OUCH !

My whole nights been like this....
Im Timesmog..comments welcome....

PokerStars Game #320086723: Tournament #1064717, Hold'em Limit - Level II (30/60) - 2004/03/05 - 23:28:17 (ET)
Table '1064717 10' Seat #7 is the button
Seat 1: selyograg (1570 in chips)
Seat 2: trapper2222 (1770 in chips)
Seat 3: pens66 (1335 in chips)
Seat 4: Timesmog (1055 in chips)
Seat 5: OYC007 (1735 in chips)
Seat 6: Cedu Wedu (1475 in chips)
Seat 7: tsunami sjp (1550 in chips)
Seat 8: TeeMarker (1450 in chips)
Seat 9: High177 (1560 in chips)
TeeMarker: posts small blind 15
High177: posts big blind 30
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Timesmog [Ks Jh]
selyograg: folds
trapper2222: folds
pens66: folds
Timesmog: calls 30
OYC007: calls 30
Cedu Wedu: folds
tsunami sjp: raises 30 to 60
TeeMarker: folds
High177: folds
Timesmog: calls 30
OYC007: calls 30
*** FLOP *** [Kh Ad Ah]
Timesmog: bets 30
OYC007: folds
tsunami sjp: calls 30
*** TURN *** [Kh Ad Ah] [As]
Timesmog: bets 60
tsunami sjp: calls 60
*** RIVER *** [Kh Ad Ah As] [9c]
Timesmog: bets 60
tsunami sjp: raises 60 to 120
Timesmog: raises 60 to 180
tsunami sjp: raises 60 to 240
Betting is capped
Timesmog: calls 60
*** SHOW DOWN ***
tsunami sjp: shows [Ac Qc] (four of a kind, Aces)
Timesmog: mucks hand
tsunami sjp collected 885 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 885 | Rake 0
Board [Kh Ad Ah As 9c]
Seat 1: selyograg folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: trapper2222 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: pens66 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: Timesmog mucked [Ks Jh] - a full house, Aces full of Kings
Seat 5: OYC007 folded on the Flop
Seat 6: Cedu Wedu folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: tsunami sjp (button) showed [Ac Qc] and won (885) with four of a kind, Aces
Seat 8: TeeMarker (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 9: High177 (big blind) folded before Flop

Comments

• Been there, know exactly how you feel. It feels like if you got quads next hand someone would have the SF.
  • YES!!
    Exactly...oh well some days it easy...just not many :roll:
  • He raised preflop on the button with 2 callers in front which probably indicates a strong hand and he wasn't trying to steal the blinds. I don't question betting into him on the flop to get some information. And Since he only called, I can see why you bet again. Maybe he's a weak player and he's hanging on to QQ or JJ. But why let it get capped on the river. If you think he's bluffing, just call it. At best you're splitting the spot anyways. and its early in the tourney, why waste your chips.

And what did you put him on?
  • Here are some thoughts.

Pre-flop: Fold. No reason to get involved with a bad hand in the early rounds of a tournament.

Flop: I would personally check and fold if I somehow managed to get here. This board is too threatening. You are most likely behind with no outs. If you are actually winning, you will get no more value bets-- sensible players with hands as good as QQ, and draws will get out. (And if the players are not sensible, you can pick a much better spot than this.) The pre-flop raiser *just calling* should have set off loud obnoxious alarm bells and the word SLOWPLAY should have run across your mind in sparkly letters.

Turn: Here's where I'm really wondering what the purpose of betting is. This is a perfect turn card to go into check and call mode. If you truly believe your hand is good, you can't bet here... it's time to go into "induce bluffs if you're winning, save bets if you're losing" country. What worse hand is your opponent going to call you with here? Does your opponent reasonably have QQ or worse at this point? No. QQ can't call on that flop, and even if QQ makes a bad call on the flop, it can't call again on the turn. Even (and this is a longshot) a drawing hand like Jh Th can't call on the turn now either. Opponent calling = more alarm bells.

River: I wouldn't bet out for the same reason as the turn. The river card clearly changes nothing. Why *re-raise* the river? What hand could your opponent possibly have played this way to this point, calling all the way and raising on the river, that you are winning against? Calling the raise would not be horrible, but re-raising is.

ScottyZ
  • For what it's worth (not much) I like the way you played this, up untill the river. I like the bet for info on the flop. Now it is narrowed down to two players.
    4th street: I think you still have to bet here also but on the river you should have only called the raise. Guys will go to the river with shit sometimes so I think you had to call.

Having said all that I am sure that scotty is correct with the fold pre-flop but I would have played it your way untill the river. :oops: This is the problem with not folding weak cards pre flop, you get stuck..

ScottyZ wrote:
    River: I wouldn't bet out for the same reason as the turn. The river card clearly changes nothing. Why *re-raise* the river? What hand could your opponent possibly have played this way to this point, calling all the way and raising on the river, that you are winning against? Calling the raise would not be horrible, but re-raising is.
    ScottyZ
  • Thanks for the feed back ... looking at it I can see the cap on the river was a mistake , I thought he was weak with a mid pair. Im still learning & these comments help alot.
    Cheers