Betting into a dry side pot

So last night we are approaching the bubble in an MTT and the following came up.

One player is all in, with myself and another player in the hand.
There is no side pot and conventional wisdom....yada yada check it down yada yada.
The other player has a huge stack that he's been pretty tight with prelop and passive with post flop. He likes his chips.
I flop TP so-so kicker and I am 90% sure I can get the big stack to fold (he has me outchipped 2:1) as he does not want to risk his chips.
So I shove into the dry pot.
He folds.
I loose the hand to turned trips by the all in.
The big stack said he would have had a str8 and that I was a moron for the shove. He went on for a while about this.....yada yada yada.

Now the reason for the push (in my twisted mind) was to prevent him for getting anymore chips and the short stack was a bad player that I (or others) could get chips from. While the big stack was clinging to them for life.

Was this such a bad play?
Asbestos suit on

Comments

• Well, if he made his str on the river would he just check it down?

You have a hand. Yes eliminating the stack is important but you need to accumulate chips too.

Betting ok bluffing no no
  • perfectly standard play... if you think you are ahead of the all in player bet and protect your hand
  • sklansky has very clear reasons to indicate when you should check it down. were any of those present in that situation? i doubt it.
  • Guys that complain about betting into dry pots, target them during bubble periods.
  • actyper wrote: »
    Guys that complain about betting into dry pots, target them during bubble periods.

exactly!
    Translate that to, please steal my chips!
  • i agree with your play. you dont want him having a chance especially when you think you may have both of them beat at the time
  • I'm a dissenter...it depends on what your tpwk was, did it need protecting?

I'm guessing you called an all in with ace-face-ish? My feeling is that betting your a-j here is probably a little stupid.
  • I think you are missing one critical piece of information in this post and that is the size of the tournament. If you are approaching the bubble but the bubble is at 100 players, then I am not as interested in eliminating a player as I am in accumulating chips or stopping someone else from accumulating chips. If the bubble is at 9 players, then I would change my strategy.

I have also considered the advantage I have at the table during bubble play. If the table is being passive and the blinds are high, I don't mind risking keeping a short stack at the table for a few more orbits.
  • This is one of those situations where a lot of people assume the correct thing to do is check it down against the all -in without regard to the context of the situation.

25 left, 24 advance in a sattelite - sure check it down, but I have had people yell when I bet into a dry pot with about 3000 to go to the money on Stars as if eliminating the guy with 80 chips was essential.

Large stacks should bet into dry pots more then smaller stacks close to the bubble since in theory the bubble will make many players play scared, so go for it and expect people to whine at you after.
  • I think you are missing one critical piece of information in this post and that is the size of the tournament. If you are approaching the bubble but the bubble is at 100 players, then I am not as interested in eliminating a player as I am in accumulating chips or stopping someone else from accumulating chips. If the bubble is at 9 players, then I would change my strategy.

This pretty much sums up how I feel about it. If the body being eliminated moves everyone into the money and it's a 'decent' prize, then check it down. If it's for less than the buy-in (which I've seen occasionally) or some other insignificant amount then bet away, and hope he calls with a worse hand... Just don't go all-in yourself (which I've also seen alot of for some reason) where if the big stack ends up catching, 2 of you rail out.

I don't know if TP-OKK qualifies either. Why push your tiny edge here when getting the body out is more important AND potentially they can catch you on later streets (where he may have just gone ahead and finished the check-down).
  • Hobbes can you tell us what you had please? I think it actually makes a huge difference on how to play this hand. I had an interesting conversation with another forumer...if I'm right and you're a-10 or better.
  • Kristy_Sea wrote: »
    Hobbes can you tell us what you had please? I think it actually makes a huge difference on how to play this hand. I had an interesting conversation with another forumer...if I'm right and you're a-10 or better.

KJs
    I was more interested in dealing with the check-down wisdom in this thread. I hit my K.

Like I said, my primary goal here was to keep the chips away from the big stack and I think the thread got away from this.
    I was in no way afraid of the short stack getting the pot. From what I had seen he had pretty much luckboxed this far.
  • yes, but because it is a 'check down' position I think you are making a bigger mistake by betting that flop.

His range for a check to you has opened up tremendously and your bet is only getting called or raised by hands that have you crushed. Maybe bet a safe turn, but I think it might be foolish to get frisky here; not wanting the chips to go to the big stack doesn't change that.
  • Hobbes wrote: »

Was this such a bad play?
    Asbestos suit on

Yeah, how did you call an allin with KJs in a multiway pot and/or with players left to act?