What training site to choose?

I believe there was a thread about this previously, but I thought I would ask the pro's about this.

I have been playing poker for about 8-10 months now and have improved quite a bit, simply because I have researched and learned as much as I could in that time period.

Ever since I started I always told myself I would buy a membership to one of the training sites right when I knew I was in this game for the long-run.

So, I now have the 'extra' cash to join one of these sites and I know that my love for poker and learning poker is going to continue for the rest of my life. I dont' know why I didn't get into this game earlier!!!

Either way, I am here to ask what training site you think is the best.

I mostly play 10man SnG's, but have been wanting to improve my cash game, and I have been thinking about playing more MTT's.

I know PokerXFactor is great for MTT's and SnG's, but I've read it really doesn't do much for cash games.

I have been looking at PokerVT and like Daniel Negreanu's small ball strategy. I have done a lot of research into small-ball and it has helped my STT play quite a bit.

So, those are the two I have seriously looked into. I'm leaning toward PokerVT at the moment, but would like any info regarding any of the other sites.

Also, I really don't care much about promotion codes. I can get some for any of the sites I'm sure. Either way, I would rather pay more for a better site than get some money off for a site that won't help me as much.

Thank you very much for any information!!

Comments

• By no means am I bashing here, but obviously the pros here will recommend PokerPwnage - seeing how they're pros there.

I'm going to throw in a shameless plug and recommend you to check out the site Poker Training Guide established by one of our members. The site provides detailed information on the many poker training sites available and you can decide from there.

To be honest, I don't see how you can really consider it research if you look into training sites but did not see CardRunners. Thats like researching about depositing money into an online poker site but completely missing out on PokerStars
  • I recommend Deucescracked. They have a cash game focus now, but are moving into tournaments too. They offer a free week trial so check them out.
  • If you want to focus on MTT and SNGs PokerXfactor is the best by miles and miles. It is the best training site for tournaments hands down.

Cardrunners is the best for cash games by far. If you are planning on learning 6max then CR is filled with 6max videos, however FR is a different story. They have like 1/10 the amount of FR videos compared to 6max... so I guess it depends which one you would like to learn.

I had a membership with PokerVT when it started, and honestly its crap... I canceled in like 2 months. they have a really fancy and amazing looking website, but to be honest the content is very marginal at best. For someone trying to learn new high level plays and strategies pokerVT is not where you want to go, its more geared towards people who are in the earlier stages of their poker education.
  • westside8 wrote: »
    By no means am I bashing here, but obviously the pros here will recommend PokerPwnage - seeing how they're pros there.

I'm going to throw in a shameless plug and recommend you to check out the site Poker Training Guide established by one of our members. The site provides detailed information on the many poker training sites available and you can decide from there.

To be honest, I don't see how you can really consider it research if you look into training sites but did not see CardRunners. Thats like researching about depositing money into an online poker site but completely missing out on PokerStars

I thought about the fact that they would promote their own after I posted this. It slipped my mind. I will check them out right now.

However, at what point in time did I say I researched into all of these sites?

I remember saying this...

"So, those are the two I have seriously looked into. I'm leaning toward PokerVT at the moment, but would like any info regarding any of the other sites"

And the spot I mentioned 'research' was earlier and I said....

"I have been playing poker for about 8-10 months now and have improved quite a bit, simply because I have researched and learned as much as I could in that time period"

Also, I have looked at a few sites that rate different poker training sites. I came here bcause one of them says PokerVT is amazing and the content is great. The other one says it isn't that good and not worth it.

So, instead of relying on the all mighty affiliated based web-sites out there (maybe they go with the company that will give highest affiliate sales percent?), I decided I should ask people who will give honest opinions. No offence to the individual on these forums that created their own web-site for this. I've just done affiliate marketing before and know how this kind of stuff happens.

So, yeah, that's why I'm here.

I also didn't mention that I didn't see CardRunners. Maybe you should read a little more carefully before you decide to not bash someone.

Thanks Big Mike. I'll check out Deucescracked for sure.

NoVeLTeK does PokerXfactor have a good math portion of their site? To be honest, this is what made me look into PokerVT more. Their math side looks to go quite in depth. Math has always been a strong point of mine, so I would like to learn a lot of poker math.

Also, I've heard PokerVT went from crap to good. What content did you think was crap about it? I feel like you're right and that it's just a nice looking site but that's about it. Like I said, I mainly wanted to look into it cause of the math portion it has. Doesn't sound like it's worth 150 startup if the rest of it is crap though.

Has anyone else here tried PokerVT?

