Royal cup trip reports

Gonna be short and sweet for now, Very tired.

Had a good time today gang, nice meeting all of you, got home safe and sound, but came home to bad news, our family dog had to be put down today, not a big surprise as she was not doing well lately and prob was for the best as it was hard seeing her having problems breathing and she was getting sick alot, they think she might have had some kind of cancer(boy another "family" member lost to cancer for me) but this is another thread I guess.

Sorry to kit who for not able to produce better results, terrible day in the pokers for me. I did better in heads up then what I thought but 1 stinking card away from winning it, sigh!

Too bad I could not meet str8ace and Hobbes, onl;y been 4 years playing poker and knowing Hobbes online;).

I was surprised Steve Kerr was young, I always thought he was a old geezer like comp:D, Milo was taller then I pictured,lol

Comments

• Sorry to hear about the pooch, Philli . . . that really is adding injury to insult.

Another RC rookie, here. Got there early to help set-up, and had no trouble finding the place, or a parking spot, so thanks to moose for directions, etc.

First match for me was Stud, and I basicly yo-yoed my way to fifth, but it was my own damned fault for chasing way too many draws that just would not get there for me. So, one poor performance in the books.
    Onto the LHE portion, where my intention was to play Scharf's starting hands only, and nit my way to a few points for the team. Started to open up a little bit after the first two bust-outs, and what do you know? Combined with a fair bit of run-good, I took it down.
    NLHE went pretty well, finishing fourth. Got my chips in with what I thought was a good spot. I should have thought differently . . . LOL
    HU match was against Trevor, and I will not try to claim anything other than that I employed the standard Ching Hill strategy of "get my chips in while behind, and get there by the river." Only in my case, it happened on the turn.
    So, my personal stats were 2 wins, a 4th, and a 5th. On the social side, it was great to meet Philli, Sharantyr, Waterlooser, and too many other Forum members that I have only known through the interwebz prior to today. Equally nice to see some absent faces from the Ching Hill scene like Acid Joe, Steve, and Dan, and the Kitchener/Cambridge gang like Johnnie, moose, and Kristy. I just wish the drive weren't as long/late because I really would have liked to join in the post Cup drinks with those who were left after clearing out the Hall. Maybe next time I'll do the sensible thing and get a room.
  • Sorry about that news Jeff. Hope you had a good day.
    Thanks for making the trek down from Barrie.
  • Sorry about your dog Geoff. Today was the one year anniversary of our family dog being put down and she is still missed.
  • Royal Cup Bad Beat Report:

1) Win Royal, +100, Happy.

2) Get home to unreg for the Sunday FTOPS that I had satellited into.

3) Realize I won a ticket to the Saturday event and not the Sunday.

4) Blinded out of the FTOPS, $-240.

5) Net for the day, $-140, Not Happy.

6) Fml.
  • I pulled Al out of the hat for the MVP 50/50.

Place Name Team Points
    48 DataMn KitWho 7

Did I mention there were 6 teams of 8 players? It does prove however, that you can host and play ... lots of time to deal with the "paperwork" between games! ;)

P.S. well run AL!
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    Royal Cup Bad Beat Report:

1) Win Royal, +100, Happy.

2) Get home to unreg for the Sunday FTOPS that I had satellited into.

3) Realize I won a ticket to the Saturday event and not the Sunday.

4) Blinded out of the FTOPS, $-240.

5) Net for the day, $-140, Not Happy.

6) Fml.

7) Steam raise continually at next live event.

8) Tilt Allen into chumping at level 3.

9) Donate monster chipstack to Milo, tightening the points race.

10) Win SET.
  • Just did the interwebz checkin for my flight home....3 hour layover in Calgary. Home tonight around 11pm.....trip report to follow asap...perhaps tomorrow after work.

Briefly....thanks everyone for being so welcoming to me. Had a blast...and I will be back!

@}->--

Made it home safe, time to sleep =)
  • Really had a great time!
    Now have faces for Philiivey, Hellmuth's Mole, Sharantyr,
    Got to meet up with many I don't regularly see: Acid Joe, Kristy, Wolfhound, Big E etc on and on............................. so I don't miss anyone

Oh and I shouldn't forget Prophet, I have a new name for him, The Laxative, cus he beat the s@#$%$ out of me Heads up!

