Resurrection of the Royal Cup VIII

With the recent withdrawal of our beloved Sandro from the organizing of the Royal Cup due to some unfortunate circumstances which will NOT be discussed here I have created and stickied this thread to discuss where we go from here. DataMn, who previously had been providing chips/cards, etc for these events has gratiously offered his services to spearhead this. If he'll have me I would like to assist in organizing/running, etc...
Any negative or demeaning posts in this thread will be deleted forthwith.... Keep this positive. I think the structure will likely remain the same as none of us has the experience that Sandro has in running this and why monkey with success..
Volunteers ae very welcome, and we expect all captains to keep a firm hand on their teams in all respects.

I'm going to lock the other Royal Cup VIII thread for now and we'll use this one until we determine a location/date/etc.

Comments

• Who books the hall? Is it available without Sandro?
  • moose wrote: »
    Who books the hall? Is it available without Sandro?

Not sure yet, I believe that Sandro said he was holding it until Mon and Al is aware. If it doesn't work out we'll find a location... In a pinch I can still get the original Milton location.
  • I'll help in any way I can do keep this thing running.

I think the 1st thing is to find 2 more teams. Next is secure the venue for future Cups. After that we can discuss any possible changes to the Cup.
  • Jeff, and through you to Al, my offer to Sandro stands . . .

Name the time and place, and I will be there with Timmie's enough for all. I will be first on site to help set-up, and last to leave after cleaning up, if it helps make this happen. Just say the word . . . :-X

Addendum - My Cube is surprisingly spacious for transport of certain items should that be required. Tables are about the only thing that won't fit.
  • Anything I can do, just ask
  • compuease wrote: »
    With the recent withdrawal of our beloved Sandro from the organizing of the Royal Cup due to some unfortunate circumstances which will NOT be discussed here I have created and stickied this thread to discuss where we go from here. DataMn, who previously had been providing chips/cards, etc for these events has gratiously offered his services to spearhead this. If he'll have me I would like to assist in organizing/running, etc...
    Any negative or demeaning posts in this thread will be deleted forthwith.... Keep this positive. I think the structure will likely remain the same as none of us has the experience that Sandro has in running this and why monkey with success..
    Volunteers ae very welcome, and we expect all captains to keep a firm hand on their teams in all respects.

I'm going to lock the other Royal Cup VIII thread for now and we'll use this one until we determine a location/date/etc.

Good luck guys you should be fine. I mainly kept the structure the same for 9 or 10 teams if you get 8 or 7 you can probably add a min or 2 to each blind level in the events.
    compuease wrote: »
    Not sure yet, I believe that Sandro said he was holding it until Mon and Al is aware. If it doesn't work out we'll find a location... In a pinch I can still get the original Milton location.

Yes still holding the venue. .
    JohnnieH wrote: »
    I'll help in any way I can do keep this thing running.

I think the 1st thing is to find 2 more teams. Next is secure the venue for future Cups. After that we can discuss any possible changes to the Cup.

You can contact Quaine he may put in a team, he is on vacation I believe.
  • Ok, looks like we're a go as long as we can get enough teams, my feeling is we need at least 8 to make it viable. DataMn Al will run the day of with assistance from a couple of others of us. Now we will need start up volunteers, signup volunteers, cleanup volunteers, etc so let us know if you can give some time during the event. Can all of the other captains please confirm in the team thread that you are a go. Anyone with any ideas for another couple of teams?
  • I wonder how many forumers are out there with no idea of what the Royal Cup is and how great a day of poker it is. Maybe it you should post a description of the format and put out a call to get more people involved. I am thinking about people like Wetts. Maybe you could see if people from the Orangeville Poker League would be interested in putting in a team. I also think that there are a group of young players starting to come out to Buzzzard's tournament and Bristol (Chrisrow and Ram for example) that might be interested in putting a team together if they knew what the Royal Cup was all about.
  • I didn't realize until now that there is no sticky thread in this section describing what the Royal Cup is all about. With Jeff's permission, I can write up a summary of the event and have him make it a sticky for all to see.

Wetts has participated in the past couple of events with the Ching Hill team, and he will be there for this one as well. Steve and Greg from Orangeville have had a tough time getting a team together and both have requested to participate on Ching Hill as well, but I'm not sure about Curtis's group, not even sure he's aware of this event. He might be able to put a team together.

I'm sure we can get eight teams to participate again, and hopefully a full ten.
  • STR82ACE wrote: »
    I didn't realize until now that there is no sticky thread in this section describing what the Royal Cup is all about. With Jeff's permission, I can write up a summary of the event and have him make it a sticky for all to see.

Go for it, although Sandro's invite and announcement has the specifics, perhaps a post soliciting more teams and talking about how much fun it is will generate some more interest. You post it and I'll sticky it...
  • pokerdro wrote: »
    if you get 8 or 7 you can probably add a min or 2 to each blind level in the events.

:-X

I have an idea on how to get some butts in the seats, but they are argumentative bar players..are we that desperate?
  • Sorry, never read the whole OP before making my post.
  • Are you aiming to pull this off on the same date?
  • Shtebs wrote: »
    Are you aiming to pull this off on the same date?
    Yes, same date, same place... Venue being confirmed in the next couple of days. DataMn is doing that with Pokerdro...

Lets firm up all the teams and get it on! However if we do get the 2nd team from Milton you guys (and girls) are battling for third...
  • AL and Jeff, if you need anything from me, let me know, even if I can't find a team to play on I would be happy to help with anything!

Brent
  • AL and Jeff, if you need anything from me, let me know, even if I can't find a team to play on I would be happy to help with anything!

Brent

Thanks Brent, I, and I'm sure Al, appreciate your offer. Looks like we have quite a few volunteers so we should collectively be able to pull this off.. Hopefully Al will have the venue confirmed shortly. I'm sure you will have a team to play on. How about Cam, hows he doing? Is he likely to play?
  • Cam is doing fine, don't know about his schedule. I am in Florida right now just getting back from a cruise and am using the hotel computer to check email. Got a message from Sandros saying he was quittin, not really sure what happened sent him an email, hopefully I hear back. Flight leaves in 7 hours, I will be in touch.

Brent
  • FIsh are still in, please keep us on the list. As previously offered, name it and it is done boys, need someone there early for signup, im there. Need help with organizing i am there, just dont ask me to cook, nobody deserves that punishment. available to help with cleanup as well.
  • OK, Here's the way I see things going...

Any CONSTRUCTIVE feedback is welcome.

- The times will be the same as was posted before. We will look at adjusting the times in the future.
    - I will handle the directors calls/organization on the day.
    - I will bring all of the chips/cards, other than if each team captain can bring 1 or 2 decks to help out that would be great.
    - Each captain will be responsible for collecting the $400 from their players and giving it to me.

WHAT I WILL NEED PEOPLE TO VOLUNTEER FOR
    ===================================

- g2 is handling the spreadsheets. (I will do it as a backup if something happend to g2).
    - 1 or 2 players to handle signup for the side pots.
    - Restacking the chips after each round.
    - 1 or 2 more laptops with Tournament Clock software on it (Tournament Director preferred, but we could work with something else).
    - Takedown of the chips at the end of day (including helping me carry them back to the car)
    - Garbage/other cleanup at end of day

- 1 or 2 players to babysit Dr Tyore
    - 3 or 4 players to help with getting all of the Rocks' walkers up to the playing level ;-)

Al
  • Oh right!

Little notice - I'll be dry this time round as I'm on a sobriety bet!! So, this means I can help out with setup and everything - but I'm supposed to be at a stag and doe that night in Guelph, so post-game may be tricky depending on the ending. I'll help with setup / signup if you'd like

Mark
  • Al, you are the greatest... Will put in some comments when I get back in.... I'm glad we're a go, and I assume the venue is confirmed... That walker comment made me spit my drink on a clients keyboard.... well done! However there is some truth to it.. :( And maybe we should spot everyone else 50 pts to make it a match?
  • I will help with side bets and the physical set up and tear down.

If the people who are planning to play the side bets would bring change, that would help greatly.

Suggestion: Label the tables #s 1 through 8 and have multiple copies of the seating assignments at each table so each game/round organized more efficiently. It seems like we waste an hour by running around to find the correct table and seat.
  • Good suggestion Johnnie,

I am actually going to make little handouts too for each player outlining where they are for each round. They should be able to carry it in their pocket/wallet and easily find where they are all day.

I know some people will lose them right away, but it is an attempt.

Oh.. Alphabetical posting lists too.
  • Looks like you guys have most of this well under control. I'll help wherever needed. Just ask when I get there.

Except for the walkers...those bastards can fall and break their necks for all I care.
  • I was a grunt before, I can do it again. I'll need the address for the venue, but I can be there for set-up, and tear down. Al, you need a chip-runner (or whatever) you got 'im.
  • I am sending the information to AL, I am not sure how AL is informing new players but if everyone could please keep the venue information off the main boards that would be great.
  • Will do Sandro.

I will rely on the captains to inform people - whether in person or by email but NOT on the forum.
  • Umm. If you win your table you should auto be responsible for setting up the chips for the next match.
  • Thats the sort of logic that got you where you are today, Darryl . . .

Now where the #$^$&@ are my packages, dammit.
  • Due to an error at the origin, they will be delayed.