great finishes

whats the most youve ever taken from one tournment??

i won $600 in a MTT at stars, and $1000 at a 10man $200 SNG

Comments

• My best PokerStars tournament finishes are:

3rd in $20 PL holdem - $660

4th in $20 rebuy NL holdem - $2400
  • I just won the $30 LH for $1,600!

My best so far though was the Stars $200 NL sunday for 21st and $1,800
  • earlier today 4th in 7.5k guar. $25 + $1 MTT - $606
  • $650 (2x) for wpt qualifier tourneys ($3+R) but its $W since i unreg'd but ill count it as $650 as thats how much the seats go for :)

not really a huge money win, but the 2nd or 3rd 11+R i played in, i got 31st/1021.......got $122 and some cents.....didnt care about money for this one,just overall happy with my play/performance in it, suprised i outlasted so many people......more so a morale booster at that time :D
  • 11,000 i won a 500 person 100+( online nl tournament.....in real life i won 10k in regina and 6k in edmonton for omaha and limit.
  • You stole my old avatar, too!
  • hows that.
  • $890 for second place in a $10 re-buy tournament.
    $125 for first place in a freeroll.

I'm more of a cash games or SNG player, rather than big tourneys.
  • Most I've ever won was $500 in a 20 man live tourney.

I've won a few SnG's on-line but nothing of substantial value. I just cant seem to win a big MTT on-line. I've been playing mostly $5 and $10 tourneys but can't get into the big money.

Which brings me to a question....

Does anyone know if its better to play tourneys with higher limits? I find at the $5-$10 range, it's Maniac city!! Half the time guys (and ladies) are check-raising ALL-IN And it's not just one person at the table, its usually a few of them.

Here is a typical situation, it happened to me last night....

Sat for about 30 minutes into the tourney and did not play a hand, was getting absolutley nothing. Got tired of waiting and went in on a hand with K-8, basically called to the river with two guys (on a pair of 8's) then bluffed them both of the pot when a scare card came on the river(possible straight)

Waited another 1/2 hour, with all the same J7,Q4,92,82,etc. Its funny because no one was really getting any cards, the pots were being taken down with cards like K6,A4,K8.....it was brutal!

Anyway, very first hand after the break and I'm dealt A-K soooted in the BB, everyone limps in as usual and I raise 3X the BB, most fold, then I get reraised to 700?? If I call then I'll only have about $150 in chips. This is the first good hand I've had so I reraise him all in. He calls me and turns over
    A-9 sooted. I get drawn out on the turn when he made a flush :banghead:

WTF? Anyway, did I play that wrong? I mean even though I had him beat pre-flop should I have reraised him all in or just called, leaving me with a least some chips?

This seems to be a big flaw in my tournament play. Busting myself out with All-ins!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Suggestions, opinions, and Kicks in the Ass are appreciated :rolleyes:
  • I've been playing mostly $5 and $10 tourneys but can't get into the big money.

Which brings me to a question....

Does anyone know if its better to play tourneys with higher limits? I find at the $5-$10 range, it's Maniac city!!

some stiffer competition in the higher buyins but same stupid plays......i find usually no difference if i play a $5 MTT or a $20 MTT, only difference is, there might be 100 less ppl in the $20 MTT....(both averaging 1000 or so) so its no difference, ill usually stay away from playing any tourney w/ over 1000 ppl by 5 mins left to register, its just a waste of time usually... (imo)
    first hand after the break and I'm dealt A-K soooted in the BB, everyone limps in as usual and I raise 3X the BB, most fold, then I get reraised to 700?? If I call then I'll only have about $150 in chips. This is the first good hand I've had so I reraise him all in. He calls me and turns over
    A-9 sooted. I get drawn out on the turn when he made a flush :banghead:
    WTF? Anyway, did I play that wrong? I mean even though I had him beat pre-flop should I have reraised him all in or just called, leaving me with a least some chips?

here, if every1 limped in, i would of probably pushed all in right away, if his re-raise only made it 700 total, i assume u had about 1500-2000 in chips, and with every1 limping in (prob 1-2 folds along the way) theres still probably 500-600 in the pot already? you cant call and bet ur remaining 150 on the flop, he wont fold to that.....so yes, i would of my self re-raised ur remaining chips thinking i had the best hand but i would of raised all in to take the 600 or so pot there, hoping for a call thinking a race or i was way ahead. its just tough luck that he hit a flush, im assuming otherwise no 9/k came and you and your a huge favorite....unfortunately fish suckout and get lucky sometime tough break. i would of raised more than 3x BB though if 'everyone' limped in, as i normally would if more than 3 ppl are involved w/ the hand already, i would make a 6-7x BB raise (unless it committed more than half my stack,i'd push all in),

just my 2 cents
    hope this helps a bit

Pigga
  • wrote:
    im assuming otherwise no 9/k came and you and your a huge favorite....
    Well, it turns out that the flop dropped a King, but also 2 spades. I'm thinking at that time, had I not went all in pre-flop, I would have pushed the rest of them in on the flop.