Milton Slim
  • Word on the street is that Philli has trouble cutting the deck and hums when he is weak. :D

It was great to play with Lindsey and Tenseven and meet Kristy's dad and also the mysterious Bead. I was imagining some sort of robot built out of old IBM computer parts but she does indeed exist.

Good to play a lot with the Cooks.

Mark was less annoying than usual because he was sober.
    Missed Sandro and mirmir and even QTJen, they are all cuter than g2.

Many people asked about the table toppers but I checked chiptalk and they are sold out.
  • moose wrote: »
    Word on the street is that Philli has trouble cutting the deck and hums when he is weak. :D

It was great to play with Lindsey and Tenseven and meet Kristy's dad and also the mysterious Bead. I was imagining some sort of robot built out of old IBM computer parts but she does indeed exist.

Good to play a lot with the Cooks.

Mark was less annoying than usual because he was sober.

Many people asked about the table toppers but I checked chiptalk and they are sold out.

I gave you guys advanced warning about me being a dealer.^-^ As for the humming, have no clue what that is about:confused:
  • Also, I was with Mark at every table the whole day, including the HU.

I was not drinking Saturday but felt hungover Sunday.

However, this was my 4th Royal, and most fun, so lets call it even.
  • moose wrote: »
    Couldn't agree with you more... just want to add that all of the above are cuter than moose :P

/g2
  • Just wanted to say thanks to Ryan and the gang for having me play with them this past weekend. It was great to see a lot of familer players on my team and it was nice to meet a few new ones.

It was great to see a lot of the KW crowd again. So many were gracious asking about Cam and his family, he really wanted wanted to be there but work prevented him from doing so. Over 2 1/2 years since his stroke and all is well. He seems to have a good grip on his diabetes. His two girls have been given a good bill of heath.

My day got off to a rough start and I ended up missing my Omaha game to help a friend who had been in an accident. Thanks to Al for getting a message to my coach.

Kristy it was a pleasure meeting your father and playing heads up against him in the No Limit game.

Al, great job as always. First class all the way, can't wait to see the twins.

Sandros and friends, you were truly missed, I honestly hope you can find your way back in the fall. There are more then enough people who can take a turn running the event and allow you to enjoy a day of poker and friends.

It was truly great to be part of a team that placed. Didn't think it would happen after 28 points first round. hope you will have me back Ryan.

One more thing, Steve great performance, 4 first places! Truely remarkable!

Prophet 22
  • ~The Adventures of Sharantyr~

A Royal Cup Trip Report

April 22, 2010: Pretty geared up about my proposed trip down east for the tournament to end all tournaments: The Royal Cup VIII_The Ching Hill Massacre. My day started off getting my boy off to school, and packing before my 1030am flight to Toronto. Leave the house around 930am --->airport by 945. Lots of time to check in and get through security in Regina :)

Got to the airport to discover I am boarding with a hockey team...this trip is +ev all over the place ;) Flight is pretty quick and uneventfull as I am seated up front between 2 businessmen from Toronto. Just some good ol small talk as the tv's were not working (they tell us this after I buy the damn earbuds, but they will be good for the trip home too).

Upon arriving at the baggage claim area, I soon discover that only 1 of my bags made the flight, but they tell me they will deliver the other to Kitchener that evening/next morning. What a pain, but atleast it wasn't lost and I didn't have to go chasing it around.

I exit the baggage claim, and was greeted instantly by the hostess with the mostest, and her friend who had graciously agreed to be my airport chauffer, thus lending to no need to rent a car (I would probably still be circling the damn airport if that was the case). Again Kristy, please pass on my thanks to her. I greatly appreciate it.

Highlight: Within 5 mins of meeting up with my girls, I became a part of the "Yes, I have touched Kristy's Ass club". Again more +ev and this is only day 1!

