Calling Tech Support!

Okay, I don't even know if this is possible but I figured if anyone knows how to do it, it will be someone on this forum (Garro are you out there??)

So, let's say I work at a job (nightwatchman, for instance) where I occasionally ;) have a little bit of free time at work with no manager watching over me with beedy little eyes :frown: .....and let's say I would like to play poker online to pass the time..... :D ...... What do I need to do?

Assume that although my company provides us with internet access, using the employer's machine to play is not an option (downloading the software would violate the company policy, and to speak in poker parlance - it would be a rather glaring TELL). So, do I have any options? I'm thinking wireless something-or-other....(I'm WAY out of my element here - forgive me if I say something comically stupid or ignorant). What would I need - i.e. a laptop with BLINGBLING etc. ?? Give it to me straight.

Thanks,

NH

Comments

• Try pokerroom.com.

I believe there's an option to play poker without having to download a client. (This is how MAC users play there)

The only issues you'd then have is if pokerroom.com is blocked by your company's firewall.
  • If you aren't allowed to download software to your work machine, I would say that playing poker over their network and using their ISP line would also violate company policy. Not too mention playing a game while 'working'.

A good rule: if you have to look over your shoulder, don't do it.
  • djw wrote:
    I would say that playing poker over their network and using their ISP line would also violate company policy. .

Agreed...so what I was trying to get at is.....is there a way to play that does not involve THEIR network or THEIR ISP line and if there is, what kind of toys/equipment would be needed.
    djw wrote:
    Not too mention playing a game while 'working'.

This was the idea behind my comment about it being a glaring TELL....if they see me doing it, they have to acknowledge it and then do something about it....but what they don't know won't hurt them. Without getting into details, think of my job as that of an emergency room doctor....things can get crazy busy and they can be graveyard quiet....I assure you I will keep my playing to the times when things are slow.

Unless of course I make the final table of some big MTT, and then the patients will have to wait :tongue:
  • u can play on pacific as well through java..... i think pokerroom has it as well..... i cant do a whole lot at my workstation (doing tech support for ehh-pee) due to company proxys (Stream international) however sometimes we find ways around the proxys (ie. proxyhoppers, sites to bypass) and find ways to use msn and aim chat programs and such.....just takes somethinking......

now for your poker without going through their isp......prob near impossible, through their network again, near impossible....your obviously going to play from your work pc and even if u play java-wise on pokerroom or pacific, they can still track your usage of what sites you've been to (clear cache/cookies/history(which is only good if they dont have a IT dept to look into such issues)) but i dont know how deep they would look into this issue......in my opinion, the reward is not worth the risk....

Pigga
  • there is a way if you dont want to use thier ISP, but it will cost you

i'd reccomend the treo650(http://web.palmone.com/products/smartphones/treo650/index.jhtml;jsessionid=0ZBEE0NOXEWOJQFIAE1CFE4AVAATKIV0) or some other similar handheld device with full internet capabilities.
    subscribe to the service for unlimited internet use, and use one of the sites thats been reccomended (i dont think youd be able to download the software, altoguh its possible)

Agreed...so what I was trying to get at is.....is there a way to play that does not involve THEIR network or THEIR ISP line and if there is, what kind of toys/equipment would be needed.

This was the idea behind my comment about it being a glaring TELL....if they see me doing it, they have to acknowledge it and then do something about it....but what they don't know won't hurt them. Without getting into details, think of my job as that of an emergency room doctor....things can get crazy busy and they can be graveyard quiet....I assure you I will keep my playing to the times when things are slow.

Unless of course I make the final table of some big MTT, and then the patients will have to wait :tongue:
  • Without going through the company network your choices are limited. If you have a phone jack near your workstation you could dialup to your local ISP with your own laptop. Dialup sucks but it would be untraceable from your company techs (unless they keep trying to call you and its mysteriously busy all the time). Your only other hope is to know someone within range that has a wireless router that reaches where you are (I mean this would pretty much need to be next door). If you can see them with the wireless card in your laptop you could use their connection. I think your a 1000000/1 dog to hitting that jackpot.
    As a network admin myself I strongly urge you not to use the company connection. It is trivial for them to monitor what you are doing. Being there at night your usage would be sticking out like a sore thumb on any report.

