My Royal Cup 3 Trip report - fun, funner and funnest

Warning: This story contains bad beats, beanie on DrTyore violence, lol flipaments and both the easiest $10 ever made on poker and the single greatest play I've ever seen.

Anyway, I arrive around 10:45am from Mississauga, get a beer and challenge the room to $5 flipaments. I guess people haven't grinded their bonuses for the month yet, because everyone is hemming and hawing about the money and I get no takers. Apparently, I need to wait for AcidJoe to show up before we get the action going. I guess the room needed Joe's approval before they joined in the action. Joe proceeds to win like 3 of 5 flips 4-9 handed. We have one hand where Joe and I are both dealt 86o 7 handed. Naturally we river the straight and split the pot. I proceed to drop about $30 pre-tournament. AJ drops $30 as well and calls it day.. haha.

The first game up is Limit Stud/PLO. I've been assigned to Stud (oh god no Zzz). Some poker ensues. I find that my table has 8 players left while others are down to 4 or 5. I proceed to get my money in against what would the 4 of the final 5 players ahead and they draw out. I bust 6th.

I believe this is when my single royal cup prediction comes true as I hear a loud "Woooo" in the room, which naturally is coming from DrTyore followed by a loud crash to the floor. Now, the details are a little sketchy, but I'm proud to note that I did call a "collapsing Mark from a table" in the thread previous to the start. It seems that our beloved noise machine got up on a chair for a patented "Mark Moment" and fell over. Mark claims that beanie pushed him over. Beanie claims he got a handful of package and I continue laughing (once I knew he was ok, it looks like a nasty fall actually).

So AcidJoe and I and about 7 other people proceed to flip a few more times and I lose. Joe wins and I make a mental note to bankroll Joe in any ultra turbo tournament he ever wants to play.

Next up was Limit HE. I was totally in the zone. As we got to three handed between myself, TNORTH, and I forgot his name but I'll just call him "crazy guy". We wasn't certifiable and he was a nice guy, but he was running over the table early busting people out with anything. Anyway, three handed and the following hand comes up:

I'm sitting with around 18K in chips and the blinds are 600/1200. "Crazy guy" has me outchipped by 2k and Tnorth's got the rest. I get AKo in the SB and raise Crazy's BB. Now, previous to this hand I had playing him as to minimize confrontations with bad hands, but I've also shown the table some big bluffs and I've bluffed Crazy off some hands too. His raising standards, to me, we're mostly legit but when it got shorthanded, he was doing a lot of raising. He'd fold if I raised but he'd open if left to him. Anyway, I raise his BB. He 3-bets me. I figure it means he's got a half-decent hand, but he may just think I'm stealing. I 4-bet and he 5-bets. I go into the tank. 5 bets * 1200 is about 6K in chips, but can I fold AK preflop? I say no way and 6-bet he 7 bets. I'm thinking I really pooched out this hand because I think he's got JJ+. problem is that 7*1200 = 8400 in chips, so it's about half my stack in the pot now. I know that I can't really fold any flop anyway and going to the river will be my stack. I either 8-bet and he 9-bets or I say "Ok, It looks like we're gonna just be going all-in, Do you want to just save time?" He responds with: "No, I think I want to see a flop" and calls my 8-bet. Flop comes 59J two clubs and he says "Ok, I'm ready to go all-in now". I've got like maybe 4-5k left and the pots a monster so I cant fold now but I think I'm behind to QQ or KK. I thought he wanted to see an ace-less flop to get the rest in. I sigh and call. He shows me AJo and IGHN.

I flip a few more times after that and actually win one for $25. I flip g00d.

It's time for NL, and I'm seated at a table with TNorth again and this time we're joined by Wolffhound, aka the assassin. Wolfy's had a few and bullying the table around with large raises. He busts the first guy off the table with A4 on a 484Q flop when KQ called him. He continues this vicious streak to the point where everyone on the table had about 2-3 stacks and he had the rest. Anyway, the hand that will haunt Tnorth forever follows:

Blinds are 200/400. Tnorth's in EP and raises to 600. Wolfy table captians the raise to 1600 or so. TNorth's got about 6k in chips, Wolfy has him easily covered. Flop comes 3Q3. Wolfy checks, Tnorth bets 1200. Wolfy moves all-in. Tim's thinking about it, looking around the table, talking to himself, trying to figure out if he's got the 3 or not. IMHO, the call wasn't happening. Wofly showed previously that he really does have hands when he does this early and I figured that north picked up on this. This is when Wolfy starts working him over. "Call or Fold, whatever man, it doesn't matter. If you think that you can do anything with the chips you've got left then you should fold. Otherwise you should call". This goes on for about a solid two minutes of Wolfy taunting TNorth. TNorth looks at the blind schedule (it was due for an increase after this hand) counts around his chips..

And calls! KQo. Wolfy shows 53o for trips and North exclaims "I KNEW YOU HAD IT!" Wolfy: "THEN WHY'D YOU CALL!" hahaha.. Wolffhound, my hat is off to you on that one. North comes back/leaves the table for the next ten minutes telling Wolfy he knew he had it. It was priceless.

