playing 2 tables: observation.

Anyone here play 2 tables @ the same time and notice that the hand you have been dealt at table 1 would be the nuts (or at least a very likely winner) for the board on table two?

I know it's all random and that stuff, but it's just uncanny how often it happens to me...just one example with a hand about an hour ago

I was dealt 94 @ table 1 (playing .50-1 NL) just as the other table board came up 449.

I have never mentioned this aloud before until last week when i was playing with friends. I mentioned it, and a few guys were quick to pipe out "yes, oh my god, all the time!"

Comments

• That makes sense though, as you are in effect adding "extra" cards to the deck on the second table. There are still 4 of each card on the other table, where as there are only 3 more of each on your primary one, since you hold one of each. This makes it more likely for your cards to come up on the secondary table than the primary.
  • Good point.

Also, this is probably one of those "you'll remember more when bad things happen" things.

You tend to remember bad beats must more than the times you are not drawn out on. In fact, people can even develop irrational thoughts because of this, like "I always lose with pocket Aces" or "I shouldn't play low limit becase of all the suckouts". Most players pretty much expect to win with Aces, and expect to beat the snot out of 9 low limit fish. The idea that when something expected (or probable) does happen, you hardly notice, and when it doesn't, it gets your attention.

How many bad beats do you remember compared to the times where the best hand held up? Or for that matter, how many good *plays* do you remember, regardless of the outcome?

ScottyZ
  • you guys take all the fun out of being suspicious with your common sense!
  • sloth wrote:
    you guys take all the fun out of being suspicious with your common sense!

hah.. logic is overrated.. i'd stick to the conspiracy theory :D
  • sloth wrote:
    you guys take all the fun out of being suspicious with your common sense!

hah.. logic is overrated.. i'd stick to the conspiracy theory

yeah... that's what they WANT you to think....
  • What's the highest number of concurrent tables that anyone has been able to play. I tried to play 3 tables at once, and it just all fell apart in my head. I couldn't keep the tables straight, and I was getting creamed.
  • Most I've ever played is 2, and the only reason I'll play 2 tables is if I'm moving to another table for some reason and finishing out my free hands at the old table.

ScottyZ
  • I find it harder to play more than 2 of the same type... But I will often play a sit-n-go or tournament and a ring holdem game.. (and perhaps some micro-limit 7card stud) at the same time.

hork.
  • SupaMuncher wrote:

What's the highest number of concurrent tables that anyone has been able to play. I tried to play 3 tables at once, and it just all fell apart in my head. I couldn't keep the tables straight, and I was getting creamed.

I have played 4 tables at once on IntertopsPoker (a party poker skin ).

Why would I do such an insane thing, there was a $5000 freeroll the next day that required 500 raked hands to be eligible (I had 100 before the night began). The freeroll had under 100 people registered so the payout was pretty good. I played for four hours that night most of the time with three tables but for the last hour I played four. Total hands for the four hours = 645 of which approx 450 were raked. And the bonus is I was up overall for the night. They were only .50/1.00 dollar tables but i made $60 bucks. Unfortunately I suffered some bad beats in the freeroll and finished 78th out of 110. :(
  • Hork42 wrote:
    a sit-n-go or tournament
    Alright, I haven't asked yet, because I was embarassed, but here I go...
    What's a sit-n-go tournament, and which online client offers them? Are they just small, NL hold'em tournaments?
  • A sit-n-go tournament is a small (usually one table, but can also be 2 or 3 tables) online tournament which begins as soon as enough people register for it. There are various buy-ins, ranging from $5+$0.50 to $300+$20 at PokerStars. And you get your choice of formats. NL holdem is most popular, but you can play anything from Limit holdem to Omaha high to 7 card stud hi/lo if you feel like it.

These are pretty commonly available the online sites. I know for certain that PokerStars and PartyPoker have sit-n-go's (and probably lots of other sites have them too).

I like the one table sit-n-go's in particular because they're a great way to practise short-handed tournament play.

ScottyZ
  • Ultimate Bet has them too... For real money, Ultimate points, and Play Chips. I find that the UB blinds take so long to escalate, so their sit-n-gos take a long time to finish. Party is my favourite right now, their levels are quick. The only thing is for the $5 table, it's a $1 fee. Compared to Pokerstars where it is $5+.50.

Another note - Pokerstars is only a 9 player table - the other sites are 10... so the prizes are a little lower.

hork.
  • Ahh...so I do know what they are. Just didn't know that they were called Sit-N-Go's.

Sweet.
  • i always play 2...gives me a bit more self control on playing marginal hands pre flop it seems...and cuts down on boredom....unless the frequency of the flashing person under the gun is a tell