5 card draw

I'm taking a shot at playing 1/1 PL 5 card draw with only a 16 BI bankroll for an ipad promotion in april. The game is 5 handed, any noob tips to help my chances of getting by?

Comments

• there's a lot more bluffing in 5 card draw than holdem. a ton more. you really have to pay attention to the players who are trying to take advantage of this fact.

i've also found that it is quite profitable to constantly be mixing up your play between aggressive betting and slow playing. there are only two betting rounds and some well timed check raises are a great way to win some nice pots.
  • Play position. What site is this on?
  • Betsson. Not sure if it's on the whole ongame network or not. Basically you play to get 150 player points per day at cashgames with 100 dollar max BI or higher (2/4 for limit games) for 15 days this month to get a ticket to a freeroll with 75 added ipads

There really doesn't seem to be much bluffing at all going on, just a whole lot of checking and folding after the draw
  • Richard~ wrote: »
    There really doesn't seem to be much bluffing at all going on, just a whole lot of checking and folding after the draw

then it sounds like you're playing against weak players.
    Betsson. Not sure if it's on the whole ongame network or not. Basically you play to get 150 player points per day at cashgames with 100 dollar max BI or higher (2/4 for limit games) for 15 days this month to get a ticket to a freeroll with 75 added ipads

Then you can bluff more;)
  • Bluffing aside, does anyone know some percentages of how often you're dealt a better hand than a highcard, a better hand than a pair and a better hand than two pairs before the draw?

I'm having a little trouble getting my opening and calling ranges smooth, and I'm really in trouble in some 3bet pots.

Also, if you have a hand like AKJ105 after the button and the SB limps and you're in the BB, do you keep AKJ10 or AK?
    Bluffing aside, does anyone know some percentages of how often you're dealt a better hand than a highcard, a better hand than a pair and a better hand than two pairs before the draw?

I'm having a little trouble getting my opening and calling ranges smooth, and I'm really in trouble in some 3bet pots.

Also, if you have a hand like AKJ105 after the button and the SB limps and you're in the BB, do you keep AKJ10 or AK?

to answer your second question first, i never chase gut shots in 5 card draw, so i'd be holding onto AK in that situation. i'll only chase open-ended straight draws. however, in 5 card draw, your actual cards are really not as important as how you represent them.

and here are the general 5 card draw odds:

Odds of being dealt specific hands before the draw.

• Any Pair – 2.3/1
    • Pair Jacks or Better – 6.7/1
    • Two Pairs – 20/1
    • Trips – 46/1
    • Straight – 254/1
    • Flush – 508/1
    • Full House – 693/1
    • Quads – 4164/1
    • Straight Flush – 64973/1
    Calculating Odds Of Improving After The Draw.

There are a huge number of combinations of both starting hands and number of cards drawn. The basic rule for drawing is to count the number of ‘outs’ unseen cards that will improve your hand, and compare this to the total number of unseen cards. For example when drawing to a pair you have 47 unseen cards and 2 trip outs with the first card, the second card may then match the first giving you 2 pair and the 3rd may match either of the first 2. The probabilities would then be combined in a way to say ‘improve to trips or better’.
    Common Drawing Odds In 5-Card Draw:

When Drawing 3 cards Holding A Pair

• Improving to 2 pairs – 5.3/1
    • Improving to trips – 7.7/1
    • Improving to A Full House – 97/1
    • Improving to Quads – 359/1
    When Drawing 2 Cards Holding Trips

• Improving to a Full House – 15.4/1
    • Improving to Quads – 22.5/1
    When Drawing One Card Holding 2 pairs

• Improving to A Full House – 10.7/1
    When Drawing One Card Holding An Open Ended Straight or 4 Flush