Let's talk RAZZ!

So dabbled into this game today, thinking of learning this as well as omaha, anyone here a expert?

I was doing o.k. the last table I was on, but then it started turning bad. So down in RAZZ and still a lil up in Omaha.

I am more in the dark about razz then omaha, not sure when I should be betting or reraising, I know you have to go for the lowest hand.

Comments

• Played a live HORSE tourney yesterday. Got dealt rolled up KKK ... in Razz, of course. I folded after bringing in (obv), and the dealer showed me the burn cards; would have been dealt the case on 5th street. Of course, I started with 3 cards to a 6 every hand of 7CS-high - or at least so it seemed.

I'm far from an expert, but I find Razz to be the easiest of the HORSE games. Perhaps it's because the average hold'em type player is particularly weak at it, but also because the mathematics are the simplest. Everyone is drawing to the same hand (don't have to be concerned with pairs/trips AND straights AND flushes), and you can tell what's the best hand your opponent could have. It's always fun when your opponent is betting into you while board-locked; e.g. can at best make an 8-7 and you're sitting with a made 7 or better 8.

7CS-high is much tougher to play well, imo. For example, in a live $2/$4 HORSE cash game on Saturday night, an opponent took a huge pot off me when I made a K-high flush in 7CS-high and he showed 6's full. I had no idea why he was raising me on the river because his board wasn't even paired. Apparently he had 66 in the hole, made trips on 4th, and rivered the boat. So sick.
  • Not a good day in anything!

I hear ya inano, got all high cards in razz, all low cards in Omaha:bs:

usual can't win a race in hold em.

It was a royal cup kinda day;)
  • Stop humming . . . :D
  • hmmmmmmmmmm what to play:D

doing 7 card stud as well, can't make money in these can you, always paying a ante........
  • weeeeeee ask and you shall receive, I asked the guy who does videos for indicator products(poker calculators) to do a series for Omaha, razz etc, I just got the 1st video of a series he is doing for 7 card stud.:)
  • I consider myself a pretty solid razz player.
    The key with Razz is you want to be starting with 3 cards to a low to even call or raise the bring in. The high end of your range should be hands like 457, 257, 567 and maybe hands like A92 with a 2 up.

I've played in some of the higher stakes games and a bunch of the micro stakes games as well. One thing that helped my game at all the levels is just opening up a table and watching for a few orbits. If you find a loose game where you'll see 3-4 people calling completed bets on 3rd street sit down and play super tight. Keep playing tight and wait for your best starting hands like A23, A34, A25 etc... It's a super fun game once you learn the basics. Also, hit up youtube and search for razz videos they're very helpful also.
  • I agree with some of what bigmark says, but you really can open up a lot lighter on loose tables. The key is to know your odds and know when you're ahead/behind on later streets. on 3rd street you're never really that far ahead unless you have A23 against a guy with a J up or something. I'll post more later
  • doing ok on 7 card stud on full tilt, just got 4 of a kind:)
  • Just wait until someone rivers bigger Quads on you Philli . . .

lots of fun there . . .
  • Milo wrote: »
    Just wait until someone rivers bigger Quads on you Philli . . .

lots of fun there . . .

lol yup, already been there the other day, fish already rivered me this session, way to chase 3 outs! lol
  • I enjoy razz. In late position people frequently raise with disguised bad hands. Generally it is like stud I guess, if a Q raises and you have JJ u might fold, if a 7 raises and you have 823 or w/e you might fold. of course the same standards of adapting to aggressive or tight or passive players apply. poker is really just about rare patterns and the form of it isn't too important when you understand the principles (in particular the cost of mistakes, both yours and your opponents). The key is to find a game where your opponents are making high cost mistakes.
  • ^
    Im never folding 238 vs a 7 in razz.
  • Played a whole 3 hands in razz on JOKERstars, lost almost half starting bankroll, so I said fuck this shit,lol

Not a good start to today in anything poker wise, thankfully planning to do other things today.:)
  • variance sucks, but its a lot lower in razz.
    Hit a final table in the 2k guarantee yesterday. Shipped (A2)4 against (A2)4 ended up with Q low. busted 7th for $84. Although i made the final table, It was such a bad run. I suppose I was lucky enough to get out-drawn on 4th so i can fold easily, but it happened 4/5 times. ugh.