Now I'm leaning toward PokerXFactor.
  • if you want math, do the deuces cracked free week trial. it has a very good series on the math of poker and it is not just the basics. you can download the series and play it back whenever you want.
  • Adpro, the site that Wes mentioned is mine, and I can assure you that we gave unbiased reviews of all the training sites. I chose not to originally post in this thread since I didn't feel it was right to talk about other sites in a pokerpwnage sponsored section. But since everybody else gave their opinion, I might as well. Here are some point form notes

- pokerpwnage will IMO be one of the top sites for mtt training. If that is your goal, I would sign up there.
    - deucescracked is the best bang for your buck for cash games
    - cardrunners/stoxpoker, the new full tilt promotion is huge. Tons of content in all areas on these 2 sites.
    - pxf. Right now prob the leader for sng/mtt training
    - pokervt. Potential for greatness. Current stuff is great. The only concern I have is the frequency of new material.
    - pokersavvy: great overall site, alternative ways to earn memberships is a plus
    - rpt. decent stuff, cdn owned.
    - sngicons - top of the class if your looking for just sng training
    - leggo - very good cash game site
    - grinderschool: very cheap and affordable for low limit players
    - pokerzion: mentoring style training.

Other factors you might want to look at is if the videos are downloadable, require drm, ipod compatable, payment options, etc. Feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions.
  • Thank you both for your replies.

I'm going to take a look at the DeucesCracked videos you mentioned and look into those other sites mentioned.

Thanks for letting me know you use an unbiased opinion in your ratings of these sites. That's always good to know.

I think I can take it from here.

On a side note, sorry to the PokerPwnage Pro's on here for posting this in here. I wasn't thinking when I posted it. Maybe this should be moved into the general area???

Again, sorry about that and thanks to everyone for their input.
  • Here's why I believe that for mtt play Pokerpwnage is the best available:

As a totally MTT focused site you get total game development for MTT play like no other site can offer you. Here's what we offer that sets us apart:

-Pro's that are truly dedicated to your development as a poker player.
    -Weekly member tournaments that give a free one on one lesson to the top three finishers
    -Every member question in our forum receives an answer from a pro(usually within a couple hours)
    -More MTT pros than any other training site.
    -Videos that demonstrate ground breaking concepts on strategy

Here are just a few of our pros:
    Sketchy1, USCphildo, Ghettofabolous, Wretchy, Rdcrsn, TitanTom32, Assassinato, BrandonPL, Nsinger, Chardrian
  • not to mention your incredible responsiveness
  • I think I second the responsiveness. Been waiting for a reply from the site regarding signing up...
  • Alright..personally, I am stuck between PXF and icons...pxf definitely seems to have a much more professional layout, and larger selection of videos..but is slightly more money. Something (not sure which) about Icons though grabs me and I am wondering if anyone has tried both? I am interested in the STT and Mtt aspects.
  • I think I second the responsiveness. Been waiting for a reply from the site regarding signing up...
    We reply to all questions within 24 hours at most, usually much faster. Did you email us and not receive a response within 24 hours?
  • pkrfce9 wrote: »
    not to mention your incredible responsiveness

I'm pretty confused by what you're trying to say here. I've answered every question posed to me here. I generally check in here every few days since there aren't all that many questions posted. I play poker professionally and have an extremely busy schedule so jumping in here to answer questions every single day isnt an option.
  • it is called humour. never mind.

don't get me wrong. i'm happy you are able to contribute here.
  • herschelw wrote: »
    We reply to all questions within 24 hours at most, usually much faster. Did you email us and not receive a response within 24 hours?

Yes, I did email you through the form on your site...no, I haven't received a reply.
  • Yes, I did email you through the form on your site...no, I haven't received a reply.
    You should have gotten a reply from us now. Per our conversation by PM we do take a few days to get back to coaching requests and tbh we were horribly slow at replying to them this week. Any issues that our members have are always replied to in under 24 hours. We're working on automating the coaching request system. If you still havent received a reply the form must not have gone through since we've now replied to all coaching requests we have received up to this point.
  • I joined PokerStars through Pokersource.com and noticed that one of the bonus options is a three-month subscription to PokerXFactor (otherwise requires 20,000 PSO points). Signing up directly with PokerXFactor costs U$194.80 for 3 months. Has anybody taken advantage of this yet? Does anybody know if there's a deadline for activating the 3-month subscription?
    actyper wrote: »
    - pxf. Right now prob the leader for sng/mtt training
  • Is any forumer a current member of PokerXFactor? I just received my free membership for 3 months starting today, but I'm hoping it will let me delay my membership so I can maximize my playing time now instead of taking time out to study the videos.