Does the "nut flush" include straight-flushes?

I have recently entered into a bet with a longtime friend and regular player for $1000.00 which I was hoping you could help me out on. The bet arose from a hand that played out which ended with one player holding an ace high flush and another a straight flush. The player with the ace high flush announced “nut flush” at the end of the hand and the other player then revealed the straight-flush winning the hand. I cannot recall or not if the straight-flush was the nut straight flush or not but it shouldn’t matter either way. The issue that came out of this particular hand was whether the player with the ace-high was incorrect in announcing he had the “nut flush” due to the fact that he was beat by a straight flush. My position on this is that there is a clear difference between having the “nut flush” and having the “nut straight-flush” or any straight flush for that matter. I believe that each hand category has a “nut”. Such as the “nut straight” or “nut full-house” and that the “nut flush” is simply the highest possible hand in that category. Through my research I have found various sources that back up my position such as Wikepedia’s definition of the “nut hand”:

Terms such as "nut flush" or "nut full house" may be used to refer to the strongest hand possible in a particular category, even though it may not be the nut hand overall. For example, a pair of aces with the above board could be called the "nut full house", even though there are two higher (but very unlikely) hands possible. Terms such as "second-nut flush" and "third-nut straight" are also applicable. The straight A-K-Q-J-T and any highest-possible flush is also often referred to as the nut flush/straight, regardless of any pairs/other threats on board.

Spam link removed by moderator, nice try.

Nut Flush: holding the best possible flush, generally an Ace high flush is considered the Nut Flush, but a straight flush beats a Nut Flush and can be considered the best possible flush hand.

And finally, nolimit-poker.net ’s definition:

Nut Flush - Player has the highest flush possible. Example: (Player has A, 5 of hearts and the board shows 2,7,J of hearts)

This bet has been going on now for over a month without either of us conceding. I have had numerous local players agree with my opinion and he has few that agree with him. According to his logic the “nut flush” could also be a royal flush which I believe is just ridiculous. A flush is five cards of the same suit that are not in sequential order. Therefore the “nut flush” would be the highest possible hand under than context. A straight flush is five cards of the same suit that are also sequential. I believe that by announcing a straight-flush as a “nut flush” is misleading and would be borderline slow-rolling in most circles and I would like to have a pro’s opinion on the topic. Can one player hold the “nut flush” and be beaten by a player holding a straight flush? Thanks for your help with this. I’m looking forward to finally ending this bet either way.

Comments

• you really took all that time for that?
  • for a 1k bet...ummm yeah
  • Nut Flush == Best Flush... not necessarily the winning hand....

eg... Ah3c on a 7h8h9h2h2s board....

2c2d beats it..

so does 5h6h

Best Flush can be beaten by a straight flush etc...

ThJh==Stone cold Imortal nuts == Best possible hand.

You've won the bet.
    Get your money.
  • Thanks... i need some more opinions before claiming victory. Please post guys.
  • OKOK.

Nut flush is the best possible nonsequential flush hand.

Straight flush is an entirely different category.

Make sure the hookers you buy with your monies are nice.

IMO...
  • And don't forget a public washroom flush always beats a dump in the woods with a leaf wipe.
  • Probably seen this situation twice; would think the nut SF is different than the nut flush.

...For the kiddies............For the pet lovers..............Can't forget KC :)
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    Grammar_Natzee__Wall_O___Text_by_dinyctis.jpg

I keep looking for a "return" key on my terminal . . . must be a Mac thing, huh?

This pedantic moment has been brought to you by the letters "F" and "U", and the number "2".
  • can't believe this is even a debate.

"nut flush" obviously refers to the best possible flush and has nothing to do with straight flushes or the the nut straight flush. grats on your $1000.
  • trigs wrote: »
    can't believe this is even a debate.

"nut flush" obviously refers to the best possible flush and has nothing to do with straight flushes or the the nut straight flush. grats on your $1000.

+1 to that
  • I nut-flushed your mother.
  • syphilaids wrote: »
    I nut-flushed your mother.

Hall of fame please.

BEST.POST.EVER.
  • Kristy_Sea wrote: »
    Hall of fame please.

BEST.POST.EVER.

i really think there should a thread for post of the year votes and what not.
  • kristy_sea wrote: »
    hall of fame please.

Best.post.ever.

ha. Ty.
  • I think that a straight flush is in it's own category as it is possible for 2 players to have a straight flush in one hand. Nut flush to me would be Ace high non straight.
  • The nut flush refers to the best possible flush which is a straight flush if a straight flush is possible.
  • herschelw wrote: »
    The nut flush refers to the best possible flush which is a straight flush if a straight flush is possible.

so you resurrected an old thread to prove that you don't know what you're talking about...
  • So nut straight is a straight flush too, meaning that a nut flush doesnt always beat a nut straight, sometimes they can tie...