We leave the airport and decide we need coffee and find a Timmies. I stay at the car as the girls go do their thing, and while standing outside having a smoke, strike up converstation with the cabbies waiting for a call. Obviously I had broken some taboo as the looks on the face of Kristy and Carol were like WTF are you doing?? Are you Crazy?? We sip on our coffee and converse a bit more, and get some directions. Get back in the car to hit the highway, and quickly get told..atleast they were nice to you!! Most people can be incredibly rude!! You don't just go around doing that here! This explains the odd looks I kept getting from different store clerks as I engaged in the same small talk while paying. Old habits dontchya know!!

After a lovely dinner at Swiss Chalet (one of the few restaurants we dont have here) and a creative colouring contest of the kids menu which Kristy won for sure, I spent the evening relaxing out at Kristy's parents. Got to meet her parents and daughter, debated military politics with Lee, and shot some games of pool before returning to the hotel for the evening, and my nice king size bed. Didn't realize how tired I was until my head hit the pillow.

April 23: Get a phone call from the front desk first thing in the morning: My bag had been dropped off. Good thing too cuz it was the one that had my jammies! Made some coffee, went and got my bag, then got ready to go out for lunch.

Highlight: Lunch was with Hellmuth's Mole!! I have never been so happy to meet a known Habs fan!

We decided we were going to check out Golf's but upon getting there discovered it was not open for lunch ever. Thats ok tho. Convince Mole to come in with me anyways. We walk right in and wander around a bit and find a girl setting up one of the private dining rooms. I quickly introduced myself and she was more than happy to give me a tour so I could atleast see what it was like compared to the one I work at. I was ofcourse supposed to report back at work what it was like.

I must say it is a beautiful restaurant with an incredible view over the river. Next time I will make sure I get there to try the devine sausages they have to offer :)

Lunch was out on a patio at a sportsbar by the University, and was great. It was so warm and sunny out, and I had the greatest company for my first patio event of the season. Thanks so much for a wonderful lunch Mole. My turn next time! (It was snowing here yesterday morning apparantly).

After lunch, we headed to Kristys, and quickly got involved with playing pool with Lee again a few times before Mole had to leave for the evening.

Highlight: I stuck around and ended up being +$40 playing against Lee a few more games :) More +ev =)

Seriously, it was great to spend that kind of time with you and get to know you. Thank your parents again Kristy for their hospitality and welcoming me into their home, and tell your mom how much she rocks for taking me back to the hotel both nights }->--

April 24, 2010: The day of the Main Event has finally arrived. I must admit while very comfortable throughout my trip so far, I was quite nervous at the prospect of meeting so many people for the first time. My nervousness quickly disappeared though as I began to meet a few different people and mingled a bit. Milo, I don't have shoes that make me tall enough to ever stand next to you, you big brute of a man! Should have come up with some sort of prop bet that could have won me your shirt tho...Next time >:D

My first match of the day was at the PLO sng. This is a game I have played maybe a handfull of times and this was my first live experience. I would like to thank my tablemates, SteveKerr, g2, Ineedanick, Wolffhound, and later tenseven (filling in for Prophet 22^^), for making my first live omaha experience a great one! It was a pleasure playing with, and meeting all of you.

Highlight: Placing 3rd at this talent filled table did make my day. I must say it will be game on for next time tho to Mr. SteveKerr, who, made a bigger full house than mine on a river card no less :) Great game and I look forward to the inevitable rematch! Oh yes, and my sincerest congrats on that MVP award sir, wp... but you won't be keeping it long bwahahahah }->--

My second event was no less exciting, and also a new one for me. I have never really played limit holdem, and didn't like the couple of experiences I did have so far. It did take more than a few tries to get the betting down, but I fortunately was not the only green kid at the table (shoutout to Phillie, who hums when he is weak ;) ). It was great being able to meet more awesome people at this table. Great game and thanks to Phillie, Kanga, Pudge, Prophet 22 and Michelle for going easy on me :P

Highlight: Comming down to heads up in this match with a commanding chip lead vs Michelle. This would be the first of 2 grudge matches between us. The heads up took a bit as she was able to catch a few times, but ultimately I prevailed for the win! GG to you m'lady.(I am sure a Milton boy can pass that along :))

Going into the NLHE sng, Michelle and I, seeing we were at the same table again, had decided right away that it would be her vs I heads up. Again at a talent filled table, it would be amazing to pull that off. I was graced with the presence of Chris (fish), Michelle, OV Alan, Moose and Ineedanick for this particular rumble, and had a most enjoyable experience. There were a couple of tense moments when my dreams of a rematch were almost dashed. In a hand with Fish Chris, where I decided to make a move on him when he had flopped the nuts, I managed to catch a river one time to make the straight as well for a chop, thanks to the shuffling talents of Moose! This was an omen for the future....

