency for your bank, site, Moneybookers, etc. Does anybody know if you can have both a U$ and C$ account with Moneybookers?
    Yes, you can change your account currency, just like many Europeans have changed from U$ to Euros. I plan to withdraw most of my U$ first to minimize any conversion loss to C$. It's best to use your home currency for your bank, site, Moneybookers, etc. Does anybody know if you can have both a U$ and C$ account with Moneybookers?

All I know is I cannot use moneybookers anymore, never got the valid code for address or whatever in the mail, and they won't resend you another one.
  • philliivey wrote: »
    All I know is I cannot use moneybookers anymore, never got the valid code for address or whatever in the mail, and they won't resend you another one.

Moneybookers is extremely anal about "security." I avoid them because of the ridiculous lengths they go to to make using their service inconvenient. Plus Canadians can't load their Moneybookers account using anything except a credit card as funding it from your bank account requires a wire transfer--and the cost of transferring money back to your bank account is exorbitant as that's also done by wire transfer. In general it's best not to have anything to do with them.
  • I was going to recomend Harrington on Holdem as well. He has several books out and they are a great read. easy to understand and well writen (this comming from a guy that can't write) Harrington has books on both cash and tournie. Also Caro's Most profitable Hold'em Advice (not as easy a read as Harrington) I find these books good for tight agressive play.

Ps look on amazon and ebay for sales
    Moneybookers is extremely anal about "security." I avoid them because of the ridiculous lengths they go to to make using their service inconvenient. Plus Canadians can't load their Moneybookers account using anything except a credit card as funding it from your bank account requires a wire transfer--and the cost of transferring money back to your bank account is exorbitant as that's also done by wire transfer. In general it's best not to have anything to do with them.

Ya avoid a site that has high security requirements. :D

I've never had an issue with them and my last wire xfer only cost approx $35.
  • Hobbes wrote: »

More like insanely excessive security requirements. I regard Moneybookers as a company suffering from paranoia.

I've never had an issue with them and my last wire xfer only cost approx $35.
    gritgar wrote: »
    More like insanely excessive security requirements. I regard Moneybookers as a company suffering from paranoia.

lol, so it's better to have a company with poor security handle your money?
    Have no issues with Moneybookers either. It's all I've used since Neteller pulled out of Canada.
  • why don't people just use echecks?
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    why don't people just use echecks?

I use Moneybookers to save on exchange when moving money between sites
    I use Moneybookers to save on exchange when moving money between sites

And that is it's biggest advantage.. I am always moving funds around and MB makes it so easy..
  • Pnut310 wrote: »
    I was going to recomend Harrington on Holdem as well. He has several books out and they are a great read. easy to understand and well writen (this comming from a guy that can't write) Harrington has books on both cash and tournie. Also Caro's Most profitable Hold'em Advice (not as easy a read as Harrington) I find these books good for tight agressive play.

Ps look on amazon and ebay for sales

They look really nice. I will go with the Harrington books. I like it when I can stick to a writer for multiple books.
  • compuease wrote: »
    lol, so it's better to have a company with poor security handle your money?

Not what I'm saying at all. There is just such a thing as excessive security requirements. If you let security people run amok, they will turn your world into a prison camp. Moneybookers comes close to doing that. So, for quite a while, did the airline security industry, with its silly requirement that passengers surrender their housekeys and shoes to a purser.