Gus Hansen, Every Hand Revealed.

The biggest thing I got from this book is to crank up the re-raise quotient.
What's his range for re-raise?
54o, 76o, QTo, K7o, A8o

I've changed my game a lot. I've been playing much more aggressive.

I've been crushing the games online lately. It may be just variance, but I think I make the price of the book back once an hour or so.

Comments

• The biggest thing I got from this book is to crank up the re-raise quotient.
    What's his range for re-raise?
    54o, 76o, QTo, K7o, A8o

I've changed my game a lot. I've been playing much more aggressive.

I've been crushing the games online lately. It may be just variance, but I think I make the price of the book back once an hour or so.

Good luck with that... I've been reraising with those hands for years and so far its been -ev :(
  • Graham wrote: »
    I've been reraising with those hands for years and so far its been -ev :(
    gus shows you when it makes sense to do this. timing is everything.
  • This thread made me consider quitting the forum forever.
  • I find his strategy works really well in live tournies, you just need to pull the trigger.

But your reads have to be spot on along with your player analysis....otherwise you just open up a whole can of worms....lol

Definitely a good read as I have always wondered how pros play from start to finish. They also do have 1 or 2 defining moments which shoot them up to the top of the leader board where it could have also ended their tournament very early.

I can see why so many pros bust out very early on.....I think for the most part Gus' manuvering in this book is pretty stable and it just so happens he makes 1 or 2 "oops" moves that work in his favour. Other than that, surprisingly he plays a solid game.
  • wow. that is HUGE
  • I should note that this book is probably bad for you if you can't play ABC poker.

This book would be very bad for a beginner to read and try to implement.
    There is a fine line between being an aggressive and a chip spewer.
  • If any of the forumers I see want to swap their Every Hand Revealed or Kill Everyone with my 518-page Power Hold'em Strategy by Negreanu, please let me know.
    I should note that this book is probably bad for you if you can't play ABC poker.
  • Book swap is a good idea. Though half the books in my library I have not read yet.
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    If any of the forumers I see want to swap their Every Hand Revealed or Kill Everyone with my 518-page Power Hold'em Strategy by Negreanu, please let me know.
    done. i will bring old gussy tonight (LATE tonight...)

if anybody has Kill Everyone, i'm looking for that one, too. amazon.ca doesn't seem to keep it in stock much
  • The Professor, the Banker, and the Suicide King: Inside the Richest Poker Game of All Time (Hardcover)

Any offers?
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    The Professor, the Banker, and the Suicide King: Inside the Richest Poker Game of All Time (Hardcover)

Any offers?
    hardcover? oooooooooh! i've only got the softcover. it is a great read.

i'd trade any book by mcevoy and/or cloutier for it, though. interested?
  • Agreed. Since I try to be an active reader, verifying the authors' calculations and conclusions (Negreanu's book has errors in both), I still haven't finished The Mathematics of Poker that I started reading back in 2006! :-[ I just received five more 2+2 books from their signup offer (Everest), so I have a lot of reading and lending to do.

I just hope pkrfce9 won't be blowing his load on my book while he's examining Negreanu's "Small Ball". ;)
    actyper wrote: »
    Book swap is a good idea. Though half the books in my library I have not read yet.
  • pkrfce9 wrote: »
    hardcover? oooooooooh! i've only got the softcover. it is a great read.

i'd trade any book by mcevoy and/or cloutier for it, though. interested?

sounds good; got some titles?
  • Does anyone want to join/start a directed reading group? What books is everyone interested in reading/discussing? (So far I've bought and I still have to read.) Sit and Go Strategy, by Colin Moshman. Winning in Tough Hold'em Games. (I still have to buy and read) Kill Everyone Elements of Poker.
  • I am interested in a study group for Power Hold'em, Every Hand Revealed, The Mathematics of Poker, HOCG v2, The Theory of Poker, Mason Malmuth's Poker Essays Volumes 1-3 and eventually Kill Everyone, but I don't think we'll have enough active participants in this forum. Maybe you can post what you think is the most debatable hand from Gus Hansen's book and see if there's enough interest.

I'm currently reading his "Crucial Hand 2" on pages 25-28, and since pkrfce9 didn't leave any cheat notes for me, ;) I'm trying to understand Gus' equity-based analysis which is different from the ex-showdown EV analysis that I would do. Given the almost "certain read" that Gus had against his raising opponent, my intuition would be that the correct $EV-maximizing play would have been to flat-call the turn instead of re-raising all-in that Gus did.
    Does anyone want to join/start a directed reading group? What books is everyone interested in reading/discussing? (So far I've bought and I still have to read.) Sit and Go Strategy, by Colin Moshman. Winning in Tough Hold'em Games. (I still have to buy and read) Kill Everyone Elements of Poker.
  • Heard good things about Moshman's SnG book, haven't picked it up or anything like that, but probably will pick it up sometime down the road.
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    I'm currently reading his "Crucial Hand 2" on pages 25-28, and since pkrfce9 didn't leave any cheat notes for me, ;) I'm trying to understand Gus' equity-based analysis which is different from the ex-showdown EV analysis that I would do. Given the almost "certain read" that Gus had against his raising opponent, my intuition would be that the correct $EV-maximizing play would have been to flat-call the turn instead of re-raising all-in that Gus did.

[/quote] True, Gus admits that pushing is a mistake and flat calling and folding if the board pairs is a slightly more EV play...
  • LOL at me!

Looking over my stats since I finished reading the Gus book shows some interesting results.

1. My attempt to steal binds is super high 44%
    2. I'm winning money in every position, even the SB and BB, except the Button (-6.3bb/100).
    3. I'm 5.5BB/100 (tiny sample size of 15K hands) in spite of my awful button play.
    4. Re-stealing is fun but expensive.

Conclusion,

Stop trying to steal everything from the button!
    Stop 3 betting with junk on the button!

I must be playing pretty awful to be losing money on the button. But I guess it's part of the learning to re-steal process.

Blind defense in the sb and bb seems to be working well.

Suggestions?
  • Just ordered this yesterday, should be here soon. I have heard some good things about this book, look forward to reading it.
  • westside8 wrote: »
    Heard good things about Moshman's SnG book, haven't picked it up or anything like that, but probably will pick it up sometime down the road.

You should read the Moshman's book after reading the Harrington on Holdem I-III, he assumes you've read them. I really like the Moshman book. Highly recommended.
  • Please bring that book when I see you next. Hopefully, I'll give pkrfce9 his book back soon to complete our inter-library loan. :)
    You should read the Moshman's book