Sigh

Once again, the US judicial system proves beyond a shadow of doubt that it doesn't work:

http://tinyurl.com/35ta3

One of the strangest and surprising verdicts I've heard of in a while. It's beyond me how the shakiest of circumstantial hearsay evidence can lead to a guilty verdict, while actual physical evidence (such as the accused's blood and DNA all over the f***ing crime scene) can lead to an innocent verdict.

What a world.

ScottyZ

Comments

• What gets me is she dumped $228,000 in stock and it saved her from losing $51,000.

Peanuts when you think about how much money she has. Also consider the money she is going to lose in her own company now.

Not to mention the prison time that she may (probably will) have to serve.

Seems like a pretty hefty price to pay to save $51,000 in stock...
  • Classic American.
  • <sarcasm>Well, at least none of the Matha Stewart jurors had anything against women...<sarcasm>

Check out the last two pages of this document:

http://www.marthatalks.com/trial_update/Annexed_affidavits_and_exhbits.pdf

This juror seems to be a real piece of work. In addition to abusing his girlfriend, he is also suspected of embezzling around $30,000 to $50,000 from a childrens' baseball league. (Also see the document above for the affidavit to that effect.)

There is currently a motion to throw our the verdict in this case, since this particular juror lied on the juror's questionaire, and also indicated "class bias" in statements to the media after the trial. Probably the most famous quote was to the effect that this verdict was a "victory for the little guy".

An interesting quote, coming from such a small man.

ScottyZ
  • What a creep.

Not you, Scotty, the juror. :)
  • Agreed. I hope that along with (hopefully) setting aside the verdict, they actually *do* go after this guy for perjury (which they can do since he lied on the juror questionaire). It seems likely to me that they would be inclined to want to make a an example of this guy (and rightly so IMO) since both the case and this particular juror have been so much in the public eye.

ScottyZ
  • anyone hear about that guy in the states that worked as a beer taster for 20 years....sued claiming he became an alcoholic over it...i think he got $2 million+

crazy