Playing online poker for a living

I want to play poker online for a living. I don't like driving far distances to play poker, so I love playing so much it is impossbile to give it up because its even on TV these days. I have concluded that I would like to play online. I am going to work from a small bankroll and small limits using 300x to 350x the big bet. I will use Party Poker or Empire Poker since they are giving away bonus points. Also, should I use NetTeller with my money? I am doing everything to get my game up to par. As I progress through the weeks, I will update the forum with all that I can. I am willing to roast my face in front of the monitor for 8 hours a day if it may sacrafice that, mentally prepared and squeeze-ball equipped.

If there is any advice from personal experiences or your friends experiences, please share. It will be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• so I love playing so much it is impossbile to give it up because its even on TV these days.
    Wellllll.... CSI is on TV too, but you don't see many people donning rubber gloves and picking pieces of hair out of couches....

Best of luck to you. You know what they say, it's a tough way to make an easy living. Personally, I would die of boredom if I had to play poker all day, every day, but that's why I'm a recreational player and not a 'pro'. I assume you know what you're in for, and that you're prepared for it all, because becoming a poker pro is not a decision that people usually make lightly, and not without experiencing years of proven profitability first.

Regards,
    all_aces
  • want to play poker online for a living. I don't like driving far distances to play poker, so I love playing so much it is impossbile to give it up because its even on TV these days. I have concluded that I would like to play online. I am going to work from a small bankroll and small limits using 300x to 350x the big bet. I will use Party Poker or Empire Poker since they are giving away bonus points. Also, should I use NetTeller with my money? I am doing everything to get my game up to par. As I progress through the weeks, I will update the forum with all that I can. I am willing to roast my face in front of the monitor for 8 hours a day if it may sacrafice that, mentally prepared and squeeze-ball equipped.

You aren't ready to 'go pro'. It seems pretty obvious that you've done little to no serious thinking on the subject. You aren't aware of Neteller, bankroll requirements, time requirements, social implications (what do you mean you wont give me a credit card? I'm a professional gambler!), poker site research, BONUSES (which would probably be the easiest way to profitability), burnout issues and if I had to guess right now, I doubt you are a long term winning player.

Stick to recreational play and keep whatever income you are getting.

The poker tables will always be there 5pm->9am to play.
  • Without knowing anything about you, thenewyear, I'd say that BBC is probably right.
  • Sorry to say this but they are right.. you in Way over your head...

There are so many thing you better look at before quitting your job/school or what ever..

Figure out your best game and your win rates for each on an hourly basis..
    Learn money management
    Talk to an accountant about Taxes
    What kind of bank roll do you need before you start?
    what bank roll will you need to cover downswings?

this is the start of things to consider.. There's more to turning pro then saying you want to... It's a life changing choice

Are you sure your ready?
  • There is jsut something about this post that is a bit "fishy".

Red
  • fishy? i should close my legs. haha

bankroll - 300x- 350x big bet
    downswings are covered by the bankroll
    net teller holds the money
    play the hours, not the result to avoid social implications
    set a side a time for poker
    keep closely tracked records
    stress ball

secure a steady stream of income by maintaining a job.
    are there any other concerns?
  • I think just about the only concern I would have is skill. What exactly is your poker skill at. How long have you been playing, what games, limits etc. To be honest, from your posts you dont come across as a player that has much experience.

Red
  • 300-350 is big enough to cover MOST swings.. but that's just your poker fund.. that doesn't cover a sudden car repair or trip to the dentist.
  • dude.

What stakes? the 15-30 or the .50-1.00?

I would first suggest to heed any words from moderator All Aces as +EV, as he is among the sickest players on this forum.

I have known some newbies to step into poker and do very well... This is mainly because they are smart, adapt well and play stupidly hi stakes so when they do well they DO VERY WELL. Usually one of these types gets into poker because they are friends with a professional or connected to the industry someway or are just plain rich and can afford to learn (ie bennifer etc).
    Online poker is a grind if u cannot afford playing the big time, which many of us cannot.
    Poker is a grind playin low limit bs to survive.
    GL to you though.

HG
  • Stepping on the man's dreams like that! I agree his post makes him sound like he isn't ready but who are we to judge? Maybe he's pulling one over on us!!!

Good luck and be cautious. Amy just posted a good link to an article on how to survive in poker. Take a look at it.

Do a lot of research. Look before you leap. Don't quit your day job. And all those good things your dad would tell you.

Please keep us posted on your progress. I'd love to do the exact same thing. So for now, I'm living vicariously through you. Go get 'em!
  • SocietyRed wrote:
    There is jsut something about this post that is a bit "fishy".