Boss: Johnson, what the hell is this red bar on this bandwidth usage report from midnight to 8:00 am?

Tec Johnson: Dunno boss, but the proxy report has a lot of hits to "The Pokeroom?"

Boss: Who the hell works the night shift here?

Uh oh... :frown:
  • I think all you guys are looking at this the wrong way. How would I go about this? My suggestion would be to set up a VPN on your home computer. Then you could open up a VPN through your work and log in to any poker room you have installed on your home. VPN = Virtual Private Network. Same idea as PCanywhere, etc.
  • Astroboy wrote:
    I think all you guys are looking at this the wrong way. How would I go about this? My suggestion would be to set up a VPN on your home computer. Then you could open up a VPN through your work and log in to any poker room you have installed on your home. VPN = Virtual Private Network. Same idea as PCanywhere, etc.

And how are you accessing said VPN? Using work resources (aka Internet line)? I think you have missed a critical point. :)

Besides a VPN only connects one network to another (in your example, one client machine to your home network). If you wanted to run poker software from your home machine through that connection, your client machine (the one at work) would need to connect to the VPN (thereby connecting to your home network), and then make a second connection to your machine via remote desktop (pcanywhere, terminal services, VNC etc) in order to run software from your home machine.

That seems pretty convoluted - especially since nobody has come up with a viable solution to get on the Internet in the first place (assuming you cannot use the company's line). Also I can tell you right now that if you tried to use a Dial Up ISP, and then connect to a VPN server, the amount of bandwidth used for the encryption would pretty much take up everything you had. Nevermind opening up a remote desktop.
  • djw wrote:
    And how are you accessing said VPN? Using work resources (aka Internet line)? I think you have missed a critical point. :)

Sorry....the initial post didn't say anything about not using the work ISP and I guess I missed the reply. But I think remote desktop would still work because the IT would only be able to trace to his home ISP. If you want to go the wireless route, you'd need a device with WiFi. Also it depends if the AP you sniff out is protected by WEP or WPA. If it is protected by a WEP key, there are ways to crack a WEP dump in a couple minutes. WPA is near impossible because it the frame encryption packets are different every broadcast.
  • well it all come down to:
    If your job interfer with your poker... change your job :D

Gide
  • I think remote desktop or a program like VNC (which lets you display the screen of another computer) are the best options.

for this to work well though you would need to have a highspeed connection on your home computer, and if you are using DSL you'll need to get a virtual fixed address (dyndns.com is a good source)

Best part of a program like VNC, is that it also has a web based interface if you are not permiited to install any software on your office computer, and if your company blocks ports, you can set it up on your home computer to be on port 80, so basicly you can totally hide it as web traffic.

The key is to have a highspeed connection on both ends, otherwise you'll have a lag, and then don't blame anyone if your Quad eights, time out and fold
  • I appreciate all of the feedback and the concern expressed by so many about me getting in hot water if the boss/IT gurus catch me....lol.

I assure you, the boss wouldn't be so bitter about what I was up to ... it is more an issue of network security...we can't download anything, work-related or otherwise, without someone writing a white paper on it. I don't want to get gassed for causing my company's computers to get the ebola virus.

BUt once again, many thanks. I now know what needs to be done.....
    I'm going to kidnap a computer science student from the U of Waterloo and let him translate all of your posts into english ;)

We will revisit this one again, sometime in the not-too-distant-future.
  • All internet access through a company server out to the internet is logged, period. What each IT department does with this info is different in each company. If you'd like to keep your job, go with a laptop and a wireless network interface. Maybe try borrowing a loaner and see if you can bounce a free signal in your area. Lots of larger cities have enough free wireless net access to bounce off. lol (word of caution: don't ever do money transactions (deposit) while wireless) Because there are even smarter geeks who troll the airwaves searching for such things. lol