Again, involved with the Fish Chris, who raises utg. His stack was not all that scary to me at this point, and I look down to see AJo. I think about it, and reraise him 3x his raise which puts him all in and I get folds all around. He did tank for quite a bit before putting it in with QQ....UGH!!! So, the race is on again...Flop and turn dont help me at all......but it was my good luck charm who had shuffled this hand as well...and lo and behold...yes, A on the river one time for the knockout. Yay me, and gg kind sir.

Highlight: It was a great match, and, as predicted it was Michelle and I heads up for grudge match #2. Again I had a nice amount of chips, but alas, it was her turn this time as I just could not hold against her to save my life. I was more than happy to take second place to her this time for a 1-1 record heads up with her. GG Michelle, and I look forward to Royal Rumble 3 :)

And here we are, down to the final event of the day. I am heads up against none other than Mario. I have only one word to describe this teddybear of a man......

GiiiiiGiiiiiddyyyyyy! }->--

It was ofcourse a great match, and we were quite even for some time. We had some disaggrements about the terms of each others raises but worked it out with well timed folds on both sides ;) During the final pivotal hand he fell into my trap when I checked my turned set of 3's, he fires into me, we get it all in, and I had all his chippies :) Great game kind sir and it was a pleasure to play against the apple of Marks eye.

Highlight: The whole reason I came out was to be able to meet and play against all of you fine people that I have had the pleasure to be in contact with so recently on the forum. Everyone was so kind, and I had an amazing time. It was great to put faces to names, meet all of you, and I would just like to say thanks to everyone who came out, on the forum or not. It was a wonderful and fun day of cards that went, in my opinion just a little too fast!

Beat: I am quite upset that I did not get to see Mark drop his pants once all day...see what sobriety does to tradition? I expect no less than a streak up King Street next time Mark, with pics or it didn't happen ;) Brag, I squeezed on his manbreasts to make up for it a bit :D Purrrrrrrrr.

I would like to add my thanks to the list for Al and everyone who helped manage and put on this event. It was my first Royal Event and it certainly won't be my last.

After all was finished up at the Royal Venue,which is a great space for the event btw (A+), Al and Joe joined me for post royal drinks at the hotel. +ev for me for sure here, but we would have welcomed Milo's read on things too I'm sure. Be forewarned my dear friendly giant, I won't take no for an answer next time ;) Same goes for you tenseven! (There is a standing invitation for any who wish to join in next time. If need be, for those who have to drive back home, we can always find a room to stick you in for the night!)

We had a nice visit, good drinks and great conversation. Al had to head home but it was sweet to be able to sit down with both of you for a bit and chat when it could be a bit more relaxing. Joe and I continued on with our conversation for a while longer, then knowing we both needed to be up early the next day, decide to head up to our rooms

As we are leaving the hotel bar, we have to walk past a contingent of parents who are unwinding after chaperoning teams of young volleyball players. Small talk ensues ofcourse and much joking around. Next thing I know, I am caressing the manbreasts of a very ripped perfect stranger :P The ladies at the table were busting a gut at the initial shock of said man. When invited to join in at their table, we had to politely decline due to the pending early morning...only for the man to attempt to bribe me by lifting his shirt and showing off his goods...ofcourse I got a good feel sans shirt before heading to bed! Sweet dreams me!

April 25, 2010: Brantford Bounty Tournament Day. Thanks to you Mole for making it happen }->--

Mole picks me up and we head out. Get to Brantford just in time, and all goes smoothly upon checking in and getting our seats. By the first break I had a significant stack and had collected a few bounties. I had a guy shove his rivered three of a kind kings (Kc on the river) into my 2nd nut flush, which I rivered, while another shortstack was all in, and it had been checked down. Thank you sir!