I'm quite certain I would have been called anyway though!

Until next time......
  • Check out these 3 finshes in the past 3 days, I just started focusing on playing multis instead of cash games, so far so good

PokerStars Tournament #3310303, No Limit Hold'em
    Buy-In: $10.00/$1.00
    507 players
    Total Prize Pool: $20070.00
    Tournament started - 2004/11/08 - 16:45:00 (ET)

Dear PokerStuff,

You finished the tournament in 3rd place.
    A $1,916.69 award has been credited to your Real Money account.

You earned 261.39 tournament leader points in this tournament.

PokerStars Tournament #3200619, No Limit Hold'em
    Buy-In: $10.00/$1.00
    540 players
    Total Prize Pool: $19220.00
    Tournament started - 2004/11/06 - 16:30:00 (ET)

Dear PokerStuff,

You finished the tournament in 3rd place.
    A $1,835.51 award has been credited to your Real Money account.

You earned 269.77 tournament leader points in this tournament.

PokerStars Tournament #3200595, Limit Hold'em
    Buy-In: $30.00/$3.00
    180 players
    Total Prize Pool: $5400.00
    Tournament started - 2004/11/05 - 23:00:00 (ET)

Dear PokerStuff,

You finished the tournament in 1st place.
    A $1,620.00 award has been credited to your Real Money account.

You earned 332.82 tournament leader points in this tournament.
  • good week, congratz, enjoy that chunk of change heh
    now take $20 and play in the pokerstars 20+2 pokerforum event tomorrow :)
  • Wow. Congrats to everyone (including the overly modest people who didn't post yet) on the great results. No wonder the PokerForum.ca tourneys are so freaking hard. :)

My biggest single tournament win was ~$2,800 for finishing 3rd out of around 900 in one of the Stars $11+R tourneys. :cool:

With the handy forum Search feature, I was able to dig up this very long (but in bite-sized pieces) tournament report if you're interested:

http://pokerforum.ca/forum/search.php?searchid=13100

Note that the threads appear in "last post" order, and not in tournament chronological order.

Say, anybody on this forum ever take a ~$33,000 pull from a single tourney? That would be impressive. ;)

ScottyZ
  • Pigga wrote:
    good week, congratz, enjoy that chunk of change heh
    now take $20 and play in the pokerstars 20+2 pokerforum event tomorrow :)

Ty :) , did you play any WPT sats after taking down all those 3rebuy events? I think I'm playing a live tournament tomorrow so I might miss the Pokerforum event, but I'll have to catch the next one for sure.
  • AcesUp wrote:
    Ty :) , did you play any WPT sats after taking down all those 3rebuy events? I think I'm playing a live tournament tomorrow so I might miss the Pokerforum event, but I'll have to catch the next one for sure.

unfortunately not, i work on saturdays so i cant play them unless i call in sick :cough cough: ;)
    i usually play the satellites just to sell my entrys though i can make ok money doing them during wcoop season, i had won 5 seats into the $200+15 rebuy event for wcoop, sold those entrys and then recently 2 $650 wpt entry seats but sold them as well
  • Pigga wrote:
    unfortunately not, i work on saturdays so i cant play them unless i call in sick :cough cough: ;)
    i usually play the satellites just to sell my entrys though i can make ok money doing them during wcoop season, i had won 5 seats into the $200+15 rebuy event for wcoop, sold those entrys and then recently 2 $650 wpt entry seats but sold them as well

Pigga, How do you sell the seats?
  • Say, anybody on this forum ever take a ~$33,000 pull from a single tourney? That would be impressive. ;)

Sounds vaguely familiar, but I'm more about the future than the past.... ;)

2 more days to Regina... 2 more days to Regina...

Cheers,
    all_aces
  • Dead Money wrote:
    Pigga, How do you sell the seats?
    on poker stars, just go to the tourny and click unregister

the money goes back into your account
  • Just finished back to back top 10 finishes... In $1+0 MTTs though. lol

still good to get 4th and 7th, and good practise I guess. The 4th is the highest Ive ever gotten, although someone I help out a lot finished 1st in a 50 cent micro tourney (41 bux from 50 cents aint bad). So I'll count that has half a win. :-)

G.