I'm down to 2500 in chips 7 handed after the break. This was the first hand after the break. The SB and the BB weren't even back at the table yet, so we've actually only got 4 players. Blinds were 300/600. UTG folds, I push all-in with 34o. Elliot folds but the last player, a Milton Rock calls. I know I'm in serious trouble because those guys only call with AQ+, JJ+. I'm up against AQo and don't improve busting in 7th. I enjoy the ability to tell people that I busted out with 34o, it doesn't happen too often.

So that means I contributed a SFA amount of points to my team 6th, 3rd and 7th. I play g00t. Turns out the rest of the newbies followed my lead, because we had an absolutely atrocious showing at the unlimited hold them tables after a good start of Stud/PLO+LHE.

As the heads up matches are starting, I run into Elliot. He says that he thinks his teammate can win his heads up match 3 to 1. I say "Is that a bet? I'll take the odds on that one". He negotiates me down to 2 to 1. I consider it to be the easiest $10 that I ever made. If his guy was the greatest holdem player ever, he may be able to win 70% and I was getting 66% odds. Thanks for the free money. I still have to think about what I'm going to do with this windfall but I appreciate the advice of "splurging" with it ;)

The newbies go 1-6 heads up before my match, so theres no pressure on me this time around. I proceed to bust in like 29 hands as I overplay my hands preflop and on the flop against a very tight player. Dumb dumb dumb.

Also, AcidJoe gets the honor of busting to g2 this year. I pride myself on the fact that it took way more hands for me to lose to him last year. Joe proceeds to choke to me out when I tell him that :)

Anyways, I had a fun time. Good stories, it was nice to see the people of the forum again (or first time). The only suggestion I have to make towards the blind schedules is to just keep them increasing indefinitely. We had far too many games run over the 3 hour mark because of the insane tightness of players and the fact the blinds never got M's below 5 or 6.

Also, SOS, I assume you are considering retirement from Royal cups? I expect notarized pictures for any tournament you win and I want all that evidence presented before the next cup haha.

Edit #1: I just realized I don't have any drama to stir up this time around. Oh well. Better luck next year.

Comments

• It was nice to meet you. Sorry about the move to the US falling through. It took me a long time to find you. I kept looking for the guy with the eye patch.
  • Nice report, I'm not sure I believe it though no BBC drama bomb wtf? Excellent work encouraging degenerate 0EV gambling though.
  • I'm not sure I believe it though no BBC drama bomb wtf?

I think I've forgotten my way. My Role. My... raison d'etre.
  • Great report BBC! Nice to see you out again too. Thanks for teaching me Flips...too bad it cost me $30 to learn! :(
  • Just to clarify...

I was up on a chair (hell, it's almost expected now), and beanie came up behind me, put his arm between my legs from behind (yea, I don't know why either), kinda like a "low-blow" from wrestling. Anyways, a combination of him bumping me and the chair, chair tilts forward, and that damned gravity - bane of drunkards everywhere - and down goes the dirty one...

Luckily I hit the top part of the chair with my a$$ on the way down, and then it was a relatively gentle drop from there on....

No injuries - great report BBC

Mark
  • Great report BBC. Thanks for encouraging the flips as it paid for my lunch/dinner/tourney/beer. That 8 6 off was soooooo funny.
  • Great report BBC. A bunch of poker players in the room but no one willing to flip? Wtf?
  • Wolff's taunting of Tom into calling was well worth the price of admission. it's the stuff legends are made of.

:)
  • Good to meet you BBC.

Thanks for coming out.

Johnnie
  • Yes, believe it or not, "BBC Z" behaved like "such a nice young boy." :) He was so easy-going that I was about to ask him, "Are you really BBC Z or are you the last-minute replacement for him?" until "Crazy" knocked me out. I think "Crazy" was Cam's late replacement and his name is Bobby.

Is flipaments a hold'em game where everybody has to put in $5, or only if you want to play your hand?
    SirWatts wrote: »
    Nice report, I'm not sure I believe it though no BBC drama bomb wtf? Excellent work encouraging degenerate 0EV gambling though.
  • I just want to make it clear that I don't mean any disrespect to Bobby.. He was a fun guy to play poker with and we had some great back and forths during the three handed play.. (I folded Q8o on a Queen high flop when he checkraised the turn and he had QT). I just couldnt remember his name so I assigned a title..
    A bunch of poker players in the room but no one willing to flip? Wtf?

I must read too much 2p2 cuz most people in the room were confused as to what the hell I was talking about.
    Is flipaments a hold'em game where everybody has to put in $5, or only if you want to play your hand?

A true flipament would be headsup, both players pushing preflop on the first hand. We did it slightly different with everyone chipping in a fiver, getting delt two cards and then dealing the board. Best hand won. It's a good variance increasing game and it also shows you the mystic power of suited connectors in multiway pots.
  • BBC Z wrote: »
    It's a good variance increasing game and it also shows you the mystic power of suited connectors in multiway pots.

It's a BINGO at best!! But still alot of fun.
  • great report BBC_Z,

Glad that the surgery went well and you lost the patch.