Secret's of sit n go's

So I just ordered this book by Phil Shaw, it described on some areas I want to look/work/refresh at, anybody read this book before and how was it?

Did it help you for heads up?

Comments

• Why wouldn't you just join a coaching site? So much better for online games.
  • I have been thinking of that also, but I don't think any of them are doing so well since black Friday, go read 2p2 and see the blue fire fiasco going on right now.
  • I read it and it helped my significantly when I was playing SNGs. In the poker static interview for bluefire I said I read a book that talked about making 100k per year at SNGs and caused me to switch to 9-mans and go from ~1k to >5k for the first time. This was the book. Took me 2 years to make the100k tho :P
  • Vekked wrote: »
    I read it and it helped my significantly when I was playing SNGs. In the poker static interview for bluefire I said I read a book that talked about making 100k per year at SNGs and caused me to switch to 9-mans and go from ~1k to >5k for the first time. This was the book. Took me 2 years to make the100k tho :P

HAHA, I hoped I would have got it today, but no luck :(, it is on route so hopefully tomorrow! On a separate note I upgraded my phone to a smart phone so I can do all my internet stuff during the day instead of evening to hopefully open up time for me to play more. :)
  • Got it today!

Just random open it and opened it to a page with metagame section on it, thought of GTA poker,LOL.:D
  • Post results since reading the book once already (gonna take a few more reads)

4 cashes, 2 bubbles 3 non cashes.
  • That book is next to my computer, almost my SnG bible. Really helped my game. Did a lot better on FTP SnG's. Gotta keep reminding myself to open my range quicker on stars due to the faster blind structure and antes.....
  • Too bad it can't help you overcome badluck/curse.:(

I know what blondefish is talking about having a worst month ever.
  • Has anyone read the other one? (Secrets of non-standard sit n gos.. I think)
  • Just ordered Colin Moshman's Book (Expert Strategies for SnG's I believe is the title). I'll let you know what I think when I get it. I've "heard" its better than Phil Shaw's, but so far Shaw's is the best SnG book I've read.

Haven't read is non-standard SnG book yet though.....
  • CdnVet0506 wrote: »
    Just ordered Colin Moshman's Book (Expert Strategies for SnG's I believe is the title). I'll let you know what I think when I get it. I've "heard" its better than Phil Shaw's, but so far Shaw's is the best SnG book I've read.

Haven't read is non-standard SnG book yet though.....

Awwwww, I can't find moshman's book anywhere.:(
  • I should have said Barrie lol , Book stores are terrible for poker books here.
  • philliivey wrote: »
    HAHA, I hoped I would have got it today, but no luck :(, it is on route so hopefully tomorrow! On a separate note I upgraded my phone to a smart phone so I can do all my internet stuff during the day instead of evening to hopefully open up time for me to play more. :)

As for the phone part, still waiting for it to come, terrible service and I am going to lose it on em tomorrow night if I don't get it tomorrow, as for the bankroll part no vacation payout on this pay :(, one guy says next pay so hopefully! As for adding to the bankroll to play the next level I may be able to add to current bankroll, won't be at 100 buy in's more like around 50 buy in's so will have to see I guess.

Other option is to have another bankroll on another site so I Have 2 sites to play on if one is not going well. ( Hurry up regulated ftp2!)

Will see what happens and how it goes!, Oh ya rereading sng book's too.;)
  • Moshman's book was great when it was released back in 2007, and is one of several books that I made a lot of money from (along with Harrington & Arnold Snyder), but I thought it would be dated by now. A better one for beating today's tough SNGs may be the upcoming ebook by my favourite instructor 'zerosum79' - Greg Jones' Crushing Online Sit and Go's.

Some of my favourite training videos were made by him at DragTheBar:
    - Zerosum79's Method for Memorizing Nash Equilibrium
    - Calculating the ICM Tax
    - Tools of the Trade I: Advanced SNG HUD
    - Making -EV Shoves in SNG's
    CdnVet0506 wrote: »
    Just ordered Colin Moshman's Book (Expert Strategies for SnG's I believe is the title). I'll let you know what I think when I get it.

