Playing Re-Buys with no-rebuy and no add-on

Is this just a move that puts you at a disadvantage and/or an arrogant view that you can outplay people enough to make up the difference of the add-on and re-buys.

Just wondering if making every effort to avoid putting more money should be taken or are you just restricting yourself.

Comments

• I've been giving this a lot of thought lately too.

One thing is I think it's a little silly not to take the add-on, especially when it's more chips for the same great low price.

If your stack is massive, maybe its not worth it. If your stack is tiny, maybe your down and out and its a waste of money. But anywhere in between - I think its good value.

As for rebuys, trying to avoid them would be a good idea - the less money you put in, the less you lose. If you win the tourny without rebuys, it's just that much more profitable.

I see rebuys as a security blanket for loose early play. I don't rebuy immediatley and try to go through without rebuying.

I should note; I'm very new to rebuy tournaments, so I could be horibly mistaken about this strategy.
  • I've never played in a re-buy but it seems to me the re-buy gives you a chance to play a bit more aggressively to build up a huge stack by the end of the re-buy period. If you play tight, guys willing to re-buy will be bluffing you out (or out-drawing you) like crazy.

If I had a stack anything less than say 5x the add-on chips, I'd add-on. You've got to keep competitive since most others will re-buy. If you have a huge stack, maybe the add-on isn't as big a factor and you can save a few bucks.

The way I see it, set a budget for X re-buys and an add-on. Adjust your play according to the budget.

Check out the guys who are winning these tourneys. What are they doing? Does anyone have the quick answer?
  • If I'm playing at pstars I always rebuy to 3000 right off the start. These chips are like compound interest. Also, If I bust out early I'm done. (I won't rebuy)

Early on I play very tight and aggressive. I try to avoid multiway pots and I'm waiting for a premium hand that I can make someone a dog in. If i double up once in the first hour I'm very satisfied.

As for add-ons it depends on my table. If I feel I have some tough competition I will pay for some more ammo. If I don't feel it's necessary I won't bother.

Hope that helps.
  • Also keep an eye on the time, not only for the sake of your own rebuy considerations, but for others. I'll often remind everyone in the chat when we're entering the last few minutes.

why? I am sometimes able to identify players with 1600-1700 chips who are looking to drop them. They want to hit 1500 so they can rebuy up to 3000. Take their chips, they're trying to give it to you.

Yes, people actually do this. :)