Red

With all due respect to the original poster (in case I am wrong) I have to agree with this. Sounds like a regular at RGP trying to get a charge out of those helpful Canadians.
    If by whatever miracle its legit then my apologies, I will defer to what BBC said.
    This just sounds over the top is'all.
  • playing poker online for a living is not fun. I did it for about 2 1/2 months while looking for a job and although I was making money, it was horrible. playing 8 hours a day burns you out bad. I started not even liking poker.
    It is also very stressful, knowing that you have to make money, as it's not just for fun anymore. Taking the bad beats are tougher to handle, but if you can deal with all this I guess you should do it.
    I'll just stick to my 2 or 3 hours a day and be happy.
  • While I may often dream about turning pro, the reality is that I am nowhere near as good as I would need to be, nor do I have the time or money or ambition to get that good.

I play poker because I enjoy the competition mainly. Out thinking opponents, uncovering their weaknesses, getting them to make a bet they would not normally make, being able to tell what they are holding onto...all just one piece of a very large puzzle. And then there's being outsmarted by a better player, having my weaknesses exploited, making me make a bet I wouldn't normally make...all gets very confusing, and that's just the basics of the game. I'm the first one to say that I have alot to learn about this game, but to learn all of this as well as other necessary skills I will need to make a living from it?? Not going to happen.

Mortgage, wife, kid, bills, other passions of mine...all keep my feet on the ground. I play recreationally because I enjoy it. If I had to make a living from it, I doubt I would like it very much anymore, as OSKID eluded too. And to tell you the truth, I doubt I would ever be good enough to enjoy the lifestyle I have now, let alone the one of my dreams.

Honestly, if that is where you believe your calling lies, all the best. Keep us posted on your success. And your failures, because they will be of even more insight to me personally. Good luck.
  • Keep your job and play 3-4 hours a day for one year. Then you can make an informed decision. Don't rush into this because you had a wet dream about the poker you saw on tv. That may sound harsh but I'm honestly rooting for you and wish you all the best of luck.
  • I started playing for a living about a month ago, and I can honestly say that it is the best decision I have ever made. I love my job! You are your own boss, work your own hours, and if you are willing to put the effort in to learn the game well you can make a very good living.

I dont' want to sound negative, but of course poker for a living is not for everyone. I live at home so I don't have rent to pay, which means I am able to cope with the bad days a little easier. I was really bored at my previous job and was planning on a career change at the time anyways.

You have to be certain that you are a winning player before you can do this, and that means putting in a lot of hours and thousands and thousands of hands. You don't have to play ultra high limits to be successful and make decent money, you can play 4-tables of lower limits (21" monitor) and do quite well, as I do.

Good luck to you if you do decide to do this!
  • jester777 wrote:
    I started playing for a living about a month ago, and I can honestly say that it is the best decision I have ever made. I love my job! You are your own boss, work your own hours, and if you are willing to put the effort in to learn the game well you can make a very good living.

I dont' want to sound negative, but of course poker for a living is not for everyone. I live at home so I don't have rent to pay, which means I am able to cope with the bad days a little easier. I was really bored at my previous job and was planning on a career change at the time anyways.

You have to be certain that you are a winning player before you can do this, and that means putting in a lot of hours and thousands and thousands of hands. You don't have to play ultra high limits to be successful and make decent money, you can play 4-tables of lower limits (21" monitor) and do quite well, as I do.

Good luck to you if you do decide to do this!
    hey jester777

what limits do ya play? and how many pokerrooms do u play at?

regards,
    CO :confused:
  • 1/2 and 2/4 most of the time. I'll move up to 3/6 and 5/10 once I am confortable at those limits, but I'm in no rush.

I play at Party, InterPoker (whore the bonus every month), and Gaming Club (until i finish the bonus there)
  • I have a strong feeling he has no idea what he is in for. This is a very hard game to base your income around. Sure playing 3-4 horus a day and bringing a few hungred a week ontop of your day job is nice, but I could see a burnout being a very high possiblity for most players! But good lock!
  • jester777 wrote:
    1/2 and 2/4 most of the time. I'll move up to 3/6 and 5/10 once I am confortable at those limits, but I'm in no rush.

I play at Party, InterPoker (whore the bonus every month), and Gaming Club (until i finish the bonus there)
    thx for the quick response

just 1 more question:smile:

on avg, how many hours are you logging in each week?

thx:biggrin:
  • Play a few thousand hands in the next year that are within your financial reach (bankroll-wise), and then base your decision to go further on your results. Don't just look at dollars won though. Also keep track of hours played. Next, convert your dollars won into dollars won per hour. Then see if you still want to play for a living. If it pays less than a job, or if you have to play more hours than you'd have to work for the same money, I'd get a job. :)

(I work fulltime and play part time btw)