The Donk Threshold?

I've been having a lot of frustration recently when playing online poker, when it comes to finding games where other players actions are decided by actual logic.

I usually play in the 1-12$ games, ranging from 18-180 seats. Every game I find myself surrounded by players who have no idea what they're doing, and as a result, I'm busting early because I have no idea where the other player is at.

Where, from your experiences, will I be able to find some good poker happening? At what buy-in, which websites, hell what time of day should I play some poker, in search of players who don't call all-ins with 10-6... and get paid off?

Comments

• I know it's frustrating when you keep getting hosed by a bunch of donks, but you have to remember that they keep the game profitable. If you can't adjust your game to play those players (and not the cards) you'll be a losing player in no time.

Try to stay out of huge tournaments that rely on constant coin flips and generally remote bad play. Find a level of cash game/small Sngs that fits your bankroll and that are easier to beat. Instead of a $10 18 player sng, try two $5 single table games. Also I found that only playing non-tubro games seemed to help.
  • keep the pots small! If you play squeeky tight you should be cashing in STG's under $10 pretty easily.
  • mikeG_99 wrote: »
    I've been having a lot of frustration recently when playing online poker, when it comes to finding games where other players actions are decided by actual logic.

I usually play in the 1-12$ games, ranging from 18-180 seats. Every game I find myself surrounded by players who have no idea what they're doing, and as a result, I'm busting early because I have no idea where the other player is at.

Where, from your experiences, will I be able to find some good poker happening? At what buy-in, which websites, hell what time of day should I play some poker, in search of players who don't call all-ins with 10-6... and get paid off?

You make money from the horrible players.
    Playing good players will lose you money.
  • Let me get this straight - you are actually trying to find the good players? Please tell me how to find the bad players. I'll play them for you.
  • Seriously think about what you're saying. You can't beat bad players so what does that say about you?

Sorry to be blunt. But the notion that you'll have an easier time agianst good players is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. YOU WANT PLAYERS TO CALL YOUR ALL IN WITH 106!! They suckout w/e move on.
  • I understand where he is coming from. Nothing like a guy with A3o calling a solid raise against say KK or QQ and sucking out but again these are the guys that you profit from long term. Nothing like watching them turn over garbage after calling a large bet on the river. Of course suckouts happen and many will chase a flush draw etc. no matter what your raises. Without the nuts keep the pots modest if draws are on the table. IMO and I am def. no expert player.
  • my guess is you are trying to bluff against these players and then getting upset that the donk kept calling with crap cards. once you spot this type of player, you should quickly realize that they will not be folding in most situations. therefore, set them up when you have a good hand and take them down, don't try to bluff a calling station.
  • Heres a quote from a 2p2 guide on uNL cash games but it still applies when your up against a school of fish. Basically it is saying you cant outsmart someone in poker if they arent really playing poker:
    The players - herein referred to as fish - at the micro limits make mistakes almost every time they're given the choice to do something. As long as you play solid fundamental poker, they hang themselves. There's no need to be fancy whatsoever. All you do is keep making the right choices (like betting when you flop trips) based on the situation and they'll continue to make the wrong choices (like call a 3/4 pot turn bet hoping for 4 outs). In fact the fish only have one advantage over you: they're unpredictable. Most of their actions have no logic behind them and you will often be stupefied by what they do. You can't outplay someone if they aren't playing the same game you are. Thus the only option you have is to play solid fundamental poker and be patient. Eventually you win, and they lose.

I think unless you know you are up against some players with good numbers/regulars, just try to avoid bluffing, slowplaying, being fancy/tricky. They wont understand what you are trying to represent. Just play straightforward and you will win in the long run against them.