Then, 3 handed in mp I had a guy shove into my flopped set of 3's. Low flop, 10 high, with a possible flushdraw, after utg bet out and I reraised her. I was just simply counting my chips, and hadnt' seen her fold to his all in. He gets all upitty and asks me right away if I'm calling...Look right at him with no hesitation at all and said, yes sir, I flopped the set. He got all pissed when he had to roll Q10o, not even a hope for four to the flush and bitched about me slowrolling .... LOL, made my day.

Working our way down to the final table, I collected a couple more bounties. It didn't take long for the first 3/9 to drop from the table. While there are no antes in this tournament, the blinds vs chip count makes it possible to blind out quick. Top 5 got paid, so I asked the table if they wanted to make a deal for the bubble. Everyone agreed to shoot the bubble a bounty chip to create a payout for them :)

At this point this other woman at my table (there are 3 still in) decides to become miss shovey. Blinds are at 1k/2k, and was shoving pretty much every hand. Unable to pick up anything, she did manage to steal a couple of my bb's along with several others. I am at about 5bb when in the bb I see 55. Again she shoves and I finally decide to call her. I have exactly 1k in chips left if I lose, but you gotta go for it sometime. Turns out she has 88 and it holds.

All in next hand with KJo in the sb, with 1 limper and the bb. They both check it down, and I river a straight! Woot...3k now. Within the next couple hands and the blinds now at 2/4k I get my 3k in with A6o against 44 heads up with the blinds folding. Flop doesn't hit. Went runner runner 6's tho for the triple up.

Was able to battle back a bit more, and then a guy got involved with the chipleader and was out in 6th! Yay me!.. Next orbit, I see QQ in the BB. Utg shoves and folds all around to me. Ofcourse I call it and he flips AK. The race is on, and he turns the K. Nh sir. GG me! I was very happy with how I played and more than happy to cash ofcourse and collect my few bounties. Went downstairs and had breakfast before we headed back Kitchener. I was not willing to sit down at limit tables to play cash at all so it was an easy decision :)

Thank you again Mole for a great day :) Next time we will go early and have breakfast at the same time ;)

April 26, 2010: :(Time for me to go. While I am a bit sad, I know I will be back, and excited to see my son. Only the second time I have ever been away from him this long. My flight is at 3:19, so the plan is to leave the hotel just after noon. I checked in over the web and I must say, holy crap does that make your life easier at the airport, and I was able to get a window seat on all 3 flights..woot!! I walk around a bit looking in a few shops before checking out, and manage to find a few things to bring home for my mum and my son. Maple syrup was a must get, and I was able to find some from St.Jacobs..Woot!

Get packed up and check-out. My girls come and wisk me away to the airport, again thank you very much, but not before the must needed stop at Timmies :). Quick departure hugs and goodbyes to prevent having to park anywhere and I was off.

Flight to Calgary went quick, I think I napped a bit, and I got there just in time to get a table at Kelseys and watch the Habs game while having dinner!! Damn I hope you made it there Mole.....how awesome was that win? Caught my connection which left a bit early and landed in Regina around 9:40pm or so.

Highlight: I had an amazing trip, and the most +ev part of it all for me was being able to meet all of you who came out, even if it was just briefly. I again would like to thank everyone for the great welcome and hope to have the chance to see and play with everyone again soon! I also look forward to meeting those who were not able to make it out this time...If you are a Royal Cup Virgin, I urge you to pop your cherry. It is a great time, and definately an awesome day of poker.

Congrats to Ching Hill on the win at Royal Cup VII and until next time.....

Sharantyr

}->--
  • Great trip report..... Glad you had a good time... Us easterners are not so bad after all, are we? :)
  • Outstanding trip report, glad you had a good time. Hopefully I get to meet you next time you are here.
    Are you sure that was Hellmuth's Mole you were with? I've known him for years, introduced him to the Forum and he hasn't taken me out for lunch or to Brantford for gambling YET.
  • Awesome report . . . glad you had a good time.
  • Gotta like it. She's a prairie girl..