By the way, in case pkrfce9 (one of the best posters ever) happens to be lurking this forum, I still have your Moshman book (borrowed for my Snyder book).
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    Moshman's book was great when it was released back in 2007, and is one of several books that I made a lot of money from (along with Harrington & Arnold Snyder), but I thought it would be dated by now. A better one for beating today's tough SNGs may be the upcoming ebook by my favourite instructor 'zerosum79' - Greg Jones' Crushing Online Sit and Go's.

By the way, in case pkrfce9 (one of the best posters ever) happens to be lurking this forum, I still have your Moshman book (borrowed for my Snyder book).

Thanks for this blondefish, I thought the same also about moshman's being outdated but you peeked my interest on this ebook one though........

Just sent him an email...
  • I will ship the Moshman book to anyone who wants it, free.
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    I will ship the Moshman book to anyone who wants it, free.

ZOMG! Yes please! p.m. me, that is very generous of you sir.

I know I said it may be out dated but I still want to read it. :)
    A better one for beating today's tough SNGs may be the upcoming ebook by my favourite instructor 'zerosum79' - Greg Jones' Crushing Online Sit and Go's.

funny, sort of like a next gen. situation,

""
    Posted by zerosum79

I am excited to announce that I will be running a contest to turn one lucky DTB forum member into my Superturbo Protege.

A long time ago I was a struggling SNG player with a dream and that dream was fulfilled through winning a training sites contest to become the Protege of Collin Moshman. It was an exciting time and completely changed my life when it comes to the game of poker. Now it is time to give back more than I have already by taking one player and giving them that same gift.""
    So I just ordered this book by Phil Shaw, it described on some areas I want to look/work/refresh at, anybody read this book before and how was it?

Did it help you for heads up?

I was just looking at this on Amazon. One reviewer says

"however you wonder just how much to trust in the writings of the Author because this book is PACKED full of typo's and on at least one page there was conflicting information(page 204)."

any truth to this? Also, what the hell is up with amazon's pricing? I can order the paperback edition for $9.73 or I can go the much easier route and order a kindle version but for almost double the price at $16. How is something transfered electronically more expensive than a physical book?
  • Muddguts wrote: »
    I was just looking at this on Amazon. One reviewer says

"however you wonder just how much to trust in the writings of the Author because this book is PACKED full of typo's and on at least one page there was conflicting information(page 204)."

any truth to this? Also, what the hell is up with amazon's pricing? I can order the paperback edition for $9.73 or I can go the much easier route and order a kindle version but for almost double the price at $16. How is something transfered electronically more expensive than a physical book?

Hmmm, guess it could be, I think vekked would be the best one to answer the 1st paragraph, Like I probably would not follow some of that advice on the quiz part of that book for the levels I play.:)
  • I haven't read the book in a couple years but I thought it was very good and gave me a lot more tools to improve my take than moshmans book (it was good as well but seemed a bit more basic and dated even back then). Another big thing was that moshman was like an avg 109 sng player and shaw was crushing 500+ sngs and on sharkscope leaderboards when his book came out. Take it fwiw.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  • Vekked wrote: »
    I haven't read the book in a couple years but I thought it was very good and gave me a lot more tools to improve my take than moshmans book (it was good as well but seemed a bit more basic and dated even back then). Another big thing was that moshman was like an avg 109 sng player and shaw was crushing 500+ sngs and on sharkscope leaderboards when his book came out. Take it fwiw.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Actually have been playing some hands or close to them more lately in some situations, and I have been surprised at how well I am doing with them, I feel so vekked and btp'ish.:laugh:
    Actually have been playing some hands or close to them more lately in some situations, and I have been surprised at how well I am doing with them, I feel so vekked and btp'ish.:laugh:

StonefaceLMAO.gif
  • OK this book may work at lower levels seriously guys is evenings always this juicy?
  • I'm not a legal expert but I have to think this would be considered entrapment.
  • costanza wrote: »
    StonefaceLMAO.gif

QFlulz

I dont remember posting this
  • costanza wrote: »
    QFlulz

I dont remember posting this

I think they changed the sauce on your sub to something a little stronger without telling you.
  • To update, Also picked up both of moshman's books a few months ago along with notecaddy sng package for hm2, These 2 purchases has been the best money I have spent so far on poker and currently in a little upswing since November including what's probably a online poker record for eliminations in a 18 man.

Eliminated 11 people which includes the whole final table for the win! Now that's the IVEY EFFECT!:wink2: