crushing pokerstars .25/.50 tables

I was just at pokerstars trying to hit one of those 'million' hands. I had a look and noticed we were only a couple hundred thousand away (maybe 45 mins or so). Since I hadn't done too well on the short-handed .50/1 high-speed tables as of late (HUGE variance...) I thought I should try the .25/.50 full ring tables.

I had this brilliant idea that I'd play 3 at once to increase my odds of hitting the 996 millionth hand. I wanted to try a lower limit table and play more tables, but there were very few of those tables open and each had huuuuuuuuuuuuuge waiting lists. (Do you think this is a strategy pokerstars is following to get new players to player higher limit tables and generate enough rake to cover the promotion? Hmmm? Hmmm? Hmmm?)

So I started each table with 5 bucks. Total of 15 bucks. I played for the 45 minutes and juuuuuust missed the millionth hand by 300 on one of the tables. So instead of winning 500 bucks, I had to settle for a measely 60 dollar profit. I was totally crushing the tables. Each and every one of them. I had little time to play the players, I was just playing each hand for what it was worth, albeit a bit aggressively, perhaps.

I'm thinking this promotion has brought the little fishes into what I could only describe now as my spawning ground cause I'm sure they feel like they've just been screwed. Guys just kept calling to the river to stare at my nuts. Too funny. One guy cursed me out after I won a number of pots but when I told him I was playing a bunch of tables and just getting lucky with good cards he did say I was playing them well. I dunno. Maybe. Part of it was luck but for sure there were a lot of very bad players.

Just thought I'd share my good fortune with you folks. If you are looking for some prime fishing grounds, head over to low limit tables on pokerstars until this promotion is over.

And have a Merry Christmas!

Comments

• Pokerstars has some of the best players on it. Especially @ 2/4, most know the game well. With 30% flops, its hard to make any money. I made about $150 this week on their 1/2 while losing a bunch on their 2/4. All the effort to get the 500FPP to enter tomorrow 100K freeroll.
  • Found out the same thing you did, for the same reasons. I went back to .25/.50 to sit on more than one table and the whole experience (flop %, level of play) roughly equal to Party's .50/1.00 tables.

I haven't played many hands, so I'm trying to decide if this is a normal trend, or a by-product of the promotion.
  • Zithal wrote:
    I'm trying to decide if this is a normal trend, or a by-product of the promotion.
    Right after the magical hand, the waiting lists dropped right off.

160 BB/hr profit. Wish I could do that on a higher limit table! :D

When you think about it, it makes more sense the low limit tables would be more crowded. I'm guessing the promotion has brought out a lot of new gamblers willing to put up 50 or 100 bucks to take a shot at making a windfall. 500 bucks wouldn't be nearly as significant to the higher stakes gamblers.
  • I have been and continue to make money on the pokerstars 25-50 cent tables.

I never play for big stakes . . just those ring games and $5 SNG's and i have amde a steady profit in the past 4 months.

You need to be careful not to get sucked in to playing to many hands though. I find if I am not careful I am playing Q-6 suited under the gun just casue 6 players are in every hand, and it is only tiny stakes :)

But I am sure you guys are beter than me and don't have to worry about that.

As I type this I am sitting at a 3-6 dollar table trying to get my last 50 fpp's to claim my $125 bonus. For someone who usually plays 25-50 cents this is a real rush.
  • BTW in a funny story to add to my post above the past two days I have played about 200 hands on the 3-6 dollar tables at Pokerstars to get my last couple of hundred FPP's.

Becasue I am such a hardcore micro limit player I have been playing SUPER!!!! tight.

I rasie my pocket Aces Kings and Queens and maybe jacks depending on the other bets, call A-K and A-Q suited and fold everything else. I am playing 15-20 percent of hands.

I have had some decent cards and won like $150!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go figure eh

I think on some level though it really proves the point that tight play does pay.
  • Stalder wrote:
    I think on some level though it really proves the point that tight play does pay.
    Congrats on the great results. I don't have the bankroll yet to support playing at that level. Or the confidence, I fear.

I don't think you'll ever lose (much) money playing tight. The argument is always, Is this the way to make the MOST money. That is the question that has been plaguing mankind since its origins. Ok, maybe not the origins but for a long time.
  • Stalder wrote:
    BTW in a funny story to add to my post above the past two days I have played about 200 hands on the 3-6 dollar tables at Pokerstars to get my last couple of hundred FPP's.

I am beginning to love the 2/4 and the 3/6 tables on Stars. The 6 Handed ones have been proving to be very profitable for me. between $50-$100 (in 2 hours or so) on a good table, Preflop raising with PP and A (paint). I find I have very few bad beats at the 3/6 level, because you can actually get people to fold down the weak draws.