play-money games online ?

Can anyone tell me what are the benefits (if any) of playing in "play money" games online?

It seems like people play recklessly and aggressively-loose simply because it's fake money and they can always be assigned more if they bust out. Even at high-blind tables where people have won lots.

So is it fair to say that playing "play money" online is a waste of time, simply because it does not represent "real" poker ?

Although - it does give you a very good changes to "practice", and to see *many* *many* hands without losing any real money in the process.

Just curious what is everyone's opinion on the subject ?

~ :spade:

Comments

• If you ask me, you are better off finding a site that offers $0.01/$0.02 limit poker and play there because people will be playing more realistically, although still somewhat recklessly. Play money tables/tourneys are simply for learning the game, but they won't teach you much more than that, in my opinion.
  • I think there is a little to be learned from playing for free.
    Once you get down to 3 or 4 people in a 10 man Sng for example most the time these people actually do want to win, so you will find some ok play here - but at the beginning there are usually some crazies....

Also you can build up you confidence to start spending real $.
    I played and kept track of about 35-40 free 10 man NL SnG's.

Once the numbers showed that I was very profitible at that - I wasn't as scared to start spending real money.

If you are new to poker playing for free does have its benefits but you do have to remember that once you start playing for real money people tighten right up and won't take as many chances...

Good luck :canada:
  • Playing play money imo is a waste of time.....even at the higher NL tables (100-200) b/c ppl will still do the push all in w/ any 2 cards regardless if losing 40k at a time or 1000/2000 at the 5-10NL play money table....its not realistic in any sense when i saw my cousin playing and had AA cracked by 72o by runner runner 2 pair (all in preflop).......if your wanting to get some decent expierence for little money i'd agree w/ .01/.02 limit or even $5 sngs to get decent expierence for little money

:)
  • Can anyone tell me what are the benefits (if any) of playing in "play money" games online?

1. It can help you to learn the mechanics (where the fold/call/raise buttons are, etc) of a site you're playing on for the first time.

[PA crackling noise] That is all.

I sure hope someone wrote an article in the November CPP magazine that addresses this issue... :cool:

ScottyZ
  • ...even at the higher [play money] NL tables

High-limit play money tables. I found this amusing for some reason. ;)

Sort of like the high-limit back room at the Bellagio. But in the far corner of your kitchen, or possibly even the dining room. Away from the low-limit play money scum at the kitchen table.

ScottyZ
  • Also you can build up you confidence to start spending real $.
    I played and kept track of about 35-40 free 10 man NL SnG's.

Once the numbers showed that I was very profitible at that - I wasn't as scared to start spending real money.
    Interesting point st0neC0ldNutz, may I ask if you have been profitable since you started spending "real" money?

I guess my underlying question is "does consistent winning at the play money table build _false_ confidence towards playing the game, or can it actually help your game?"

p.s. Scotty - I like your answer, hahaha.
  • does consistent winning at the play money table build _false_ confidence towards playing the game...?

In addition to, and far worse than, developing a false confidence in your abilities, you are very likely to learn a lot of incorrect information about how to play poker. Specifically, you will observe a lot of opponent behaviour that is not a good approximation (it's not even close) to your typical real money opponents. For the most part, the strategies which you may learn to use to beat these games are not going to be useful in real money games.

Actually, now that I think about it, the play money tables may very well be good practice for the rebuy period in the Stars $11+R tourneys. :cool:

The best ways I have found to practice for free money against human beings are:

1. PokerStars freeroll tournaments

2. A mixture of humans and bots at

www.cs.ualberta.ca/~games/poker/

Playing for even *very* small amounts of real money helps. My girlfriend and I sometimes play heads-up freeze-outs. If we're not playing for money we're both not playing our best games. But if we each put in one Canadian dollar, the sunglasses and poker faces go on, and suddenly it's something more like Johnny Chan and Cindy Violette going at it.

ScottyZ
  • I'm going to buck the trend here and say play money poker does have some value. Just keep in mind, you are getting what you pay for. I would agree that in terms of opponents skill level, play money is not a good indication. But play money games does give you a ton of exposure to a variety of hand situations, usually in multiway pots. It quickly will hammer in points of why playing premium hands is the way to beat these overly loose games. Learning obvious lessons like why bluffing a calling station is not going to win you money. You will also gain first-hand experience of why it is dangerous to draw to the low end of a straight or a low flush in these types of games. I would recommend the high limit NL games over the limit games (as these will have players to the river). If you look hard enough you can find the occaisional game where new people are trying to actually learn the game and play decent. Of course you will find the occaisional nimrod that will push allin on his first hand, and players that will make exceptionally bad calls, because there is no real downside to doing this. I would suggest microlimit if you can afford it, but if not, playgames are fine to pickup the mechanics of the game, just don't expect the play of your opponents to be very sophisticated.

PS: You will see some incredibly crazy plays for real money as well. There are maniacs out there (or drunks). Had a guy call 2 players allin for 30 - 40 in a .25-.50 NL game the other day with J-2 suited...
  • I sure hope someone wrote an article in the November CPP magazine that addresses this issue... :cool:
    I sure hope he knows what the hell he's talking about... ;)
  • ScoobyD wrote:

PS: You will see some incredibly crazy plays for real money as well. There are maniacs out there (or drunks). Had a guy call 2 players allin for 30 - 40 in a .25-.50 NL game the other day with J-2 suited...

Ya but it was soooooted! Actually i was playing a SNG this morning, 7 people left and blinds getting really high. 200/100 blinds I have 700 left as SB, everybody folds to me. I go all in with J2 suited hoping the BB folds to me. He called and shows Cowboys but I hit a 2 on the flop and a 3rd 2 on the turn. I felt bad for him for that shitty beat.

I totally agree though, you get some really nutso players that will call anything with nothing.
  • 0xDeadBeef wrote:
    Interesting point st0neC0ldNutz, may I ask if you have been profitable since you started spending "real" money?

Well I have only played 6 real $ Sng's and so far I am in the money. Not by much but....still. I will have to play more and update you all in the future. But for sure I have not finished in like 10th place each time....not even close....so have the free games helped me? Well, I think I just feel more relaxed and confident since I am used to the environment...other that that...playing for real $ is a whole new ball game. Learn what you need to, then start spending the small coin !

:canada: